Whats the life expectancy of the 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the responses, fellas. Good to hear that they'll keep on kicking without following Toyota's recommended rebuild intervals.

I just bought a hideous '94 $hitbox with 351k miles on her for $1,700. Despite the CEL being on, the paint being gone from 90% of the body, and the transmission cooler lines leaking like hell, the ol' 1FZ-FE purrs like a kitten.

Hmmm, old thread that I shall chime in on. At 292,000 had the head off for a look at, and leaky valve stem seals. Now at 357,000. At least once a year we head west for a 10,000 mile round trip. This summer headed to Arctic Ocean, then back down & over to Alaska. All told a two month trip and about 16,000 mile round trip. I think it’ll be fine. How bout you’all?

"We'll find out when the first one dies" (old Toyota commercial)

340k on mine now. Head gasket said smell ya later around 316k I think. Cylinders looked good and minimal crud on the pistons. Replaced the valve stem seals and had the head cleaned up with the minimal they could take off. It's been on muliple cruiser events and some extended trips. Other stuff dies before this thing LOL.

512k on mine, HG failed externally at 502k I think. New gasket, valves lapped, stem seals. Just took it on fun trip to Moab. Would drive it to Cabo tomorrow.
Post a photo of the odometer when you have the time. Thanks

Post a photo of the odometer when you have the time. Thanks
I don’t have a super recent shot. Here’s a grab from the od rolling 500 a while back right before the HG let go.
2A4E5D6A-780B-4C5D-94BA-6437E9A47425.jpeg

I don’t have a super recent shot. Here’s a grab from the od rolling 500 a while back right before the HG let go.View attachment 3284663
Kind of a fun story. It let go a week before cruise Moab 2022 I yanked it on April 16th, Resealed it, lapped valves etc and stabbed it on the 22nd (photo), drove it to Cruise Moab 2 days later haha. Bottom end is still jammin. I had to take a couple shims to the surface grinder in the 24th hour haha.

5FE861D5-0F5C-4A2F-B770-4B1D6C4703B2.jpeg

F89C7860-DBA1-48CC-93E8-49A5B6CC6320.jpeg

F406D1E0-7121-47CE-A702-10D65FD320AB.jpeg

IIRC, design life was 300k km (186k mi) x 3 rebuilds=900k km (559k mi) If you do a search on design life and cruiserdan, you will probably find the stat.

EDIT: changed to reflect KM, not MI (thank you beno).
3 rebuilds + 300k before the first = 1.2M km. Is it 3 rebuilds, or two rebuilds? Anyone?

3 rebuilds + 300k before the first = 1.2M km. Is it 3 rebuilds, or two rebuilds? Anyone?
That data is useless. Too many variables.
My case in point: Tore mine apart @ 372k miles. Was running fine. I put in new everything, but didn't need to bore it out. So, that means I have at least 2 rebuilds to go.
By that time...
A) I'll be too old to drive, and/or
B) AI will have taken over the planet and made humans into servants for the machines

That data is useless. Too many variables.
My case in point: Tore mine apart @ 372k miles. Was running fine. I put in new everything, but didn't need to bore it out. So, that means I have at least 2 rebuilds to go.
By that time...
A) I'll be too old to drive, and/or
B) AI will have taken over the planet and made humans into servants for the machines
Just pointing out a math problem. The question (the answer to which remains useful) is this...
Is it 3 rebuilds, or two rebuilds?

Just pointing out a math problem. The question (the answer to which remains useful) is this...
it depends, on what you count as a rebuild. Is it a rebuild if you bore the cylinders? Do you bore the cylinders even if they don't need it? Toyota makes 2 oversize pistons. So, if each "rebuild" has to use the next oversize pistons then that's 2 rebuilds. But what if a complete tear down doesn't require a re-bore? Does that count as a rebuild? I count mine as a rebuild even though I didn't bore it out. Let's say next time I'm at say 650k miles and I do need a re-bore. Then I'm on first over pistons. Then let's say I get to a million miles but I don't need a re-bore...

Too many variables!

Besides that, gasoline engines will be outlawed and driving one will be like the RUSH song Red Barchetta. Electric Alloy Air Cars will be chasing our Land Cruisers until we get to the one lane bridge. If we're lucky we can make it back to the farm and meet with our uncle, by the (illegal) fireside.

Besides that, gasoline engines will be outlawed and driving one will be like the RUSH song Red Barchetta. Electric Alloy Air Cars will be chasing our Land Cruisers until we get to the one lane bridge. If we're lucky we can make it back to the farm and meet with our uncle, by the (illegal) fireside.

Awesome.

I am of the opinion it is three rebuilds. Toyota sells the parts for standard stock and then yes two upsizes. If all it needs is a light hone and then replace the rings, I still call that a rebuild.

Cheers

Will there still be Cold Beer? Please say yes........ :beer:

Dos Equis.jpg

it depends, on what you count as a rebuild. Is it a rebuild if you bore the cylinders? Do you bore the cylinders even if they don't need it? Toyota makes 2 oversize pistons. So, if each "rebuild" has to use the next oversize pistons then that's 2 rebuilds. But what if a complete tear down doesn't require a re-bore? Does that count as a rebuild? I count mine as a rebuild even though I didn't bore it out. Let's say next time I'm at say 650k miles and I do need a re-bore. Then I'm on first over pistons. Then let's say I get to a million miles but I don't need a re-bore...

Too many variables!

To me: Rebuild means boring out the cylinders; anything less is a refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom