Wheeling necessities in NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
So I have only been on HC since I have gotten my LC. I plan on doing Richland and whatever else you guys say I should do....'Hey man, watch this'.

So I was wondering...what does everyone consider their top necessities when hitting the dirt?

Air compressor? Which one? Tire deflator? What tools? Etc.

Enlighten me, please. Of course I googled but since I will be hitting the same places that everyone here has hit many times I thought their would be better, personal insight.

Good ?,

I usually always carry my set of Maxtrax and my CO2 tank, shovel, hatchet and peraonal saw but I've been slacking recently and haven't planned well. Mostly due to the last few times I was out and about I was in my Tacoma and it's quite new compared to the LC.

Looking forward to some good info.

I learned from a ton of folks, made a ton of mistakes. If i were to do over again (my opinion), and assuming im stock

1) Recovery equipment, straps, shackles, stuff like that. Add to it when you add things, when you get a winch - add a snatch block. etc etc i would add a 2.5 fire extinguisher as well. Include a tire repair kit and know how to use it
2) tools - at least a basic set, then tailor to your vehicle. screw drivers, vice grips, added over time as you find out what breaks
3) Medical - basic is fine for weekends, bigger if its a longer time
4) Communication, hand helds or CB.
5) portable air compressor - always helpful if you dont have onboard air (could be considered recovery)

Those are the bare minimum things that i take every time i go out. Ive added to each of these categories over the years. Food and clothing aside that is.

For trucks i have gone
tires
lift
armor
winch

I would also say learning from pros, the uwharrie offroad class is part of the tools section. I have seen stock trucks with decent tires do some s*** that i never thought possible. Its the driver

When I go I just make sure I bring one of @Izzyandsue. He's got one of everything and can contact one of everyone with the coms in his truck.

When it comes to comms, what's the majority good with?

CB or HAM 2-meter?

I'm hoping to get my HAM cert in Feb but am very curious.

CB, or childrens band, works fine as long as you have line of sight on your target. HAM can work beyond as it can have more power and many more frequencies. Bang for buck HAM is best alternative.

10-4

I'm learning now!

Turns out even though I have Amazon Prime, I had never used the "Audible" app associated with it. SO my first free download was an audio book "Fast Track to your Technician Class"

Thanks gang!

I might look into the class in March at Uwharrie, we might need to make a group trip from Asheville for some of us newbies amateurs!

Look in the HAM thread too, there are a couple of aps recommended that will take you through the exam questions, randomized, and give you a score. A few hours of playing with that ap while watching tv and you can pass easily.

Usually a bro driving a Jeep or a dude in a rover, so you can give them a hard time all day long. ;<)

I learned from a ton of folks, made a ton of mistakes. If i were to do over again (my opinion), and assuming im stock

1) Recovery equipment, straps, shackles, stuff like that. Add to it when you add things, when you get a winch - add a snatch block. etc etc i would add a 2.5 fire extinguisher as well. Include a tire repair kit and know how to use it
2) tools - at least a basic set, then tailor to your vehicle. screw drivers, vice grips, added over time as you find out what breaks
4) Communication, hand helds or CB.
5) portable air compressor - always helpful if you dont have onboard air (could be considered recovery)

Those are the bare minimum things that i take every time i go out. Ive added to each of these categories over the years. Food and clothing aside that is.

For trucks i have gone
tires
lift
armor
winch

I would also say learning from pros, the uwharrie offroad class is part of the tools section. I have seen stock trucks with decent tires do some s*** that i never thought possible. Its the driver

1 - start with at least a snatch strap and some shackles. Had to get rescued once on the way to work in IL when I stopped to help someone else and got in a pickle. Usually plenty of folks willing to help but they don't have gear.

2 - I bought a harbor freight kit for 150 on sale and it has served me well. I've used it as much for stuff around the house as the truck. Better than shuttling stuff back and forth to your house tools. Always ready to go.

3 - +1 especially if you bring kids. I have one if the adventure medical trauma kits with the clotting sponge also.

4 - what they said, lol

5 - I'm always value shopping and landed on Viair 88p. If I did it again I would get the biggerest one they make that is 100% duty cycle. Someone will always air down and not have their own compressor, then you are airing up multiple trucks. It gets super hot since I am wantonly exceeding the duty cycle. Matter of time before it breaks or burns my truck down. I have a metal box I put it in to cool down.

I also keep a few cheap moving blankets. Use them all of the time for various things.

Oh, and wet wipes and paper towels lol.

@sleepycruiser and other WNC folks:

You all should plan on coming to the ONSC Meet & Greet March 10-12 at the barn near Uwharrie. We'll have a post up about it soon. It's a great chance to talk to and see what everybody else is doing in regards to gear. Come for a few hours or 3 days.

@sleepycruiser and other WNC folks:

You all should plan on coming to the ONSC Meet & Greet March 10-12 at the barn near Uwharrie. We'll have a post up about it soon. It's a great chance to talk to and see what everybody else is doing in regards to gear. Come for a few hours or 3 days.

Its on my calendar to attend

66093544.jpg

4) Communication, HAM.

Excellent list and I agree, this is a good minimum. I would add fluids to this list as well as a way to put the fluids in (fluid pump, funnel, etc.)

My onboard tool collection has grown to the following. Can't tell you how many times I've lent a tool on the trail (or used them myself) lol.

5aYulL2tus1VRAcHoF7qeVrqxQzhFftyHNnETLsOmnvt4nplBxzDnUUvoOEjXI9PUOMA93sbD4W0o-gcbQDW9Q_BLqzLOU-99-5ojJGhz-KTA3W1Ae2BDz7lHcc7x-Ahg6KBQKwtYcKRJh9VjcdndEEAt6dUF5x6sVa0rVrwwss6RWOLe7j0rAMfw7C7vnPxNg1UHVPQWV7bMKfsdfY2K3c8YvqiXs33P1O31q0Zrz0aF7GasKH6m3w5hErxJXo0yMcNqnjtyEXyFcGZ1XuA9av4sdQApBsRzSYOcNyulayATTKii9jqhOXNty938Q-qQACqXTSeABPR14jg7ymr75xcsZj6JOcOAKBAkv6b1eTuFrbhrJRyrY3Qf9rAzCQXhYs_0LaB7v3gyxCxCqE6wwPIhrZQ6K_Xb_AoJc5-T7wKcryJkp_wz_vLRggrYzEKVJB2aX_KehAa60D95e-w7LVgPsEyvchLlpzffX-Ue0qk5uNOkHdkzY7ptfhqszRELaqMgcnlPPNh73WVZinXjMozMTlNwRF9gELUnOqNJel_Cx0f_yFJoL5HESPfn2OaPjU8r_zVhTakh988DTXNybWrUfzLOG-ezNDdlfbObyu83jBKOcbsIw=w2670-h2003-no

Ill wade into the water in regards to hilift. Great tool when used properly. Most people i know say its a requirement from day 1. Again this is my opinion, im sure will differ from others.

On a stock truck with stock bumpers i find them less than useful, sure you can use it as a come along, but a hand operated winch is so much more useful if you are saving up for the real thing. There is just no where to attach hilifts to a stock truck. Our checklist has them as mandatory, which is fine, but in reality its a waste unless you have sliders and rear + front steel bumpers. Now what to do when you have a lift and the stock jack doesnt reach? I have an off road bottle jack with wide base that meets my needs. I still have the plastic on my hilift from 4 years ago.

They have their merits for sure, im just not sure from a stock truck they will find any use. I would it after you get somewhere to attach them to however. I do find my bottle jack to be more used.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom