What makes the Warn 8274 the best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FineWynsFJ40

Too much to do...
Threads
I just picked one up for a good price, but wonder what actually makes them so desirable, reliable, and why people are so convinced that it is the holy grail of winches?

That being said, I can't wait to clean it up and get it on the front of my truck!:D

Hi All:

The M8274 is strong, simple, reliable, and fast! :)

Regards,

Alan

Haha, I get that, and figure that to be true, but my question is why? Better quality or different design or what?

Haha, I get that, and figure that to be true, but my question is why? Better quality or different design or what?

I don't know that the quality is necessarily better than other winches (good ones) on the market, but the design is certainly solid. Big, stout spur gears...housed in a large case...with an oil bath lube system. Gear ratio...makes it a very fast winch. The drop in pulling power (per layer of cable) is much less than many winches.

Yes, you can get the electric motor hot...by running it too long without letting it cool...and the drum can heat up pretty good (friction from cable), but you'll never heat up the entire unit as with some designs.

If you've ever taken one apart....the first thing you'll notice is the simplicity of it all (no planetary gears, internal brakes, clutches, etc). Also, tolerances are "generous" to say the least...so short of packing it with sand....it will keep on running.

Make sure you keep all connections clean....and "exercise" your solenoid pack from time to time.

Their are more "efficient" designs out there now, but the venerable 8274 has a good reputation for a reason.

Funny thing is......even though it is Warn's most famous winch, they didn't design it.

They made improvements to it over the years...so they can rightfully claim those, but the basic design is that of a Bellview.

Anyway, its a hell of a winch IMO.

I had a 8274 almost 15 years ago and it was a great winch. I now have two XD9000I. As for the 8274 alot of people like it becuase it is a time proven design and still has the old school look as some TLC had 8274 installed as a dealer option. As for the 8274 being the Holy Grail of winches it is only that in the owners mind. Each type of winch has it's advantages and disadvantages. There is no super extraordinary feature that makes the 8274 so much better than any other winch. It is personal preference like compairing the venerable Colt 1911 to the newer Glocks, Sigs, and HK handguns.

I just picked one up for a good price, but wonder what actually makes them so desirable, reliable, and why people are so convinced that it is the holy grail of winches?

That being said, I can't wait to clean it up and get it on the front of my truck!:D

The first time that you get to really use your winch, you will understand.

Then the next time you are around some planetary winch and watch it work compared to the one on the front of you truck, you will understand.

Until then, everything is simply academic.

Then the next time you are around some planetary winch and watch it work compared to the one on the front of you truck, you will understand.

Best answer so far!

:clap:

You'll be waiting forever for the planetary winch to spool. Also, having 150ft of cable is nice for those times when you need to use a snatch block and/or when there is not a winch point nearby.

Get the best winch you can afford. You want your winch to work when you NEED it most.

The 8274 has a external brake system as well. This allow you to power out under load for extended time periods and not have the drum heat up. Most planatery gear winch systems have the brake inside the drum(there are some that do not, most of warn's are), which does not allow for extended periods of power out under load. If you do power out under load, not only will you heat up the drum(which can have adverse affects on synthetic rope), it will wear out the brake. Which means that it will not hold the drum when you need it the most(at least until you repair it). While this wearing will not happen quickly, it will happen when you least expect it.

8274 has superior spur gearing instead of panetary gearing. Compact but tall and very fast. Look cool.

The 8274 is probably the only winch that you can really actually modify, ie, twin motor, brake upgrade, freespool solenoid, pressurize the housing, easily cool the motor, lengthen the drum, modify the drum etc etc. The 8274 is the holy grail of winches for the competitions and for good reason.

I've owned and used low profile winches, they are compact and they can work well when new - but do not take the abuse the 8274 does - and they always won't work when you really need them.

The 8274 is probably the only winch that you can really actually modify, ie, twin motor, brake upgrade, freespool solenoid, pressurize the housing, easily cool the motor, lengthen the drum, modify the drum etc etc. The 8274 is the holy grail of winches for the competitions and for good reason.

I've owned and used low profile winches, they are compact and they can work well when new - but do not take the abuse the 8274 does - and they always won't work when you really need them.

... x2

I would not rate the 8274 as "the best." I would say that it's very good, and it's strong and fast, but certainly not the best winch.

~John

With the braking mechanism on the 8274 you can actually hold a static load - not so with other winches.

Hi John, Just curious as to what your opinion is a better type of winch? I'm always looking for better options.

Regards,

Louis

besides the strong and reliable factor of the winch...you also have the cool factor and it was an option on the cruisers as well :meh:
1980 pg7.jpg

With the braking mechanism on the 8274 you can actually hold a static load - not so with other winches.

Hi John, Just curious as to what your opinion is a better type of winch? I'm always looking for better options.

Regards,

Louis

x2.:)

With the braking mechanism on the 8274 you can actually hold a static load - not so with other winches..........

If you've got a winch that won't hold a static load - you better get it fixed or replaced. It's not much good on a hill if it won't. My 20+ yr old Ramsey does just fine - always has. The 8274 design is definitely better and stronger for long pulls, but there's others out there that work and work fine for occasional use.

If you've got a winch that won't hold a static load - you better get it fixed or replaced. It's not much good on a hill if it won't. My 20+ yr old Ramsey does just fine - always has. The 8274 design is definitely better and stronger for long pulls, but there's others out there that work and work fine for occasional use.

Yes you are right - I said it wrong, although most low profile winches are only meant to be used to basically pull itself - you shouldn't hook up to a low profile winch and use it as an anchor - if you understand what I am saying. Unlike the 8274 that has a mechanical brake.

It's the extended powering out under load, as powderpig in post #9 mentioned, that does in the planetary (internal brake) winches. The extra heat will eventually cause it to fail, as Robbie says, when you need it the most. But just "using it as an anchor" (If you're referring to holding a static load.) does it and your rig no harm, as long as the cable holds out.

Either of the Aisin / Toyota electric winches are better winches. Quiet, free spool far better (too well, actually), much better casings and operation in general. Better sealing of the housing and much smoother operation. Have overheat warnings... that Warn has fitted but clips the wires to.

The 8274 lacks in some pretty basic areas: the brake does not work well when spooling out under load, it chatters and shock loads the winch. It is noisy with the external brake and ratchet, the housings are not particularly strong, they are not sealed all that well against the elements and with age get water contamination. The free spool knob when not used often enough rusts into its housing and won't work. Pulling cable out the winch is inertia sensitive due to the brake - not a big deal, but new and hardly used winches the cable has quite a lot of load on it and can be slow to get off the drum. The brake is held on by a snap ring - very, very cheap - and I have seen these fail and the winch scatter parts all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I currently own three of these in 24V, but I don't think it's the best winch out there. Many of the upgrades that Gigglepin does addresses the shortcomings of this winch.

The other issue I have is that the price is totally outrageous (new retail price) when you factor in how simple this winch is.

~John

PS: The Aisin winches have short-comings as well, but the design is much more robust and elegant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom