What would you do!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Daughters 94, 149,000 miles. She went off to college and I parked her 80 and bought her an Accord.
Went to start it up and move it today and it’s got a HORRIBLE knock. Which after 5sec turns into a loud tick.
Levels/gauges are fine.
I’m beyond pissed, because otherwise it’s mint.
Had arranged for a friend of a friend mechanic to come take a look, but he no-showed on me.
Thoughts?

I wouldn’t panic. Gather info. I’d send an oil sample to blackstone, for an oil analysis. Get tin snips and open up the oil filter and look for metal.

Last edited:
If the motor is shot, look into a rebuild or LS swap. The cost of a rebuild vs a swap might be a wash. With an LS swap parts are more readily available at some small mom and pop shop.

Could it simply be because the truck sat for a while and the oil pickup took a few seconds to get oil circulating from the pan again?

@Bwindy

Don't panic. I bet your just hearing a bad power steering pump.

Check all the fluids. If the fluids are good start it up and have a listen with a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can find the source of the noise because the power steering can make knocking ticking noise.

With low miles like that I doubt you have a real rod knock.

@Bwindy

Don't panic. I bet your just hearing a bad power steering pump.

Check all the fluids. If the fluids are good start it up and have a listen with a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can find the source of the noise because the power steering can make knocking ticking noise.

With low miles like that I doubt you have a real rod knock.

Thank you all for your replies.
I’m just frustrated and a little annoyed that the guy no-showed on me to give it a look. I really love these things, and kicked around the idea of selling my Tundra and daily driving the 80.
I like the character and uniqueness of it!
I’ll chill out and do more homework.
Thanks again!

Knocking noises that originate from sitting are usually just something just sticking. If it's just ticking now drive it. The ticking noise should go away. And then start it the next day - there's a good chance the knock won't be there.

What oil filter do you have on it?

Hopefully not a Wix or Napa Gold.

What oil filter do you have on it?

Hopefully not a Wix or Napa Gold.
Good Ol Fram, lol.
On that note, for whatever it’s worth, oil looks/smells fine.
The part that baffles me is the very first few seconds, it’s a hell of a knock, like I have to force myself through gritting teeth to let it run. After that it’s a distinct tick. From my untrained ear, perhaps towards the back of the engine bay.

The part that baffles me is the very first few seconds, it’s a hell of a knock, like I have to force myself through gritting teeth to let it run

Is the loud knock happening on every startup now, or just the one time after it sat for an extended period?

What RPM was it revving to on initial startup, and what was it at when the knock subsided?

Its done! Ill give ya $324 for it,,, :) I recently let my LX sit for a year, made a little fuss on start up caught my ear for a moment... let it run and all good. Im over 250K miles on mine.

Good luck, you will get great advice from this forum. And your right. These beasts have a ton of character. For the first couple of weeks i gave serious consideration of selling mine and getting a new Bronco... after week 3... not having it. love driving the LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom