What's in the 80 for Rubicon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave, this looks uncannily like mine, very close (except I don't have axles and DSs, gotta work on that).

I typically take also a few large garbage plastic bags. These can be put to good use for a great number of things....

(Haynes???)

I love it! All the stuff to fix busting something and none of the spare parts that are most likely to bust :flipoff2:

This brings up an important point. How much stuff is too much stuff?

I have spare front axles, a pre-packed hot spare birfield and drive shafts. They got left at home last time because there just wasn't room for them.

I brought the tools, hoses, belts, air compressor, relays, electrical parts, spare ECU and some grease, 4 gallons of 'emergency' water (beyond what we intended to drink), 6 quarts of oil...

The monster 5 day cooler, cabin tent, chairs, sleeping bags, clothes for 5 days, life jackets (for the kids) filled the truck to the headliner.

I'm trying to get a Milford (hard to get right now) and don't have drawers, so everything that isn't soft gets ratcheted to the floor and seat tie downs. I don't have a roof rack, can't use a 'hitch basket' because my spare is a swing out and don't have a place to park a trailer.

So... I'm thinking about building a caped tube out of PVC to put the drive shafts and axles in and then bolting/hanging that up behind the slider supports on the driver's side. That way these heavy rare use items won't be taking up internal cargo space and will be mounted relatively low. Border inspections potentially just got more interesting.

Thoughts?

This brings up an important point. How much stuff is too much stuff?
Thoughts?

I think it depends on what kind of wheeling your out to do. If your traveling high miles with large gaps between resources then i think there's no such thing as too much stuff... But on the other side of the coin.. if you are just going out on a one day trail run, you dont need to carry your whole entire garage with you.

If your traveling high miles with large gaps between resources then i think there's no such thing as too much stuff...

8/80 is the rule here.
8 hours from anywhere interesting traveling at 80 mph.

As far as resources go... The last time I needed parts for a trail repair I found a Snapper lawn mower and tractor repair shop in a town with a population countable by a 5 year old. Two 8mm 1.25 pitch nuts and lock washers and I was back on the road with my front O2 sensor back in and the passenger floor cooling back down.

So... 'resources' can have creative definitions.

What about extra lugs, lug nuts, bearings, tire plug kit, spare brake lines?

Have you upgraded your drag link and tie rod yet? If not bring spares.

Fuel pump, water pump, and starter:
My rig has 144K miles on it and I've only replaced the starter, just this year. I would carry extra pumps because mine are original, but if these things are maintained or have been replaced in a reasonable amount of time, would you expect to have problems with them on the trail? I know, ''Be prepared'', but space is premium on a trip like this. Thoughts?

My spares are the original ones that I replaced before they went bad. I've seen plenty of fuel pumps go out on the trail, albiet not 80's, but still. If either one of these items crap out then I'm stuck and all together they consume about 1 cubic foot of space and don't weigh much. I used to also carry spare U-joints, but have since installed them in my current shafts. I also have all radiator hoses and belts and various other pieces of hose. Lots of fuses and electrical connections. The list goes on. All my stuff is crammed into 2 cargo boxes under my storage deck and into little corners of the rear of the rig.

Can I just pay a cover charge and go with you in my empty rig?

Tell you what, I'll bring the grill and beer, DEAL?

Geez why don't you bring a whole friggin truck!

Do you have a personal safety device?

GatlingF.JPG

Or, does the axe cover that?

Do you have wheel studs,somebody said lug nuts also.Good idea,I have seen these break on the rubicon.
Have fun,we will be looking for photos when you get back!

where the hell is the :beer: that's all you need on the con to get you gunk fixed:flipoff2:

When are you going up there? I can be at buck Island in 4 hours from my front door if you need help,parts,beer.

Heya green,

Thanks! We'll be at Loon at 9am going to Buck, camping, then early run into the Springs Saturday. Come on out and join us! I'll have :beer:

I don't have wheel studs; good idea...I guess I know what's going the break now:grinpimp:gimme some wood to knock on...

Pics on Monday!!

The thing about the fuel pump in an 80 is that accessing it will be a PITA if you have a cargo drawer system. You'll have to completely empty the cargo out on the trail if you need to swap the fuel pump out. Either replace it in advance or cut a hole in your drawer system top and bottom pieces of wood and then cut the carpet on top of the fuel pump access hole for ease of access.

Wow, nice list of stuff.

One thing I can offer to your packing that works very well, are PVC 3" pipes. I use those to carry the axles, cut to length you need, and put the PVC caps on them. You could even secure these in the spare tire spot under the rig. That is if you have a bumper with tire carrier on the back of your rig. Boxes end up falling apart when they get wet... from those accidental deep dips. I found that out the hard way.

i'm going to get hammered for this, but maybe you all are breaking stuff because you have soooooo much extra weight in an allready heavy truck!?

Keep it light and take the essentials. JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom