What part is this - Can you help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am trying to restore a 1966 FJ 40 - Can you please help with Identifying this part ,,,,

1966.png

that lever is to move the transfer case from 4H to 4L
pull the knob on the dash to engage 4WD
if going to 4L the knob needs to be pulled out first so the lever will move

This might be interesting. “Restoring” this rig and don’t know what that lever is? @kash I suggest starting with a user‘s manual before doing anything else, then get the factory support/report (engine, body) manuals for this year cruiser. Good luck.

Going from memory there is two pins. One is fixed and used to be sure 4WD knob is pulled when in low range. The second is used to lock the lever in place to be sure it doesn't get pulled by accident while moving. Think of a grab bar the passenger would grab on a sharp turn. This pin has a chain to be sure it doesn't get lost when it is pulled to go into low range.

Thank you all, Greatly appreciate all the help...... I got a 1966 which was upgraded to 1979 whoever did the conversion was serious, hr/she took out everything body panels / replaced the dashboard , gear box so I am thinking on how to get it back to 1966 .......... I think this is going to be a tough roll back.... Yes I am reading up on the model and started to amass parts ......... it is powered with a 3B should I go to 2F or I was thinking 1HDT - Let me know ???

db.jpg

Is that RHD? Is that a 5spd? I would say that is not a 66 or a 79 just from what I see (I mean it could be, but I am not convinced. I'm in Toronto. I have parts, but nothing older than 75, its all 75 and up. Good luck.

What makes you think it's a 1966? The work you describe to convert to 1979 is so extensive as to really not be worth it. Same thing going back to 66. Where is the gas tank?

I guess the first pic isn’t what‘s being worked on. Hard to help not knowing what’s what. 🤷‍♂️

This is a ground up restore , started to buy parts to bring it as close to a 66 as I can , but need help with the dashboard parts

This is a ground up restore , started to buy parts to bring it as close to a 66 as I can , but need help with the dashboard parts
Based on your existing transmission...your first question in this thread is not relevant. I can see the the transfer case shifter on your floor, so you don't have a dash mounted shifter. If you are looking for help from the board, I would suggest posting more than a single dash pic to help verify whether or not this truck is a 66. I believe there is a much greater chance that this is a truck with a vin swap to 66 rather than an actual 66. Based on the single dash pick, I would say that this is a RHD '83 or '84 truck. Admittedly I don't see enough information on the single pic to verify this, but I lean more to those years than a '66. Having worked on a LOT of these trucks here in Toronto, I have seen very few '66 trucks in Ontario. They are around, but I have seen way more '70s to 1984 trucks than I have seen pre-70s trucks.

I notice no dash pad or heater as well, so this looks like a south american import, which leads me to believe even more that this is a vin swap rather than a transmission/transfercase swap....but who knows...

I notice no dash pad or heater as well, so this looks like a south american import, which leads me to believe even more that this is a vin swap rather than a transmission/transfercase swap....but who knows...

As far as I know all Central and South America cruisers are LHD. As for the VIN swap would be fairly easy to determine that. Insert dash on a RHD would be 10/81+. Fuel tank would be under the tub not under the driver's seat on a RHD. That's the next easiest thing to see to besides the insert dash but there many more changes since 67. That includes many easy to spot on the frame. Correct engine would be a F135 for a 67 model. Could be either a column shift transmission or floor shift. Both were available. Biggest advantage of a 67 is the thickness of the metal. Running of a 8/80+ is superior to a 67.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom