What to do while instrument cluster is out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruxarche

SILVER Star
Threads
I am going to do the temp gauge diode mod soon and want to take advantage of having the cluster out. Any suggestions on what maintenance/mods to do while it is out? My speedometer sticks when it is cold and takes a minute or two to start functioning. So I am wondering if that could be the gauge itself or another part. I have not researched that yet. My oil gauge also reads low after having the shop replace the sending unit. So that could be a gauge issue as well?

Thanks for any ideas.

Anyone done LED lamps in the instrument clusters on 80's?

Lots of information in this thread: @sunrk

if you buy clear incandescent bulbs are the stock color "condoms" re usable or can they be purchased?
When I bought the Toyota bulb for the PRNDL shift light, it came clear so had to reuse the green jimmy from the burnt out og bulb. I don't know if a part # exists for the green magnum.

I'm finding it difficult to locate the type 74 bulb covers, I found some green 194 on amazon. Id just go LED but i keep seeing posts on forums with people running into issues after changing over to LED, I'm jut looking for some "D" action :rofl::cool:

I'm finding it difficult to locate the type 74 bulb covers, I found some green 194 on amazon. Id just go LED but i keep seeing posts on forums with people running into issues after changing over to LED, I'm jut looking for some "D" action :rofl::cool:

Just my internet opinion, but I find LEDs on a 90s vehicle to be a bit anachronistic. There's a certain warmth to incan bulbs that should remain as original. Not only did they last you a quarter century, but they're plenty bright enough. I see some i-panel examples running LEDs lit up like TImes Sq and I just wonder if folks are having to wear sunglasses to avoid retina damage.

Leave the LEDs for your TVs, Teslas and energy conserving 2023 xmas decorations. /imho

Just my internet opinion, but I find LEDs on a 90s vehicle to be a bit anachronistic. There's a certain warmth to incan bulbs that should remain as original. Not only did they last you a quarter century, but they're plenty bright enough. I see some i-panel examples running LEDs lit up like TImes Sq and I just wonder if folks are having to wear sunglasses to avoid retina damage.

Leave the LEDs for your TVs, Teslas and energy conserving 2023 xmas decorations. /imho
I am with you on this one. I will probably relpace all the bulbs with oem while i am in there.

While your there go ahead and do:
1. Head Gasket or actually just do a full cummins 6bt swap
2. 1-ton axles
3. atlas T-case
4. crazy custom coilover setup
5. sell your house and buy a shed because that's where you'll be for the next 10 years.

I've had multiple eye surgeries (cataracts and torn retinas) and LED's and the HID headlights really mess with my reception of lights. I can see a lot of the LED cycling and it drives me nuts.

I prefer the "yellowish" look of incandescent bulbs for both headlights as well as dash lights.

When I drive at night, I turn down the dash lights so they are barely visible. I don't like all the navigation screens because they are too bright for my liking, even at the lowest settings. The LED headlights are too "white" for me and I get no depth.

I believe there is a temp gauge mod that makes the gauge actually useful. I'd look into doing that while you got it out.

While your there go ahead and do:
1. Head Gasket or actually just do a full cummins 6bt swap
2. 1-ton axles
3. atlas T-case
4. crazy custom coilover setup
5. sell your house and buy a shed because that's where you'll be for the next 10 years.
I thought you were kidding til I dared take a peek at your build thread. Way over my head brother. way. I will be lucky to get the cluster out, fix the bulbs and gagues, and get it back in. First I need to source a new oil pressure gauge. Replaced the sender and still not functioning properly. If i had the time I would think about a full gauge swap, yours look amazing.

I believe there is a temp gauge mod that makes the gauge actually useful. I'd look into doing that while you got it out.
THanks. Diodes are on the way. I need to find a new oil/temp gauge first.

is there a mod to prevent christmas lighting the display when the alternator has a fault? (HDJ-81 problem only?)

My speedometer sticks when it is cold and takes a minute or two to start functioning.

While the cluster is out completely remove your speedo cable and the cable housing from the truck. The most difficult part is the back of the cluster.

While it is out remove the cable from the cable housing. Use brake cleaner, carb cleaner or something similar and spray into the top of the cable hosujng and let it drain. Do this until no more black nasty stuff comes out.

Than clean the cable, re lube the cable and the cable housing, and re-install.

My 91 had a sticky cable that made a ton of noise when it was cold. The oem cable was NLA. I did the steps above and it was good as new.

Be careful when taking the shift position display out its a white rectangle insert that holds the d light bulbs and others my was very brittle and I stole one tab there is two tabs that need depressing to take out. When you pull it out you have do push the bottom into the dash and kinda rotate down and out. Easy job takes maybe 30 min to get out and replace bulbs. I pulled mine to fix the oil pressure gauge and replaced all bulbs with led. The d light is on now but I wish I left it out like @BILT4ME said it’s nice to have dim dash lights at night. Also your center console shifter is supposed to be back lit, mine was not and since I was ordering bulbs I replaced that one also.

823E19D1-53EC-42E3-A7B4-A3AFADE8AECE.jpeg

8E3A27BB-FCB2-4C10-9FC5-1B462554C8CF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom