What's On The Grill Tonight? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bison filet

J

IMG_20171230_150821821.jpg

I gave my grill a break today, but I did have the fireplace on. So you can say I did cook with fire :)
Tried out a new recipe today.

Butt photos from Saturday's smoke

Before
full

During
full

After (but before devouring)
full

Not for tonight but I have 10 pounds of brisket I’m going to cROn for the upcoming few weeks.

Spanish/Argentinian-style steak.

We went for an Argentinian-style steak meal. Grass fed skirt steak. Kosher salt/corn starch rub, with a quick trip to the freezer. Then reverse seared with mesquite smoke. Topped with a chimichurri sauce. My wife added home made sour dough bread, pasture raised butter, and great northern beans cooked in a made from scratch stock. And we opened a 2010 Tempernillo Reserva.

Now go through the process with me:

25773440347_df3bb95784_c.jpg

26772584478_7331d6426e_c.jpg

25773484117_5bda1e2195_c.jpg

38834106290_654d06968e_c.jpg

25773509897_932432576b_c.jpg

^ I want that right now!

"...that actually tasted like chicken"! I have quit eating chicken because of the total lack of flavor of anything available in the commercial markets; Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. It doesn't matter if its organic, etc., they're all "fryers" and go from hatch to market in about 8-weeks. Flavor can't develop in 8-weeks especially when they're de-beaked, fed a "vegetarian diet" (what a effing joke)...

That's the next step. We saw a lot of road signs for local, pasture, blah blah raised meat in Santa Ynez this weekend. We're probably going to start picking up proteins when we go to pickup our wines. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at CA public land deer hunting (shipping from AL is too expensive).

"...that actually tasted like chicken"! I have quit eating chicken because of the total lack of flavor of anything available in the commercial markets; Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. It doesn't matter if its organic, etc., they're all "fryers" and go from hatch to market in about 8-weeks. Flavor can't develop in 8-weeks especially when they're de-beaked, fed a "vegetarian diet" (what a effing joke)...

The heirloom aspect seems to help. We're trying to switch to heirloom/grassfed/pasture raised meats for flavor and ethical reasons. But the real goal is to starting buying or harvesting our proteins direct from the source. We saw a lot of road signs for local, pasture, blah blah raised meat in Santa Ynez this weekend. We're probably going to start picking up proteins when we go to pickup our wines. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at CA public land deer hunting (shipping from AL is too expensive). Just need to find room for a deep freezer.

^ Just had a super tasty mixed grill of California Big Horn, Mule deer tenderloins, Nevada Pronghorn tenderloins & mountain lion backstraps. First time for me on the ML; you could not tell it from pork loin. Nothing better IMO than wild game. Start putting in for tags Adam!

Just single handedly turning this thread into my person grilling thread. It's spring. Get your grills out!

My wife's been out of town. So I've been doing some pizza experimenting.

I tried trader joes dough, and Serious Eats NY pizza sauce. But I thought it tasted too much like marinara.

So last night I experimented with my own sauce recipe based off Marcella Hazan's pasta sauce. I also made my own 24hr cold fermented NY, coal-fired-style pizza dough. This dough was a revelation. I could finally stretch the dough into a decent sized pizza shape. I grated some mozzarella and tried my best to dry it. 5mins in the kamado on a baking steel at 600F. The bottom cooked a little too quickly. Next time, I'll move the ceramic stones to the felt line so the steel doesn't get too much hotter than the ambient temp.

27407029468_db18ca0df2_c.jpg

41218785802_5e3e1778fd_c.jpg

40366542805_1940f355fe_c.jpg

41218784112_337c49d98f_b.jpg

Last edited:
^ It would be interesting to try another steel or stone positioned no more than 6" above the baking steel. Methinks, if it was thoroughly heat soaked, it would radiate heat back to the top side of the pie more effectively than the dome.

Since I'm BBQ-less right now I've been surprised by the very good results I have gotten with Neapolitan dough in the kitchen's electric oven (550º) using 3/8" Baking Steel. Yes, the lack of being kissed by wood heat is noticeable, but not a deal breaker either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom