What would you do with this 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would sell that jump seat to me… I could use a driver side with a decent frame.

Like I said... once I'm done with my 62 (in my signature) I'll probably work on getting the yellow one back home (from my sister in laws) as the Ol' Blue Eyes gets a spot in the garage and get them both cleaned up/sorted and get under them both to really see what's going on.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 305 V8 in Ol' Blue eyes but I've only gotten it running (with junk exhaust) so I won't know much until I tear into them... may use the yellow drivetrain in the blue one, but may opt for something at least a little more modern (not sure of advantages/disadvantages of 2F vs 155F, but I'll get my reading done before I make any moves...
I would absolutely go that route. Pull the v8 and put the F in your nice blue 40, then pull all those other good parts off the yellow one for the shelf or sale.

if you part out I would b interested in : Speedometer, drivers side wind/wing window, hood spear, dash for sure
Mines the wrong year, but I e always admired the hood spear. Probably the only hood ornament I’ve ever really liked.

I am sad. Pull the body, check the frame for straightness. Jump Seats? @thatcabledude

If you do part it out, there is a dash switch for the overhead lamp that I would like (need) . Sometimes people part out and some of the little items someone needs goes by the wayside.

I appreciate the buzzard mentality and I’ll definitely come back to this thread when the time comes… I’m a CPA in Atlanta so things are about to get busy but hoping to finish up my 62 next week and spend some of my free time on the other 40 I have…

But that includes getting the yellow one here to give her a little more attention and probably make some decisions

Reading this thread I was thinking the same thing, buzzards. There are some desirable parts on that 40 that are easy to sell, the little hard to find parts, but at some point you'll be left with the less desirable parts you'll be stuck with. Your the one doing the work. If you have a spot to store it, you might want to sit on it for a while and slowly find deals and collect parts. Looking at it, it seems fairly complete with some good metal left on it. It could be a nice Resto-Mod driver. Power steering, 4 wheel disc maybe a 5 speed etc. There's an ad in the classified section selling an aquala tub and stk tubs and body parts show up periodically or maybe find somethings local. Stuff is bound to show up. Start collecting bits and pieces.

Last edited:
Reading this thread I was thinking the same thing, buzzards. There are some desirable parts on that 40 that are easy to sell, the little hard to find parts, but at some point you'll be left with the less desirable parts you'll be stuck with. Your the one doing the work. If you have a spot to store it, you might want to sit on it for a while and slowly find deals and collect parts. Looking at it, it seems fairly complete with some good metal left on it. It could be a nice Resto-Mod driver. Power steering, 4 wheel disc maybe a 5 speed etc. There's an ad in the classified section selling an aquala tub and stk tubs and body parts show up periodically or maybe find somethings local. Stuff is bound to show up. Start collecting bits and pieces.

Buzzards , a bird scavenging on the dead. This in no way is near the term buzzards. These are vehicles, machines, that are pretty messed up. I know if the FJ40 was restored at 300,000 dollars, then by all means restraighten all the special metal and get the 300,000. I grew up many years ago around wrecking yards, junkyards , that supplied people with parts that were not available, and / or less expensive than the still available parts. Most people see an FJ40 in this condition as parts salvageable and already feel the cost to bring this back to running condition is just a giant cost. You can buy something already better. So, people are not buzzards, they are conscious that the seller can get some revenue for the parts they need. They are not eating a liver from some animal. If I had this I would enjoy taking it apart and selling the parts to people. Also , back in the early 1970s, I needed anew engine , 351 Ford, junkyard had a wrecked Mach 1, 8K miles, I bought it for 150.00 as a wonderful replacement. The wrecking yard owner was happy to sell it. He did not call me a buzzard.
I think that as vehicles age it would be very nice that when parts are selling off of a crashed vehicle , one would be happy. So many vehicles have been destroyed that now would make someone happy. I suppose Buzzards just sounds bad because , well ,you know.

Last edited:
Buzzards , a bird scavenging on the dead. This in no way is near the term buzzards. These are vehicles, machines, that are pretty messed up. I know if the FJ40 was restored at 300,000 dollars, then by all means restraighten all the special metal and get the 300,000. I grew up many years ago around wrecking yards, junkyards , that supplied people with parts that were not available, and / or less expensive than the still available parts. Most people see an FJ40 in this condition as parts salvageable and already feel the cost to bring this back to running condition is just a giant cost. You can buy something already better. So, people are not buzzards, they are conscious that the seller can get some revenue for the parts they need. They are not eating a liver from some animal. If I had this I would enjoy taking it apart and selling the parts to people. Also , back in the early 1970s, I needed anew engine , 351 Ford, junkyard had a wrecked Mach 1, 8K miles, I bought it for 150.00 as a wonderful replacement. The wrecking yard owner was happy to sell it. He did not call me a buzzard.
I think that as vehicles age it would be very nice that when parts are selling off of a crashed vehicle , one would be happy. So many vehicles have been destroyed that now would make someone happy. I suppose Buzzards just sounds bad because , well ,you know.

Yep, they're circling. A purist that wants to tear it apart. He sees something he needs. Sort of hypocritical. Usually the purist encourages saving it. I would say the junkyard you bought the engine from is the scavenger. That's what they do and the service they provide. If the 40's engine isnt locked up, with a little work you could drive that 40. You certainly have to do mechanicals because its been sitting for 10 or 15yrs. Id make it a driver. Upgrade to discs and power steering, and probably a different driveline. Obviously, Im not a purist. People on this site has started with much less.

Yep, they're circling. A purist that wants to tear it apart. He sees something he needs. Sort of hypocritical. Usually the purist encourages saving it. I would say the junkyard you bought the engine from is the scavenger. That's what they do and the service they provide. If the 40's engine isnt locked up, with a little work you could drive that 40. You certainly have to do mechanicals because its been sitting for 10 or 15yrs. Id make it a driver. Upgrade to discs and power steering, and probably a different driveline. Obviously, Im not a purist. People on this site has started with much less.

No, purist DOES want to save . The images here leaves a restoration cost INCREDIBLY more than finding another FJ40 in much better shape. I see builds all day long , and put 125,000 into this and sell it for 50,000. OR, just spend money and never calculate that. Many rich people do. FJCO has many richers who buy restos for six figure numbers , all day long. ( I do live in USA and know how normal it is to spend a dollar to gain a penny) There are people who are looking for small items at a reasonable cost to complete their own personal vehicles to be stock. I originally said just "BUFF THIS OUT", put it in Barett-jackson and see what you get. So, if money is NO object , as usual, spend at will. I am speaking for people who are NOT RICH and are trying to find parts , if they can.
The junkyard I had , many years ago, provided a service that was wonderful. People wreck a car , useless, and they really should dispose of the car. They found methods to provide real estate for replacement parts , and sometimes a real bargain for the needy people. I believe today that is recycling. DO YOU RECYCLE. If you do, you fit into the same area. The nice thing on junkyards is it could be doors, engines, glass, wheels, and more to live on.
When I see the images of this FJ40, I do not believe FJCO would consider a base for anything.

No, purist DOES want to save . The images here leaves a restoration cost INCREDIBLY more than finding another FJ40 in much better shape. I see builds all day long , and put 125,000 into this and sell it for 50,000. OR, just spend money and never calculate that. Many rich people do. FJCO has many richers who buy restos for six figure numbers , all day long. ( I do live in USA and know how normal it is to spend a dollar to gain a penny) There are people who are looking for small items at a reasonable cost to complete their own personal vehicles to be stock. I originally said just "BUFF THIS OUT", put it in Barett-jackson and see what you get. So, if money is NO object , as usual, spend at will. I am speaking for people who are NOT RICH and are trying to find parts , if they can.
The junkyard I had , many years ago, provided a service that was wonderful. People wreck a car , useless, and they really should dispose of the car. They found methods to provide real estate for replacement parts , and sometimes a real bargain for the needy people. I believe today that is recycling. DO YOU RECYCLE. If you do, you fit into the same area. The nice thing on junkyards is it could be doors, engines, glass, wheels, and more to live on.
When I see the images of this FJ40, I do not believe FJCO would consider a base for anything.
All, I've had my hands on this yellow 40 and the pictures don't do it justice. My personal opinion is that it is in much better shape than it appears in the pictures. Yeah, the body took a slight beating, but the other things, at least as far as drivetrain, frame and related misc. stuff are all very solid. Once @jesus888 and I can get it from where it is being stored & back to his place, put on good tires & a good pressure washing, I'm sure he'll post updates and go we'll go from there. Stay tuned!

My dilemma is that I think this yellow girl could be something neat and fun but I’d just be putting it together and doing the mechanical work to eventually sell it…
I just don’t need 2 x FJ40s (at this point, at least) but considering selling it as-is…
This would look great in my hedge row, I'd buy it as is.

All, I've had my hands on this yellow 40 and the pictures don't do it justice. My personal opinion is that it is in much better shape than it appears in the pictures. Yeah, the body took a slight beating, but the other things, at least as far as drivetrain, frame and related misc. stuff are all very solid. Once @jesus888 and I can get it from where it is being stored & back to his place, put on good tires & a good pressure washing, I'm sure he'll post updates and go we'll go from there. Stay tuned!

I will stay tuned. There is a difference in being solid vs. being bent from damage. The images shown appears every piece of metal has been damaged. I suppose if one would take off the body and evaluate the frame, that would tell a lot. History shows that rolling a vehicle with heavy underside hides a lot of unseen damage. That is why a lot of observers on here think the cost / benefit is not there.

I will stay tuned. There is a difference in being solid vs. being bent from damage. The images shown appears every piece of metal has been damaged. I suppose if one would take off the body and evaluate the frame, that would tell a lot. History shows that rolling a vehicle with heavy underside hides a lot of unseen damage. That is why a lot of observers on here think the cost / benefit is not there.
Don't worry. All that will be checked. Information will be shared when the appropriate time comes.

I agree with the value in wrecking yard. Back in 74 when I bought my 68 I needee a few parts from shoddy work by the previous owner. Even then Toyota was mighty proud of their parts and in many case items were only available as a complete unit. Wrecking yard made it possible to fix things for a reasonable cost. Sadly the days of wrecking hanging onto a vehicle until there was nothing left to salvage are gone. Today major components are pulled and stored in a warehouse. Most list them online. The rest get moved to the pick and pull where your are charged to go in and see what is available. With a couple months the vehicle is crushed. Even this rare cruiser didn't last long once it was moved to the pick and pull.
20141014_113848_resized.jpg
wrecked HJ47.jpg

I bought ever bid of running gear except the engine. Plus about anything else of value. After a few months checked and what was left was crushed and recycled.

I agree with the value in wrecking yard. Back in 74 when I bought my 68 I needee a few parts from shoddy work by the previous owner. Even then Toyota was mighty proud of their parts and in many case items were only available as a complete unit. Wrecking yard made it possible to fix things for a reasonable cost. Sadly the days of wrecking hanging onto a vehicle until there was nothing left to salvage are gone. Today major components are pulled and stored in a warehouse. Most list them online. The rest get moved to the pick and pull where your are charged to go in and see what is available. With a couple months the vehicle is crushed. Even this rare cruiser didn't last long once it was moved to the pick and pull.View attachment 3218206View attachment 3218207
I bought ever bid of running gear except the engine. Plus about anything else of value. After a few months checked and what was left was crushed and recycled.

Did they make you pull it apart , or, did they pull it and it ready on shelf.

Did they make you pull it apart , or, did they pull it and it ready on shelf.

I purchased the drivetrain parts off the complete vehicle. Only drivetrain part that made it to the warehouse was the 2H. I was not allowed to pull the parts. Wish I could pulled the parts. The cable for the hand brake on the transfer case was cut. The rod that connect the sway bar to the axle were cut. The final piece of the PTO driveshaft at winch went MIA. I did spend hours pulling parts. Removed every bit of hard brake line to upgrade my 65 FJ45. Drilled rivets to get brackets off the frame. They removed the rear axle over the springs and out the side. Rear springs were a chore to remove. Shackles are a simple anti inversion. While pain I am now glad they just didn't cut the shackles to remove the axle. Figured I would never get another opportunity to have a troopy end up in a wrecking yard 10 miles away. There were a lot of treasures on that 84 I pulled. Some not just non US market but NLA anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom