1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's On The Grill Tonight?

Discussion in 'Campfire Cuisine' started by Trollhole, Apr 20, 2012.

1. JohnVee

JohnVee SILVER Star

@KlausVanWinkle That's commitment. Alone at 10pm I'd probably just eat a stick of butter and a bottle of brown liquor. But I have been known to wake up early and grill for breakfast what should have been my dinner.

beno likes this.
  2. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Haha. My wife has been travelling to Dallas multiple times a week for work. So I've been fending for myself, while also fending for my job. My main client at work is leaving. So I've been working longer hours to try to get onto other accounts. And I know I'm not going to get any more work done once I eat dinner ;) Actually got some work done last night while waiting for the grill to heat up to make round two of this meal.

Not the best plating but you get the idea. Ribeyes seared on the grate, rested, then researed in a cast iron pan with butter until 128F IT. Smashed, roasted potatoes with thyme and butter, olive oil and balsamic dressed greens with goat cheese.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@spressomon, I just got my baking steel. Have any suggestions for what to make on it first? I'm going to a dinner party tonight and wanted to use it to make something other than pizza.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. LX5708

LX5708

Media:
  4. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Sorry Adam, somehow I missed this. Smash burgers are one of my favorite non-pizza things to cook on the griddle over a hot lump fire.

Have you baked Neapolitan style pizzas on your Baking Steel yet?

5. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    I tried it on Saturday. But the steel got too hot. I'm going to run the grill more like an oven with the heat diffusers so that the air and steel are at the same temp. A little burnt but was still good. My wife wanted to make something too. So we doubled down on the carbs and she made some fresh fettuccini.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    spressomon likes this.
  6. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Had a big grilling session yesterday. Smoked 3 8lb bone in KC-style dryrubbed pork shoulders on Presidents day. Used applewood and hickory smoke for about 11hrs. Dialed up the smoke at the beginning to penetrate the meat. Then dialed it up again at the end to get a good crust and bark on the burnt ends.

I pulled one shoulder off, cubed it, added more dry rub and mixed with KC-style bbq sauce to make pork burnt ends. They were a big hit at the dinner party.

The pork pulled like butter. The grill was totally unaffected by the rain, and I was able to go on a couple hour hike with my dog while waiting.

9:00 AM
    [​IMG]

Mid-Smoke hike/splash 2:00 PM.
    [​IMG]

195F IT/7:00 PM

[​IMG]

Gatorade coolers are the perfect size for transporting while resting pork shoulder.
    [​IMG]

8:00PM Pulled
    [​IMG]

Pork Burnt Ends. I put these on a brioche bun with some apple/cabbage/vinegar slaw: Yum.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    FJ60Cam, ewillis, Dragos80 and 3 others like this.
  7. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Sorry to clog this thread. But I like yall better than the Primo grill Forum.

I decided to try a pizza to burn off the grease from this weekends triple pork shoulder smoke (see flames in first pic).

I'm finally getting a handle on stretching the dough and using this baking steel. Used ceramic deflectors plates under it this time. Helped the top and bottom cook at similar rates. Raising it higher into the dome would probably help. The crust isn't getting as browned as I'd like. But the bubbling on the crust and leoparding on the bottom is spot on at 500-550F, opposed to the gasket burning 700-800F you need to achieve that with a stone.

Since the steel stays warm so long. I threw a calzone on to see how it'd do. Similar results. Good but needs more browning on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FJ60Cam likes this.
  8. spressomon

Media:
    So you have have a reflector below your baking steel when doing pizzas? I prefer to get the dome heat soaked (actually the entire vessel + grates + baking steel/stone) and get the baking steel positioned as high/far away from the heat source as practical with nothing between the fire and the baking steel.

Or it may be more beneficial, depending upon the mass of your ceramic reflector compared to dome and heat radiation effect of both, to use the ceramic reflector positioned above your pie to allow top down browning instead of purely relying upon the dome for this job.

But at least you're on the right path now.

9. spressomon

Media:
    Smash burgers tonight ... from local grass fed ground.

IMG_1497.JPG

FJ60Cam, KlausVanWinkle and splitshot like this.
  10. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Without using the heat diffusers (3/4in thick ceramic D-plates) the baking steel was getting direct heat from the fire. So its surface temp was 680F when the grill was around 500F (dome thermometer). So the bottom burned before the top browned. The diffusers seem to keep everything, including the baking steel, at the same temperature so the bottom and top cook at similar rates. But to your point, raising the steel higher in the dome would help the top brown faster. Right now the top is barely burned when the bottom is done. But I need to order a second raised grate to fit the steel that high.

[​IMG]

spressomon likes this.
  11. spressomon

Media:
    Adam, just out of curiosity since I've never seen a Primo: In your post #727 I see the flames, presumably from lump not gas right(?), rising above your grate/stone/steel surface. The fire box must be closer to your grate than on my KK. I see why you need to use heat diffuser(s) between the firebox and grate. Even with getting the rack raised so it can take better take advantage of the radiant heat effect of the dome you will, assuming the firebox is relatively close to the heat diffuser, still need to use the heat diffuser. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

From yesterday: This was a 5-day cold ferment using Jeff Varasano's recipe and 50/50 mix of "00" Caputo and KA bread flour. Could be the best dough/crust I've ever made ... or very close (not counting when I used to have Italian strain sourdough culture ...). Dome was 600F ... perfect for the first two pies but, while I wasn't paying attention but rather eating pizza :rolleyes:, dome temp crept to 650F and the bottom baked too fast (I was too hurried to dig my IR thermometer out ... but will use it next time so I know how hot the steel is). Still edible but definitely not bullseye.

IMG_7097.JPG
    IMG_0115 3.JPG

KlausVanWinkle and FJ60Cam like this.
  12. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Yeah, the firebox in the Primos is a little shallower than in BGE and the Chinese brands. The price you pay for the oval shape and made in USA (without paying KK prices).

I wish it was a little deeper and the dome was a little taller. The plus side is that the grates either sit at the fire box level or 2in above that (at gasket height), with the raised grate 4in above either of those. What I did last time, that worked well, was using the raised grate to position the baking steel 4" above the fire box. My temp got too low (450-475 surface temp). That set up at 600F should work perfectly. For reference the main grate roughly is 25 x18.5"

You can get an idea here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spressomon likes this.
  13. KlausVanWinkle

KlausVanWinkle

Media:
    Threw some on-sale flat corned beef on the kamado grill with a rub and turned it into some delicious pastrami.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    ga89hoss, Dragos80 and spressomon like this.