Where to look for rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The guy says it has no rust. Vehicle is on Vancouver Island...aparently spent some time in Calgary.

I hear there are certain spots to check for hidden rust....factory roof rack, behind rear door panel and wherever the body is attached to the frame????

Can anyone confirm and add to the list of known problem spots...especially spots that might not be found without some knowledge

check the frame for major rust as well, a little surface rust on the frame is easily remedied. On the body you usually see it around the rear wheel well and inside the wheel well. as well some seem to the cancer on the sill around the roof, mine got a bit on the drivers door above the hinges, i can see it when i open the door but idont know if others have this problem.
Oh yeah, also the rear gate around the keyhole, and the lower gate under the chrome near the liscence plate, and the lower inside portion of the bottom gate.

The deal killer rust is found on the inner sides of the rear frame. Crawl under the truck to where the rear shocks mount, follow that crossmember to the frame and start poking and see what you find. Many '60 series trucks have rust perforation in this area which can severely weaken the frame. You will likely not see any rust on the front of the frame even if the rear is swiss cheese!

I had the rear shock crossmember rust out of my truck. I have subsequently swapped the frame with a rust free one. A friend of mine has had to park his truck because the rear spring hanger rusted off.

Another hidden spot is in the cargo area around the rear wheel wells on the floor.

Mine has bad frame rot around the front spring mounts of the rear leaf springs and on the inside of the back C channel part of the frame. I am also about to start swapping parts onto a rust free frame.

Check the A pillars on the body. This is the area where the top corners of the windshield meet the body. Open the doors and check the area in question as well.

The bottom of the tail gate.

After that it is the the top of the rear wheel wells, etc.

Check the A pillars on the body. This is the area where the top corners of the windshield meet the body. Open the doors and check the area in question as well.

The bottom of the tail gate.

After that it is the the top of the rear wheel wells, etc.

You really do not want this.

The bottom picture is the bottom door hinge on the drivers side. If you look a the top pic you will see the little rust hole on the A pillar on the driverside.
PICT0079.JPG
PICT0080.JPG
DSCF1217.jpg

Last edited:
lift the rear bench seat, pull up the carpet and look at the floor where it meets the front of the wheel well. Also check this area from the under side. Its at the forward most portion of the rear wheel wells near the body mounts.

Here's a picture of the the common rust areas, and what the others have said...

*Windshield frame (up top)
*below tail lights

In this picture, red is rust prone, purple is the the most rust prone areas.
attachment.php.jpg

Wow, that is bad! Thats the A-pillar right? Is that from a 60?? Is that a comon place for 60's to get rust?

Yes, it is bad. I have seen worse on peoples daily drivers.

It is from a 1984 FJ 60 that lived it's life in northern california near the coast.

It is common for them to rust in this area. Open the door and look for rust in this area. They rust from the inside out. If you see any rust on the seam it has eaten it's way out from the inside.

You really do not want this.

The bottom picture is the bottom door hinge on the drivers side. If you look a the top pic you will see the little rust hole on the A pillar on the driverside.
View attachment 163089View attachment 163090View attachment 165376
Hey mate. I have some rust spots exactly like the the pic you have posted. I want to fix this and need your advise. I have seen some pics on google where they have cut out and welded in fresh metal. If you have done a repair can you please tell me how to go about it. where are the spot welds located and how deep to cut it when looking from the outside close to the front windscreen rubber or off it?

Nope that is pretty universal I think... Only way you could avoid that is if the vehicle was in a dry environment its entire existence and never saw wet road, rain, snow, etc. EVER!.

Nope that is pretty universal I think... Only way you could avoid that is if the vehicle was in a dry environment its entire existence and never saw wet road, rain, snow, etc. EVER!.

True, allthough in countrys like Australia, it's the roof that's been influenced by the continues sun. Roof gutters are the weak spot over there, even though it complies with all your other demands... ;)

x2 on everywhere:frown:

True, allthough in countrys like Australia, it's the roof that's been influenced by the continues sun. Roof gutters are the weak spot over there, even though it complies with all your other demands... ;)
LOL I think that is more about salt in the air as I have never heard of continuous sunlight causing the oxidization and rust of metals?!

Calgary then Vancouver Island.
There is no way it does not have rust unless it has low low mileage. Or has been repaired

I am from Vancouver and I have never seen any Canadian 4x/6x without rust.

Another place is look for separation around the rear shackle mounts.

My FJ60 was rusted in the floor boards (drivers under the gas pedal area) most corners in the main body. Around the rear hatch close to the lock.
And the wheel wells.

Mine also had the upper shock absorber cross member replaced.

Get tons of pictures and if you cannot see it find someone who can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom