When to switch OverDrive (OD) on automatic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my automatic Landcruiser and other automatic transmission cars, I usually drive with OD on (meaning OD OFF light not showing). Reason is that I do not encounter extremely steep hills. The car simply moves effortlessly up and down hills.

I do the above based on my understanding of overdrive as I read from car manuals and other resources.

My question is: is it advisable to keep pressing the OD button (or should I just leave the OD on) whenever I am driving under normal circumstances?

Note: the question looks trivial, but I have had debates about this subject.

I’d leave it on under normal conditions. I’ve only turned it off on hill climbs when pulling a trailer to keep it from working too hard and constantly shifting.

If I just leave the OD on (just use the default setting), and manually shift to the 4th gear (on a 5-speed auto) when climbing up hills or merging to highway, would that work equally well?

If I just leave the OD on (just use the default setting), and manually shift to the 4th gear (on a 5-speed auto) when climbing up hills or merging to highway, would that work equally well?
As I once heard in Korea, "Chicken, beef - same, same." If you missed the humor, you're doing the same thing, just a different way.

In Germany the OD is also referred to as "gas saving gear" = doesn't really give you any further power at higher speeds :)
It's just to reduce rpm when at stable speeds and you don't need higher torque to accelerate/ maintain speed. Turning OD off or just hit the paddle when overtaking is essentially the same. When you have the cruise control and OD on while going up a steep hill, the transmission essentially does the same: shifts down.

Some have OD OFF, at all times. Keeping RPM higher, to keep in higher torque range. Mostly in the 98-02.

I use OD OFF 98-02, 4th 03-07. As first downshift point, for engine breaking and hill climbing.

In Colorado, as in all places hilly with descending roads. We use transmission to control down hill speed. Brakes are for stopping. We've runaways ramps for those, that think brakes are to control down hill speed.

In Colorado, as in all places hilly with descending roads. We use transmission to control down hill speed. Brakes are for stopping. We've runaways ramps for those, that think brakes are to control down hill speed.

One can learn that REAL rapidly while coming down Wolf Creek Pass.

I’ve been told that OD Off reduces transmission temperature by locking up the torque converter sooner. Is there any sense in using the OD Off function to manage transmission temperatures on long highway drives?

I’ve been told that OD Off reduces transmission temperature by locking up the torque converter sooner. Is there any sense in using the OD Off function to manage transmission temperatures on long highway drives?

On hills or high load yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom