What to paint frame with after sandblasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did powdercoat. Black over several layers of zinc-rich powder. Frame was blasted first then dipped in an acid bath. Afterward I filled every seam and crevice with heavy spray wax. Rear axle housing got the same treatment. If I ever find my spare front axle housing it'll get the same. I wasn't going for pretty and have oversprayed paint on the frame in several areas while working on other components. Meh. I don't have any chips or peeling with a fair amount miles on gravel fire roads. Not a ton - just a fair amount. There are small nicks and tiny dings but nothing concerning. I was going to galvanize but I wasn't happy about dealing with the webbed-over areas and tapping every bolt hole as per Rob Mullen's experience.

Here's what I said more than a decade ago: #9

Last edited:
In about ‘93 I sprayed my frame with almost a gallon of Tremclad black. I sand blasted, wiped down with lacquer thinner and shot about 4 coats. On all the areas that were 1/2 decent it hasn’t needed attention since. On a couple areas at the rear, I’ve washed it down and hit it with a rattle can. Overall, 28 years later it’s still holding up very well... not bad for $30 of paint.

I have been very happy in the past with Tectyl (1970s and '80's) applied to new cars in a high humidity coastal area. On the Dagha Boy I sandblasted everything and immediately coated with red oxide primer. Then used good quality undercoat and paint. During the 6 years build process, especially now at the end with exhaust guys etc working on it the frame has taken some hard knocks and the top coat has chipped off in small places. This I think is understandable under the circumstances. What is interesting is that nowhere, but nowhere has the red oxide etch primer come off.

We live in high humidity/high salt air right on the dunes overlooking the ocean. The garage where it will be kept by the new owner is less than 300ft from the high water mark. Sometimes for days everything is wet and the air even tastes like salt. We have decided to thoroughly Tectyl all the hollow sections and the inside of the frame after the photos are taken just as a precaution. It is not going to be used hard, mainly for run around in the village for a few weeks a year but unfortunately it is going to be sitting still in less than ideal conditions. It is a belt and braces approach but I think still the best protection is top quality paint with meticulous prep according to manufacturer's recommendations. Hopefully all of that will keep the rust demons at bay.

I would just have it galvanized. It gets inside and outside.
Galvanized is a great option if it’s available in your area.

Just keep in mind that zinc is extremely toxic to weld through... it’s very nasty and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom