What's On The Grill Tonight? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fresh swordfish from Maine arrived yesterday.

Decided on Swordfish Oscar.

J

IMAG2685.jpg

IMG_20170428_144334886.jpg
IMG_20170428_145203225_HDR.jpg

I've been getting local 100% grass fed steaks and like just about every grass fed NY Strip I've had, with the exception of grain finished, they have great flavor but ... you better have good teeth and conditioned jaw muscles :D. A fairly comprehensive search about a longer sous vide session led me nowhere for all things steak cuts. Everyone recommends 2-hours max for sous vide-ing steak cuts.

Recently I tried beef short ribs at 135F and 72-hours and they were just unbelievable in flavor and texture. So I decided to try a 6-hour sous vide on one of the steaks at 125F before sear off. Damn if it didn't work out great! Had the typical robust grass fed "beefy" flavor, without the tough chew yet still retained good texture. Just for grins I think I'm going to try extended the SV time to 8 or 10-hours and see what happens.

A couple of pork shoulders...
IMG_3687.JPG

Drove the 40 to the carnisaria for some salsa Verde action.
14947823717201840841871.jpg

Last edited:
@reevesci It looks like you have one grill that you use with a griddle on 2 racks, plus a different grill (from Target IIRC) with the funky grate. Wanna elaborate on the griddle thingy setup? Scrap steel?

J,

I have three grills (2 gas - 1 charcoal), one custom built smoker/grill combo and one 10" bumper BBQ for camping and trails...

I mainly use the STOK grill and it is fun and is by far one of the best grills I've ever used, Plus when I was on assignment in Texas I got it for 75% off. The STOK's removable round grills accept stones for pizza, breads, cobblers and calzones.

My griddle is a piece of 5/16" plate that I stripped down and then canola oil and salt seasoned in burning pine cones. One side is smooth and the other I tack welded 3/16" TIG rods to so its more of a "GRILLDLE" and works exceptionally well for grilled panini sandwiches.

The griddle is really nice because it keeps a constant temp across the entire surface even when the wind is blowing 30+ mph here.

In the summer I grill 4-5x a week.

J

Was experimenting with using corn starch, the freezer, and a hot baking steel to sear these cheap Tritip sirloins. Then finished in a cast iron with Served on bed of greens dressed with goat cheese, oil and balsamic vinegar.

/QUOTE]

After reading about this method from Cooks Illustrated I tried it many times to great success. But I've found with true 100% grass fed steaks it leaves them too tough (all things non-tenderloin cuts anyway). But the cornstarch & 30-minute freezer session really helps develop a nice crust and flavor.

I tried to use the kamado grill for something other than BBQ this weekend. Picked a few recipes from the book "Hot Coals." It's a good resource for how to use kamados for cuisine other than BBQ.

Successfully cooked everything on the grill. It also made for a great leftover salad on Sunday with some roasted walnuts and goat cheese.
Craft beer marinated flank steak.
Grilled romaine, Belgian endives with smoked mozzarella, pine nuts and a homemade balsamic dressing.
Baked potatoes and beats with cream-cheese based spread.

34566190584_377157b6ab_c.jpg

34566251394_bb266ba1f4_c.jpg

35242068862_727919e969_c.jpg

Looks great.Romaine is a very underated grilled item...olive oil,salt and crushed black pepper is how we like it.

On Monday, I grilled some pork belly and pork belly burnt ends. The burnt ends turned out well. Used my rib rub, then smoked them on wire cooling racks in the grill, then transfered them to a cast iron pan with butter and brown sugar. Also grilled some beets and romaine.

On Tuesday, I grilled up some beets and sausages. Found a recipe on WWOO outdoor kitchen's blog for a beet and burrata salad. We just happened to have everything for it. Also smoked some beer brats and used the new searing grate to give them some character.

Roasted beets, orange slices, roasted almonds, basil, greens, red onion, burrata and an orange, mustard, olive oil vinaigrette.

35742769105_36403df54c_c.jpg

35354992500_978299bb6d_c.jpg

This little smoker came with a bag of alder chips. I want To try smoking salmon with it, next time. This time was chicken.
View attachment 1464969 View attachment 1464970

It'll do just fine. I recommend a dry brine for salmon/steelhead of 3.5 parts brown sugar to 1 part sea salt. Pack the fillets in the dry brine for 12-15 hours, allow extra room for juices. Rinse fillets off under running water, pat dry with paper towels, and allow to air dry until tacky (roughly an hour). Smoke with apple, cherry, or alder for 3-5 hours at around 170. When the fillets flake easily, they're done. YUMMY!!!

Do extra fillets and vacuum seal them! Stay away from the mesquite/hickory for fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom