Which hose clamp is best? (1 Viewer)

Which hose clamp works best?

Votes: 8 53.3%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
Replacing all hoses on 89 FJ62. Any opinions? #3 seems to have been really tight on the hose but still looks like it has been leaking and causing rust. Thanks for the input. Kinda boring poll. Sry.

7BE20877-E503-4A6D-AF11-79582E2CF488.jpeg

My vote is for #1. I redid hoses 6 months ago and used those hoop clamps with success. Sourced from city racer in bulk if I remember.

Thanks for the feedback.

Constant tension clamps (#2) are the best from my experience. #3 is just garbage, #1 can too easily cut into or crease the hoses if you aren't careful. The only real caveat to #2 is that it's best to not reuse them as they can lose their spring tension over time and heat/cool cycles.

Toyota used both 1 and 2 from the factory depending on the application. Lower radiator hoses used the wire/screw tension clamps and the upper radiator used the spring clamps. #3 is something someone added later. If you ar replacing hoses why not go back to the original design?

I am comfortable with whatever works. I’m about to remove a ton of the original type that you can see in the background of the pic that I didn’t list as a choice. Looks like they are proprietary and not reusable. Thx for the feedback.

I am comfortable with whatever works. I’m about to remove a ton of the original type that you can see in the background of the pic that I didn’t list as a choice. Looks like they are proprietary and not reusable. Thx for the feedback.
I would get replacements that are the same style as the old ones. They’re available from city racer. I replaced all my hoses and clamps a few years ago and used #3 and I wish I hadnt. I have some small leaks I have to keep my eye on. Do yourself a favor and go with OEM whenever possible.

In the background you can see the OEM clamp at the other end of hose #1. It looks like a pin type and I’m trying to find what is best to replace these as well as I’m pretty certain they are a one shot type clamp.

In the background you can see the OEM clamp at the other end of hose #1. It looks like a pin type and I’m trying to find what is best to replace these as well as I’m pretty certain they are a one shot type clamp.
You can still get those clamps. They’re good clamps. But you gotta destroy them to replace them.

You could also look at stainless ABA clamps. They look like number 3, but the thread grooves don't go all the way through so they are smooth on the inside. Plus they have a couple different widths so they work well on some of the smaller hoses. I'll try to grab a picture of mine installed.

When I did my 2H swap into an FJ60, I used them everywhere. Not a single leak when I started it back up. But I was very careful not to overtighten anything. I think that is key.

Last edited:
I think that is an Oetiker-style clamp. It has different stops such that it can be used over a range of tube OD. There is a special crimp plierd used to tighten them up.

I don't disagree those might have been installed at the factory, but that style does not show in the parts diagram. For that location it shows clamps are the same on both ends and that the spring clamp is used (your #2).

1618322380957.png

Wait wait wait, you guys aren't just using zip ties?

On a serious note, I try to use whatever was factory

Wait, you guys use a brandnew zip tie?

I used some of the rust proof stainless clamps for heater hoses but those all (x8) leaked and when tightened break or snap open so replaced with normal iron.

The non adjustable nr 2 when RE-used with new radiator hose (more proof to never reuse?) , it popped off three times, just before a 5000 km trip.
I tried not to fully squeeze it open, and maybe the new hose was smaller in diameter?
Anyway from thinking about a blown head gasket to just a new clamp:

1618323620318.png

As others have mentioned:

1 is OE
2 is similar to OE but doesn’t look OE

They’re both used in various spots on the cooling system and available new. I wouldn’t reuse the #2 type.

avoid 3 if you can.

there are these too. They look promising but I haven’t used them.

What is wrong with #3?

I know its not OEM, but I have been using them for the last 40 years and have never had a leak I could attribute to the clamp.

What is wrong with #3?

I know its not OEM, but I have been using them for the last 40 years and have never had a leak I could attribute to the clamp.

they work and I've certainly used my fair share of them but they can be overtightened and tend to damage the hose over time.

This has come up before regarding clamps.
My two clamps worth of experience.
Young kid the hose clamp seemed to work for everything. Problem is it clouded my mind into thinking it was the MacGyver of clamps.
Short stint turning VW Engines. ANY clamp worked.
Construction Bigger clamps, band clamps, stainless steel clamps.

Rebuilding head gasket on 97 FZJ80 3 winters ago
After removing many clamps, original factory, as second owner notes.
Many types used by Factory The " Sardine style " mechanical machine designed for 1 time use & "Removal"

#2 in Picture and background . Squeeze type 3 prong OEM
Found that these were worth there weight in gold. The original OEM clamps were still useable after 22 years. Yes did replace a few but found having the two different sizes handy.

In a pinch use what gets you home. Want it to last long and run as well as possible, go OEM.
Toyota has engineered these clamps so well that you will find its not about the tension its about the distribution of pressure.
The ease of application and " READJUSTMENT" . A Good clamp should readjust and move easily for many of the rubber hoses.
The tightening mechanism should not get in the way of other things. IE Bots, nuts, other clamps,
Small but simple advantage is when R&R the clamps. The clamp can be slid past the end of the pipe and released. Pull hose and clamp is still on hose. Reinstall.
OEM hose now has a specific spot for the clamp to be for the undecided like yknot.

Why OEM clamps, designed to be used with a simple pair of pliers.
TWO CLAMPS WORTH FROM YKNOT

@Onur set me up with all the needed clamps when I replaced my rad and water pump years ago Not one issue during or after the install. OEM is the most painless and reliable.
I can't say the same for high pressure gas lines on the Sniper install. I used Earl's brand and some leaking occured. Scary with high pressure fuel near exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom