Wheels that work, part numbers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's great! Maybe the 17 gave them more clearance.

Didnt realize you went with 16's. That was my backup plan, i thought for sure those were going to work without issue.

I paired mine with 285/70/17 Nitto's Terra Grappler - after i inspect again, test drive etc. I will post a pic of my new setup

The 17 inch trackers are rubbing on the passenger side. A few left turns quickly shaved a piece of the wheel off. The shop I used gave it to their best guy to fit and he missed this. Unless there is some other customization we come up with, I don't think this is feasible without spacers. In which case I will send them back using the guaranteed to fit or full refund clause. Not sure how people "grinded" the TRE to make wheels fit, in this case they fit until you make a left turn!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch!!! Some might not have that close of a touch like yourself, do you know what backspacing/offset the wheels have? Stock is 3.675" on the 15" rims, which are 15x6 if I remember correctly. So if you have 8" wide wheels but less that 3.5" backspacing that may be part of the problem.

Here is a better pic from directly below. You will see the culprit only exists on the passenger side ... I thought the inner component was the TRE that would be the problem, but when you crank the wheel, it is the outer piece that rubs. I knew this was a risk so not a huge surprise of course.

image.jpg

The 17 inch trackers are rubbing on the passenger side. A few left turns quickly shaved a piece of the wheel off. The shop I used gave it to their best guy to fit and he missed this. Unless there is some other customization we come up with, I don't think this is feasible without spacers. In which case I will send them back using the guaranteed to fit or full refund clause. Not sure how people "grinded" the TRE to make wheels fit, in this case they fit until you make a left turn!

View attachment 1215356

View attachment 1215357

Just be like UPS and only make right turns!

Appreciate the update. Hopefully they wont give you a hard time if you decide to return them.

If you switch to 16" please update again if you have the time. Thanks.

yea hopefully. if they honor the return, i will attempt the 16's shortly. The inside of the wheels were scratched already when they arrived anyways. I am now also wondering if your 60's have a different design for this arm that is rubbing (EDIT: because i have a 62...). the ends fit inside the wheels no problem, it is the part that connects an inch or two further on the passenger side that kills it.

yea hopefully. if they honor the return, i will attempt the 16's shortly. The inside of the wheels were scratched already when they arrived anyways. I am now also wondering if your 60's have a different design for this arm that is rubbing (EDIT: because i have a 62...). the ends fit inside the wheels no problem, it is the part that connects an inch or two further on the passenger side that kills it.

In the bean build that dahlmaker cited earlier he started with 16 that had 3.7 inches of BS. When he switches to 17 he doesnt specifically mention backspacing or spacers but I read his thread to understand that they just fit on his. His truck has had a lot of mods though so maybe something is different?

I'm specifically interested in 16's as I'm cheap and toying with stealing the rubber off of one of my other vehicles for the 60 and it is on a 16" rim.

Are these the exact ones that theron used? backspacing wise? I was looking at getting these but dont want to grind on anything. Just wondering why you would have an issue but not someone else? I will be honest the whole wheel/backspacing/tire thing makes my head hurt trying to figure it out!

Don't forget that Theron switched to a 80 rear and I'm pretty sure something custom up front.

Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure

ref post #204

Don't forget that Theron switched to a 80 rear and I'm pretty sure something custom up front.

Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure

ref post #204

I got my 16s based on Therons thread. They look awesome but it's apparent that the 17s and 16s don't fit. Your 17s rub on a different area than my 16s did. I was able to grind down the end of a tie rod about 1/8-1/4 inch to get the wheels to fit. Not ideal. If I didn't catch that Theron had a different front end installed then that may explain why his 16s went on without issue (unless he had an issue but didn't mention it). I love the Trackers and the KO2s. My other alternative were the Black steel wheels from 4 Wheel Parts.

Good luck!!!

We have an 89 FJ62 in the shop that we are prepping for sale (cleanest 62 I've seen in a long time) and it had some decent looking 16" Eagle's with some Destination 33's...but had spacers and quite frankly made the truck pretty unresponsive on the highway...just too tall a tire with stock gears (yes, that's my opinion).

We went with some tried and true Level8 15x8 in black along with some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3 in 31-10.50x15 which I like a lot. Got it's pep back, looks damn good and rides very nice. Suspension is OME 2.5".

Thought I'd add this to the list...

IMG_20160317_181054.jpg

IMG_20160317_181103.jpg

IMG_20160317_181122.jpg

Has anyone tried any of these three? would these work?

I've found three stock-alternatives that seem to have all the specs I'm looking for.
The stock fj62 wheels were:
15x6,
6x5.5 spacing,
with a 3.5 or 3.75 inch backspacing. (I see conflicting numbers everywhere here on this actual number)

Heres the first:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-75-5760

The second:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3155760

The third:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-37-5760

All three have a center bore slightly larger and all three have the same specs (though a slightly wider tire of 15x7 instead of 15x6) that would seemingly match the stock size with out any need for spacers or grinding on the calipers or rods.
What do you guys think? Anyone have either of these three on their rig? Did they work without mods?

Thanks guys!
-Todd

Any particular reason you are going with 15's @ToddH? Say the same shpeel that my friends that own a truck accessories shop told me.... If you are buying new rims buy what is standard for todays vehicles. GOOD 15" tires are starting to get really hard to find, and that does not count good ALL TERRAIN tires. Your best bet to ensure that you have good tire selection is to move to either 16" or 17" rims and go for a sizing that is similar to what you are looking for in the 15". Down the road this will save you time and money as you are less likely to run into fitment issues, lots of shops will not mount bigger tires on old stock rims if they are not of the MFG suggested width, and you will ensure you have more availability in rural areas should something happen.

For my '86 FJ60 with OME suspension I decided to go with the Toyota 16X6 steel rims (42601-60262-03) with BFG 235/85R16 T/A KO2s for the following reason:

Any particular reason you are going with 15's @ToddH? Say the same shpeel that my friends that own a truck accessories shop told me.... If you are buying new rims buy what is standard for todays vehicles. GOOD 15" tires are starting to get really hard to find, and that does not count good ALL TERRAIN tires. Your best bet to ensure that you have good tire selection is to move to either 16" or 17" rims and go for a sizing that is similar to what you are looking for in the 15". Down the road this will save you time and money as you are less likely to run into fitment issues, lots of shops will not mount bigger tires on old stock rims if they are not of the MFG suggested width, and you will ensure you have more availability in rural areas should something happen.

The wheels are pricey, but I really like the looks.

Well, I was just gifted a brand new set of 31/10.5/15 tires for Christmas from my father in law, haha, so I have to use them.
I'm not opposed to going up to 16" or 17" wheels, but for the next 60,000 miles, I have 15s. I just can't imagine going another 60,000 miles on the current bent and, I think, cracked wheels I have.

For my '86 FJ60 with OME suspension I decided to go with the Toyota 16X6 steel rims (42601-60262-03) with BFG 235/85R16 T/A KO2s for the following reason:

The wheels are pricey, but I really like the looks.

Whats the back space? Do they take the old school hub caps?

I don't know the backspacing off-hand, but they fit just right. They're originally installed on 70-Series Land Cruisers sold in non-US markets. They're very similar in appearance to the FJ60/FJ62 chrome spoke wheels, but they're powder coated at the factory.

I don't know the backspacing off-hand, but they fit just right. They're originally installed on 70-Series Land Cruisers sold in non-US markets. They're very similar in appearance to the FJ60/FJ62 chrome spoke wheels, but they're powder coated at the factory.
the link showed a wheel with tabs and not spokes so i got all hot and bothered. its spoked.

Those look great. Too bad they are now discontinued from Toyota.

:(

Thank you Onur, I was surprised to find the original size (235-75-15) with the new KO2s:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom