What to do for a easy anti theft device? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Basically just what the title says, we hike and camp a lot and leave the Cruiser at the different trailheads a lot of times. I search but didn't find anything like I wanted. Thought about just pulling the EFI relay or fuse if that would work, but am open to suggestions. Thanks

A micro switch that interrupts the EFI or fuel pump or crank sensor is easily hidden.
Take the ignition wire off the coil.
Take the EFI with you, but be aware that the horn relay is the same part.

It’s been discussed before and your on the right track.

Like rusty said, Pull EFI or main lead to dizzy/coil. Most crooks won’t take time to diagnose a no start.

download (2).jpeg

Here’s a bunch of notes about kill switches.

“Put a switch inline with the starter wire. Not the battery cable to the starter, the signal that closes the relay to run the starter.

Whenever I have to park my rig somewhere sketchy I always pull the EFI relay and keep it with my keys.

When I did mine, I went to the fuel cut solenoid on the pump itself, cut that wire, & soldered the switch wires to the cut wires. That way, no amount of tampering under the dash will result in a startup, plus, should the switch ever fail, it is dead simple to bypass it under the bonnet if you know where to do it. Very few car thieves would start messing about under the bonnet,...they prefer to lay across the floor out of sight and fiddle under the dash.

When I did mine, I went to the fuel cut solenoid on the pump itself, cut that wire, & soldered the switch wires to the cut wires. That way, no amount of tampering under the dash will result in a startup, plus, should the switch ever fail, it is dead simple to bypass it under the bonnet if you know where to do it. Very few car thieves would start messing about under the bonnet,...they prefer to lay across the floor out of sight and fiddle under the dash.

A good place to hide the kill switch is on the inside of the centre console where there is a gap next to the base of the hand brake where you can reach inside.

Find a wire somewhere that will keep the truck from starting if it is cut. Cut said wire and install a switch. Preferably in a dry and "secret" location.

I'm a fan of the fuel pump switch, that way the engine will crank over (and make noise) but not start. Not too many thieves will hang around after making a racket. Disabling the starter is silent and may encourage a thief to look for a switch.

leave the transfer case in neutral, the scum bags can start it but if they do not know any thing about 4x4s they will not be driving it anywhere.
Kill switch is good if you remember and use it.

I wired a kill system that auto resets every time you shut the ignition off. To start the ignition needs to be in the on position and you press a momentary secret button to complete the EFI circuit and then it will start. If you do not complete the sequence all it does is crank. Once you shut the engine off its start over. It is so seamless many watch knowing and never see the secret.

I have used this system without any issues since 1978 on numerous vehicles using only a DPDT relay and button.

If its still there you can rewire the security system kill switch relay to a toggle switch. Its easy to find if you follow the wires but requires removing panels to get to.

Another popular secondary kill switch is the fuel pump. Make it extra hard to find. The truck will start and run but will die shortly after taking off. After the fact you may have to pay to get the truck out of impound depending on where you live. Once on the road a car thief won't trouble shoot because it draws to much attention and a cop may show up asking if he needs help calling a tow truck to get him out of the street. They'll usually ditch the car and move to something else.”

Kill switch, or a three way switch that takes your starter wire and redirects power to your horn.

Could also run your dome light to the horn, but you’d want the switch on the outside of your rig to turn it on and off after you have exited

There's some good ideas there, @Road Apple.

@McDowra, just do the 2UZ swap, you know you wanna. Take the donor key with you when you leave. The factory immobilizer system is super effective. Damn thing had me chasing electrical ghosts at first for longer than I'd care to admit.

This thread makes me think of the classic bike theif prank videos.....

I want to figure out how to make the airbag go off if someone try's to steel my rig.

I really feel like the fuel pump and especially the starter is placebo to anyone who thinks a kill switch will stop someone who knows these rigs. And, most likely, people who target these rigs know them. I can get 12v to the starter signal in about 2 minutes without ever popping the hood. I can get 12v to the fuel pump in about as much time (thieves don't take care of other people's things, and the fuel pump is just one quick cut with a razor from an otherwise completely assembled rig. I prefer to go after a wire feeding the ecu, such as the switched power.

I second what was said about having a setup that makes noise (another reason to hate on the starter method), as well as having an auto resetting momentary switch. Works brilliantly

Remove the wheels and place them inside, with the lug nuts in your pocket.

1617822989131.png

Amazon product ASIN B00007E7LO
This was actually the anti-theft device of choice when most of our trucks were born, so almost OEM, lol... I still have one in my garage....can find the keys, though. :(

If the starter solenoid upgrade was done using a relay (dreaded click click click symptoms), then that relay can be on a switch which in turn can be used as a kill switch. Or, if that relay is powered by a fused circuit, which it should, then pull that fuse. Either option will work and if you accidentally flip it while driving, nothing will happen because you're not trying to start your engine while driving down the road.

If you really want to make it challenging...

Replace a few mission critical fuses with blown fuses.

Add a dummy kill switch, clearly labeled and in plain site.

Hide the real kill switch.

So you go hiking while leaving your pooch in a hot rig?
This is the best way to prep them for the grill. You got to sweat out the kibble flavor.........

I don’t want to give away all my secrets, but a good after market alarm system will have a signal wire when disarmed by the remote. Use this to drive a fuel cut off solenoid someone inline between the tank and engine. That way you don’t have to worry about activating a kill switch each time you drive the car. (When you unlock the car it deactivates the fuel kill).
Secondly, add in a real time GPS tracker so you can track the vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom