What would you recommend for a good set of driving lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just one more question how deep are they?

Little under 3.5" with the cover on and about 3" with the cover off (curve of the lens makes it look less than 3" in the second pic)

ntfoglightsmeasuretape.JPG

ntfoglightsmeasuretape2.JPG

I too, like Lightforce lights. The Lightforce 170's fit the ARB bumper better than the big 240's.

I ran 5 170's on my Dodge since 2001 and then transfered a pair over to my 80 this winter.

The Lightforces have been imported from Oz since about '99 up here in Alaska at quickly turned into the light of choice for just about every long-haul trucker up here (they like being able to add the blue add-on lens for winter fog/snow driving)

You can rotate the housing to create a broad fog or tight driving light. I woulcn't call the reflector "precision cut" (no top cut-off, just a round light pattern) and at 100w, you don't leave them on when passing traffic.

Haven't had a lick of trouble with them in 6 yrs. except the reflector has dulled a little bit after about 4 yrs. I may not have known except two lights were stolen and after replacing them, found the new lights where a tad brighter than the old ones. Even though there are 3 o-rings that seal the housing where it rotates, it appears a little moisture has gotten in there. The housing unthreads completely so the reflector can be washed/cleaned (in a liquid bath - the hole is too small to get your hand in there.

Oh hey, they're good landing light beacons too. A few months ago, we were out winter wheelin' and a member from our group got separared in the treed and brushy darkness as we cruised down a remote and broad valley. We had him on the radio but he didn't know which way to go. We stopped, I aimed my lightforces up at a 45 degree angle, locked the front and rear lockers and spun the truck in it's own circle on the glare ice of the river we were on. After a few minutes of dizzyness, he spotted the rotating lights shining in the sky and continued to follow them until he found us. Worked like a charm!

I have been extremely happy with my Hella 4000's. They are offered in a wide variety of beam patterns to suit your needs. They have a metal housing and glass lense and can be repaired modularly. That is to say that if you break a lens for example, you can replace it without purchasing an entire lamp assembly.

With that said, I've never had any reason to repair mine, other than the fact that I got mine for free from a friend who had them on his rack and ran them into a parking garage ceiling. The only carnage was a busted lens, so I replaced it with a new one, and off I went.

Driving lights

I have Hela Rallye 2000's ( http://www.rallylights.com/hella/2000.asp ) with 100watt lamps fitted. Currently I have two pencil beam units fitted although I am still loking for a spread beam light so that I can run one of each. I have seen them fitted on an ARB Winch bar and they fitted inside the bullbar hoop.
I have fitted Light Skins (www.altrex.com.au) to mine to protect them from stone damage. I have also fitted the Light Skin product to all of my front lights except the indicators to prevent stone damage.
The lights have a metal body and reflector. The lamp holders are replaceable if they become heat damaged.

Unfortunately they are no longer made but the Black Magic http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Black_Magic.asp is a good replacement. The Hella Rallye 4000 is a good light and is available in HID as well.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/4000Compact.asp
Front of truck.jpg

I have lightforce 240s on my rig and love them. I have the clear lenses and yellow diffused for foggy/snowy conditions. The flexibility to adjust the beam (like maglight flashlights) is really cool.

I have a set of 170s that are going on the wifes 80...just need to wire them up when I find a little time...

creek-sml.jpg

blue-sml.jpg

These lightforce lights are the best driving lights that I have ver had, or used.
I use them on the open highway when touring (never really needed them for around town driving...).
They have decent mounts too, not those tinny ones that forever adjust themselves, especially when you go off-road.

I have the lightforce 240's and like them. Other lights that I would consider would be the IPF HID, Hella 4000 HID.

Easy question. In order of preference Hella 4000, Hella 4000, Hella 4000. The current FF version that came out last year has twice the efficiency of the last generation.

creek-sml.jpg

blue-sml.jpg

These lightforce lights are the best driving lights that I have ver had, or used.
I use them on the open highway when touring (never really needed them for around town driving...).
They have decent mounts too, not those tinny ones that forever adjust themselves, especially when you go off-road.

i thought the lx450 wheels wernt available in oz land ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom