Where was your Warn winch made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
I have participated in several winch debates here and elsewhere. I always push buying American made unless we are talking Toyota oem.

I'm replacing the solenoide and motor on my 2003 model Warn HS9500i and thought I would share the "country of origin" listed on the solenoid packages.

The motor appears to be of lesser quality than the original too, especially the brushes and their holders.

Keep in mind that I ordered
IMG_4918.JPG
these parts from an authorized Warn service center. Thanks Bill :mad:

Last edited:
IMG_4922.JPG
IMG_4921.JPG
IMG_4922.JPG
The solenoids seem to be identical in every way except the labeling.

The real prob is when the govt. kept sending every biz away with NAFTA and every other lil politician trick we should have flexxed our 2nd amendment but we didint and I digress.

You are probably right. Frustrating.

I live pretty close to the factory, and manufacturing facility, and I have had a really cool tour, most of your gears and important components, are made right here in Oregon. @Dork what is made in Canadia oh yeah hockey gear and maple syrup :moon:

I'm thinking that solenoids are just as important as any other part.
I live pretty close to the factory, and manufacturing facility, and I have had a really cool tour, most of your gears and important components, are made right here in Oregon. @Dork what is made in Canadia oh yeah hockey gear and maple syrup :moon:

Maple syrup is a national treasure.

And there probably isn't any hockey gear actually made here.

I'm thinking that solenoide are just as important as any other part.

Yes they are, but I'd rather the gears made here than mexico or any other foreign, country, getting electronics made here is not happening

Upgrade to a Badlands and report back.
I too bough the Chinese Made Warn. We shall see.
Was $500 for 10K.

I remember when I bought my brand new VR10000 in 2014 that the solenoids were Chinese and some parts had a Mexico label and some had USA...so basically just a Chevy, dodge or ford type of situation where they have cheap crap made in other countries and assemble it wherever with the minimum required percentage of US made parts to qualify it for the made in USA sticker. At least it's not like Chevy and ford where they have their parts cast and machined in Mexico and their product assembled in Mexico just across The border and finished with enough American part to qualify it. As mentioned by @shocktower they're assembled in Oregon...which isn't much better than China or Mexico because the whole state is high out of their minds anymore.

Don't blame the Mexicans or Chinese. The folks in Oregon made the decision and spec-ed the parts, whether they're made in the USA or elsewhere.

Don't blame the Mexicans or Chinese. The folks in Oregon made the decision and spec-ed the parts, whether they're made in the USA or elsewhere.
I don't think anyone has blamed Mexico or China for anything. I posted this as info only and did not intend to start a political debate.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has blamed the Mexico or China for anything. I posted this as info only and did not intend to start a political debate.

Good to hear that. So often these discussions do go there.

I've always found it a bit strange that some get uptight about the national origin of what we consume on a forum dedicated to a high quality, yet foreign made 4x4. The ultimate standard is performance. Either it works well or it...it's something less. The US produces some great stuff, but we don't have a monopoly on it either. The world market system that has come into effect in the last few decades means that many manufacturers of significance often compete, not just against other producers in their home country, but against other producers across the world. The Land Cruiser was and is one of the early, leading examples of how a superior, imported product becomes dominant in many marketplaces.

While there are still significant difference in quality in some product lines, products from many nations have become quite competitive globally -- and the managers of those who haven't often aspire to. Warn seems to have taken this to heart, but the cost factor is also at play in such manufacturing decisions. Will quality be sacrificed to lower costs or will the same or better quality product be the result? This has less to do with where such decisions are made than it does with how and why. Is the goal a superior product or simply to cut costs regardless of the resulting quality? The end user will find out soon enough, as your thread suggests.

Good to hear that. So often these discussions do go there.

I've always found it a bit strange that some get uptight about the national origin of what we consume on a forum dedicated to a high quality, yet foreign made 4x4. The ultimate standard is performance. Either it works well or it...it's something less. The US produces some great stuff, but we don't have a monopoly on it either. The world market system that has come into effect in the last few decades means that many manufacturers of significance often compete, not just against other producers in their home country, but against other producers across the world. The Land Cruiser was and is one of the early, leading examples of how a superior, imported product becomes dominant in many marketplaces.

While there are still significant difference in quality in some product lines, products from many nations have become quite competitive globally -- and the managers of those who haven't often aspire to. Warn seems to have taken this to heart, but the cost factor is also at play in such manufacturing decisions. Will quality be sacrificed to lower costs or will the same or better quality product be the result? This has less to do with where such decisions are made than it does with how and why. Is the goal a superior product or simply to cut costs regardless of the resulting quality? The end user will find out soon enough, as your thread suggests.
While I can appreciate the educated nature of your comments, I would rather receive products that were, at a minimum, produced in a country that is a sworn ally.

This, I know, is a pipe dream because profits are the bottom line and the bean counters run this show.

my hickey sidewinder is 100% made in 1980 usa

The Hickey's are cool. Very good winch for its day. Royal PITA if you ever got your cable tangled/pinched on the spool but otherwise a good winch.

I'm surprised we don't see more of them around still. Great winch for installation behind a rear bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom