What to do for a easy anti theft device? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope they do. As I said, the kill switch is just for the thieves who don't know what they're doing. A GPS tracker embedded in the chassis should be enough to send the smart ones running. And no, I'm not going to post where I've hidden that.
They’ll steal it while you’re asleep and then spend a few hours stripping it in an abandoned industrial park. But at least the GPS tracker will lead you to the carcass.

EZYD_L1XYAATdKP.jpg

They’ll steal it while you’re asleep and then spend a few hours stripping it in an abandoned industrial park. But at least the GPS tracker will lead you to the carcass.
I've got four young kids and PTSD. What's sleep?

I'm considering doing a steering wheel lock though. I used to have one on my 93 hilux. Then the lock failed one time, and I had to call a mate to come by with some tools so we could drill the lock. That kinda turned me off them.

....None of this helps if the thief has a flatbed tow truck.
A friend reported in the past that his neighbor had her Tacoma stolen out of front yard overnight in this manner. Not sure how they gathered this was the method used, probably by tire tracks. This was on Big Island of Hawaii. In rural areas, gates are pretty much essential there. Of course, they're not impregnable either.

It sucks that vehicle theft is such a concern. I've left my FJ62 unlocked on the street here in SE Alaska for most of its 18 years with me. Not any more though. Occasionally dope fiends will rifle through unlocked rigs here, and so will bears. Yes, they've been videoed opening car doors. They're a bigger concern since more likely to cause damage. Leaving food smells inside car is really asking for trouble. They don't attempt to steal rigs though, and its very rare for humans to try that either. Small landlocked towns with no where to go, they'd get caught one way or another.
GPS and a simple kill switch sounds good to me. Maybe a sticker somewhere prominent that says vehicle protected by GPS?

On my trailer I'll sometimes run a heavy-gauge chain through the spokes of the wheel and wrap around the trailer frame or leaf spring with padlock tucked up where it's hard to reach (i.e. climbing underneath with bolt cutters and actually using them would be pretty involved). I guess that would be hard since the LC wheels are filled up with brakes.

A friend reported in the past that his neighbor had her Tacoma stolen out of front yard overnight in this manner. Not sure how they gathered this was the method used, probably by tire tracks. This was on Big Island of Hawaii. In rural areas, gates are pretty much essential there. Of course, they're not impregnable either.

It sucks that vehicle theft is such a concern. I've left my FJ62 unlocked on the street here in SE Alaska for most of its 18 years with me. Not any more though. Occasionally dope fiends will rifle through unlocked rigs here, and so will bears. Yes, they've been videoed opening car doors. They're a bigger concern since more likely to cause damage. Leaving food smells inside car is really asking for trouble. They don't attempt to steal rigs though, and its very rare for humans to try that either. Small landlocked towns with no where to go, they'd get caught one way or another.
GPS and a simple kill switch sounds good to me. Maybe a sticker somewhere prominent that says vehicle protected by GPS?
I wouldn't tip them off. Unless it's not true, in which case maybe it helps.

I have a switch hidden and I never say where and what it does, because, I don't trust anyone :flipoff2:

I will have this on the site for pre orders sometime in the next 10 days or so. The best part is that it requires no wires to be cut. Easy to install and easy to remove.

I suspect this will work on a myriad of Toyota's but have yet to confirm that. It does work perfectly in the FZJ80's.⁠

This kit will include everything needed to install a starter kill switch WITHOUT cutting any wires. 50amp relay, marine wiring, basic on/off switch, etc. Once installed, you will have the ability to disable the starter by the simple flip of a switch. The kit requires connecting our kit, mounting the relay, and using the included fuse tap for an 'ignition on' power source. After that, just mount the switch at your favorite hidden location. I also give enough length in the switch wiring that you can mount the switch just about anywhere within reach of the driver.⁠ I would have pictures of it installed in my rig, but I am not going to share that detail;)

More to come.

DSC_0957.jpg
vines-5.jpg
vines-6.jpg

Last edited:
Do a manual gearbox conversion.

Venezuelan build 80 series have factory Toyota coded keys 😎🔑🔑

I will have this on the site for pre orders sometime in the next 10 days or so. The best part is that it requires no wires to be cut. Easy to install and easy to remove.

I suspect this will work on a myriad of Toyota's but have yet to confirm that. It does work perfectly in the FZJ80's.⁠

This kit will include everything needed to install a starter kill switch WITHOUT cutting any wires. 50amp relay, marine wiring, basic on/off switch, etc. Once installed, you will have the ability to disable the starter by the simple flip of a switch. The kit requires disconnecting the starter solenoid wire, connecting our kit, mounting the relay, and using the included fuse tap for an 'ignition on' power source. After that, just mount the switch at your favorite hidden location. I also give enough length in the switch wiring that you can mount the switch just about anywhere within reach of the driver.⁠ I would have pictures of it installed in my rig, but I am not going to share that detail;)

More to come.

View attachment 2774309View attachment 2774310View attachment 2774311
Interesting! Any planned variations for other components?

Not sure what that means?
UK versions as well as Venezuelan trucks have a special "Immobiliser" setup that the ECU and Key are specifically coded to each other and it's an act of God to get a new key or to fix if there is a problem.

There are a few cases of someone losing their keys and the truck becomes a boat anchor because you cannot bypass it due to the ECU.

This kit will include everything needed to install a starter kill switch WITHOUT cutting any wires. 50amp relay, marine wiring, basic on/off switch, etc. Once installed, you will have the ability to disable the starter by the simple flip of a switch. The kit requires disconnecting the starter solenoid wire, connecting our kit, mounting the relay, and using the included fuse tap for an 'ignition on' power source. After that, just mount the switch at your favorite hidden location. I also give enough length in the switch wiring that you can mount the switch just about anywhere within reach of the driver.⁠ I would have pictures of it installed in my rig, but I am not going to share that detail;)

More to come.

What a great product, looks to be well made as usual.

Curious, have you given any thought to build a similar kit to take care of our famous click click starter issue? It's a tad bit more invasive but one relay can provide the solution that some of us have employed to bypass the old, tired ignition wire to the solenoid. I haven't had a single click click since this starter relay mod I did last year. This same relay can also be used as a kill switch.

Just a random thought!

More to come.

this would be awesome if we could tun a factory switch into the "required" switch, would this be possible??

this would be awesome if we could tun a factory switch into the "required" switch, would this be possible??

That would definitely be cool. I assume you'd want it to be a momentary switch that along with the key turn would light the starter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom