Automatic transmission fluid capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My car manual does not specify total capacity of AT transmission fluid.

I want to know how many liters of oil to use when gearbox is completely empty. The manusl only indicates that about 6 liters are required for service.

I appreciate your response.

There are 12 quarts total in the transmission, torque converter and cooler. If you just drain and fill you';; only get 4 quarts.

There are 12 quarts total in the transmission, torque converter and cooler. If you just drain and fill you';; only get 4 quarts.
Thank you. 12 quarts is just about 11.4 liters.

When we added 11.4 liters, the dipstick level was too low, so we added another 1 liter. Now it is 12.5 liters in there.

Is there any harm for us to add 12.5 liters?

Make sure you are checking it hot and while running. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but others will chime in.

Make sure you are checking it hot and while running. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but others will chime in.
Yes, we check while running, but because we had just started the car, the oil was still cold (our ambient temperatures are 30 deg Celsius).

Mechanic insisted to first check when cold (which I think is okay because the dipstick also has cold range). However, since we were not exactly on level ground (which mechanic says does not matter), the dipstick reading was Low. So he added the 1 liter.

Right now on level ground, when oil is hot, dipstick reading is okay at max of hot range on dipstick.

However, gears are not changing well, which hopefully will normalize (according to mechanic).

Couple of options here. You could start by draining the pan, apprx 4qts, then adding back slowly and checking until in normal range. Do a fluid exchange (plenty of tutorials on that around) and then you have a fresh fluid. I think option two will yield the best results and faster.

Since you have the diesel engine, there's a good chance you have the A442F transmission. It'll say on your data plate in the engine compartment. If so, capacity is 15 liters (15.9 qts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom