What's in the 80 for Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

your klein 10 in 1 screw driver is missing the screw tips.

I think Dave went overkill especially because of the group he's traveling with. There is no way I'd carry that many tools. I dropped a bunch of wrench weight by just carrying the necessities. And I do carry some non-Toyota like a 13mm. It is one thing to be carrying these sorts of spares if you are doing a solo overland trip, but realistically on the Rubicon you are not too far from civilization in either direction. Things like fuel pumps are great for overland travel. But you have to be careful on how much. When I went in June I was way overweight compared to my normal wheeling weight. But I was carrying almost 20 gallons of water. Which was too much. I also had two big coolers and really should have only had one, but it was hot. Weight it what causes breakage.

every time I read through this thread I think of the women at the airport with 12 large suitcases. They have no idea what to pack so they bring everything.

You really need to evaluate your truck as far as maintenance goes and the likely hood of failure. There is no way you'll be able to pack for any situation so you need to pack for the most likely ones.

In my mind this is the best example of how not to prepare for a trip. Be smart, think it through and pack only what you think you need. If you come up short make the best of it.

I'd add a set of tie rod ends and a pair of drive flanges to the parts list.

At the last CM I used one of my flanges along with a new birf to fix one truck and a set of TRE's to fix another. In fact I could have used a second set of TRE's if I had them.

I'd add a set of tie rod ends and a pair of drive flanges to the parts list.

At the last CM I used one of my flanges along with a new birf to fix one truck and a set of TRE's to fix another. In fact I could have used a second set of TRE's if I had them.

Yes but you are supporting a fleet of vehicles...HOW MANY ITEMS DID YOUR TRUCK NEED!

None, actually. But, I do not wheel the extra hard trails. Rubicon is a nasty bastard and I would never take my vehicle on that trail.

Yea Cruiserdan! that's funny s***,that trail is a nasty bastard.Funny thing is you tend to forget how narly it was& want to do it again!We are glouttons for punishment,it 's a torture test of truck&man.

None, actually. But, I do not wheel the extra hard trails. Rubicon is a nasty bastard and I would never take my vehicle on that trail.

part of this is to also prepare the vehicle before hand. I have the original TREs and the right birf has a lot of wear but no clicking. So I could pack all these parts and wait for a failure or replace them prior to the trip.

Now I would still carry a birf but not TREs.

As I see it only 5% of the drive train is likely to have a problem. So pack for that 5% and service the other 95% before the trip.

The harder the trail, the more weight becomes a factor.

Good luck to him and in the end if he breaks something I think he's have it with him.

Do you have a sector shaft in there?

He doesn't need a sector shaft. The Nor Cal guys have a whole steering box along.

He doesn't need a sector shaft. The Nor Cal guys have a whole steering box along.

if it's a group then you can afford this kind of luxury. There should be one truck with tools and the others spread out the spares so no one is carrying more than 50lbs of support items. There really isn't a need for 5 high lift jacks and such when a couple would be more than enough.

The only way I would ever take that much crap is if I could leave it at camp. When I got to tellico, I normally do bring that much...but I leave just about all of it at camp.

You have to remember, you going wheeling with a bunch of other cruiserheads. Which means...

You are in the best possible place to break down, with parts a plenty and toyota mech's surrounding you.

Agree'ed you can take most of a cruiser apart with a 10,12,14,17mms..

I would carry the basics... axles, fluids, studs, Alternator, starter, and a hand full of fuses and wires...It would be a much lighter load that way.

That being said, when I know I am going rock crawling on the gnarliest trails for days on end..I will normally bring a welder and grinder with me (not on the trail though)..

Think light, it will make wheeling better and easier.

You could do without the max ax and shovel, otherwise looks good to me- maybe missing some spares (birf, belts, etc) but I've never been on a trip where someone said, "I shouldn't have brought my tools".

That 19mm might come in handy and you just never know what might work to do a trail fix...

You'd be surprised what tools you really don't need. Open/box wrenches right in the trash, go out and get the box/box wrenches and they are set up with different heads on each end. Cuts the number of wrenches in half. And then limiting to the sizes mentioned you have a total of 3 wrenches and then add a fourth for the axle bolts and your covered.

Now add a couple of ratchets with extensions and sockets along with the hub tools and you can pretty much pull any bolt out of the truck.

2 phillip screw drivers and 2 blade type covers the screws.

now add the misc

1 needle nose pliers
1 slip joint
1 diagonal cutter
solder
butane soldering torch
heat shrink
duct tape (200 mph)
spool of wire
flat repair kit
hacksaw
vice grips
snap ring plyers
volt ohm meter

This is just off the top of my head but I think it's got most of everything covered. You get the idea, you give up some of the luxury of having just the right tool to make the job easier but realistically you don't need those tools.

Last edited:
good short list Landtank, I think I'll reference it. (vice grips are a good addition tho, maybe a couple sizes)

I looked over what he's bringing and for some reason it doesn't seem that bad to me! hehe
sounds like he's got the bases covered... for all the common breakages and won't worry about being dependent.

good short list Landtank, I think I'll reference it. (vice grips are a good addition tho, maybe a couple sizes)

I looked over what he's bringing and for some reason it doesn't seem that bad to me! hehe
sounds like he's got the bases covered... for all the common breakages and won't worry about being dependent.

I added vice grips and snap ring plyers. forgot those the first time around. Now that I look at it I'm thinking of putting together a travel tool kit because of all the driving I do.

You guys crack me up with all of this talk about keeping an 80 series wagon light on the Rubicon trail.

With a few exceptions I think David has packed appropriately for the ‘Con. This may be overkill for those of you who wheel back East on trails that have a base camp or are within easy reach of a town that may carry spare parts. But not overkill for the Rubicon.

The Rubicon is a different trail and requires a different set of rules.

The Rubicon is remote and relentless. Nearly everyone breaks something. It may be cosmetic or it may be major, but I’ve rarely made it through clean. Maintenance has little to do with it. The trail will bring out any weak link in your set up. You have to be prepared. There is no cell phone service. The nearest town with auto parts from the Loon Lake entrance is Placerville which is an hour and a half drive. Chances of finding 80 specific parts there are slim and most likely a trip to Sacramento would be required. That is 2 ½ hours away.
Same story on the Tahoe exit of the trail. The nearest parts house is a small Napa in Tahoe City which rarely keeps any 80 specific parts. A 60 mile trip to Reno would be required for anything other than generic supplies. These times and distances are after you make it off the trail. Depending on where you break down, getting off the trail could take a few hours to half a day as long as your rescue vehicle doesn’t become disabled too.
Most breakdowns that require a parts run usually means spending at least an extra day on the trail and requires some poor soul to cut his trip short to go drive 150+ miles to help search for your spares. If you need something such as an axleshaft or custom driveshaft, you are out of luck. You would need to order them or find someone local who could rescue you. In David’s case where he is coming from out of state, these are not viable options.
The consequences of not being prepared are significant enough to warrant adding an extra hundred pounds of parts or tools. On an 80 series especially it won’t make much difference. When a trail-ready 80 is already approaching 7000 lbs it doesn’t make a significant difference whether you are at 6800 lbs or an even 7000. That extra hundred pounds or two will not determine whether you break down or not. The relentless nature of the trail will.
My point is; David, throw in that set of tie rod ends without guilt. (I’ve seen three 80s break them over my last five trips.) The extra five pounds won’t kill you and may save you three extra days of frustration trying to get your rig home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom