What makes the Warn 8274 the best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see some of your points but have you ever priced a new Aisin upright winch? Ever bought parts for an aisin winch? If so how was pricing? I think I priced an upright aisin at about 4-6K - can't remember exactly. Don't forget that the aisin is basically a copy of the 8274 and as usual the Japanese made it better - but there are no after market upgrades and like I said the initial cost and cost to repair is prohibitive.

Yes the winch is loud and shock loads- seems to take it well, the giggle pin or DIY brake fix with the washer and bold takes care of the brake shaft problem - or buy a new stronger brake shaft - more money of course - you can spend about 10K on a warn 8274 with upgrades if you want to. I lubed my freespool knob 4 years ago with dielectric clear grease - the winch has been submerged many times and haven't had a problem, if you really abuse it you also need to maintain it. I've owned the aisin low profile and I did not like it - very loud and annoying.

I'll admit the price for a new 8274 is high, if you compare it to a low mount - but look at the low mounts today - I think even warn is having them made in china.

You forgot the s***ty solenoids on the 8274 - complete junk, that's why I use an albright waterproof solenoid. I guess it always boils down to opinions, out of the box the 8274 needs modifications in my opinion and that is not good, but at least they can modified. My 8274 is very slow ever since I cut the drum diameter to 1.5 inches, but.........it never stops even on a single line pull and you have seen my video of the 79 stuck up to the bumper in clay with 36's - the low profile 8000 warn would not have made that pull.

Did you buy the roll of synthetic????

Either of the Aisin / Toyota electric winches are better winches. Quiet, free spool far better (too well, actually), much better casings and operation in general. Better sealing of the housing and much smoother operation. Have overheat warnings... that Warn has fitted but clips the wires to.

The 8274 lacks in some pretty basic areas: the brake does not work well when spooling out under load, it chatters and shock loads the winch. It is noisy with the external brake and ratchet, the housings are not particularly strong, they are not sealed all that well against the elements and with age get water contamination. The free spool knob when not used often enough rusts into its housing and won't work. Pulling cable out the winch is inertia sensitive due to the brake - not a big deal, but new and hardly used winches the cable has quite a lot of load on it and can be slow to get off the drum. The brake is held on by a snap ring - very, very cheap - and I have seen these fail and the winch scatter parts all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I currently own three of these in 24V, but I don't think it's the best winch out there. Many of the upgrades that Gigglepin does addresses the shortcomings of this winch.

The other issue I have is that the price is totally outrageous (new retail price) when you factor in how simple this winch is.

~John

PS: The Aisin winches have short-comings as well, but the design is much more robust and elegant.

I know what the Aisin winches cost new, and it's not even close to reasonable. Parts I have bought for them, and they are not out of line and they are available.

We are talking about "better" and I am not factoring cost into the equation at this point. The Gigglepin offerings are really cool, but small production numbers mean very high prices (plus the British cost of things is high since it's an expensive place). Gigglepin seems to have addressed many of the Warn weaknesses.

The upright Aisin can be upgraded with a better / faster motor and the drum can be altered just like the 8274. The upright Aisin is a super little winch, with wet clutches (bathed in ATF) that don't chatter like the 8274. I haven't put the braking system to any major loads, but have done a few vehicle recovery pulls and lots of logging with this winch - nice unit, seems to work hard and keep on going.

I have had solenoid failures with the Warn and it smoked a motor in one case, and burned all the wires in my controller in the other case. They are okay, but not great.

~John

I see some of your points but have you ever priced a new Aisin upright winch? Ever bought parts for an aisin winch? If so how was pricing? I think I priced an upright aisin at about 4-6K - can't remember exactly. Don't forget that the aisin is basically a copy of the 8274 and as usual the Japanese made it better - but there are no after market upgrades and like I said the initial cost and cost to repair is prohibitive.

Yes the winch is loud and shock loads- seems to take it well, the giggle pin or DIY brake fix with the washer and bold takes care of the brake shaft problem - or buy a new stronger brake shaft - more money of course - you can spend about 10K on a warn 8274 with upgrades if you want to. I lubed my freespool knob 4 years ago with dielectric clear grease - the winch has been submerged many times and haven't had a problem, if you really abuse it you also need to maintain it. I've owned the aisin low profile and I did not like it - very loud and annoying.

I'll admit the price for a new 8274 is high, if you compare it to a low mount - but look at the low mounts today - I think even warn is having them made in china.

You forgot the s***ty solenoids on the 8274 - complete junk, that's why I use an albright waterproof solenoid. I guess it always boils down to opinions, out of the box the 8274 needs modifications in my opinion and that is not good, but at least they can modified. My 8274 is very slow ever since I cut the drum diameter to 1.5 inches, but.........it never stops even on a single line pull and you have seen my video of the 79 stuck up to the bumper in clay with 36's - the low profile 8000 warn would not have made that pull.

Did you buy the roll of synthetic????

We are talking about "better" and I am not factoring cost into the equation at this point. The Gigglepin offerings are really cool, but small production numbers mean very high prices (plus the British cost of things is high since it's an expensive place). Gigglepin seems to have addressed many of the Warn weaknesses.

Hey John, i have the same problem, because have a "big" difference the costs beetween Warn Products and Gigglpein Products in Europe.

Gigglepin Products rigth here in Europe (is more cheap to me) :grinpimp:

Warn Products in USA or China (is more expensive in Europe) :hillbilly:

Enjoy the summer! :beer: :cheers:

Hey John, i have the same problem, because have a "big" difference the costs beetween Warn Products and Gigglpein Products in Europe.

Gigglepin Products rigth here in Europe (is more cheap to me) :grinpimp:

Warn Products in USA or China (is more expensive in Europe) :hillbilly:

Enjoy the summer! :beer: :cheers:

Lulo! You buy for me and I buy for you!

I'd like the dual motors, I'd like a bit more line speed because when I cut the drum in half it cut the speed in half:( The brake conversion would be nice too:) Drilling a hole and threading it to replace the crappy c clip Jphn was talking about - might even pressurize the winch this summer. Like I have nothing better to do eh. Oh, maybe a solenoid operated freespool - definitely a remote control key chain and in cab switches. Oh -- and I will probably get a low profile to use for the back of my truck - although I always plan on going forward:)

QUOTE: RADD CRUISERS
"The upright Aisin can be upgraded with a better / faster motor and the drum can be altered just like the 8274. The upright Aisin is a super little winch, with wet clutches (bathed in ATF) that don't chatter like the 8274. I haven't put the braking system to any major loads, but have done a few vehicle recovery pulls and lots of logging with this winch - nice unit, seems to work hard and keep on going"

I HAVE AN AISIN UPRIGHT WINCH and think its great, when you talk about replacing the motor can you tell me with what motor to replace it? I'd love to make it faster and stronger....

I will concur that my planetary geared 1986 M12000 is slow and the brake will sometimes stick 'on' when spooling in under load which heats up the drum like a frying pan. I figured out now that it sounds different when the brake is stuck on so I just spool out for a second then resume spooling in and most times the brake frees up.

Good thread! :cheers:

A spur drive winch is much more efficient than planetary or worm drive. (65%... 45% and 35% respectively)

The 8274 is under rated by warn. it can honestly be compared to most (if not all) 10,000 pound electric winches. (This is from a Warn engineer and speaking of their own 10K winches too)

It is as expensive as it is because people showed that they were willing to pay that much. Wrn was planning on phasing it out a few years back and raised the price thinking that would steer customers to their other lines. They bumped the price three times and no affect on sales numbers... so they sunk money into upgrading the production line instead and kept the 8274. (This also from the same Warn engineer.)

Mark...

Sometimes the Warn 8274 is a little to fast for some winching situations.If you want to talk about the strongest winch in the light truck category, I put my money on the Ramsey Worm gear drive.

BS, if you actually owned one you KNOW why they are superior to all other winches.
:flipoff2:
There is no super extraordinary feature that makes the 8274 so much better than any other winch. It is personal preference like compairing the venerable Colt 1911 to the newer Glocks, Sigs, and HK handguns.

and the brand new warn 8274 IS made in China ...

take a close look the next time you take one out of the box.

i have owned the upright Asian winch, nice but not worth the 3X the price.

Sometimes the Warn 8274 is a little to fast for some winching situations.If you want to talk about the strongest winch in the light truck category, I put my money on the Ramsey Worm gear drive.

I have only wheeled with three guys who had the Ramsey worm drive 8000# winches. So I have only seen three attempts to extract a rig with this winch. And I have only seen of them burn up during said recovery attempts. ;)

Mark...

and the brand new warn 8274 IS made in China ...

take a close look the next time you take one out of the box.

i have owned the upright Asian winch, nice but not worth the 3X the price.

Interesting...I just received my 8274-50 (12/2010) and based on this post I looked at it closely.

The accessory parts packet containing the hook, hook lanyard and mounting bolts is marked: Country of Origin: China.

The Roller Fairlead and Controller have no Country of Origin stickers.

The 8274-50 has a serial number tag indicating WARN USA and the WARN manufacturing conformity card with serial number indicates: Country of Origin: USA.

Like most manufactures, it appears WARN has some of it's products/accessories made in China, but it appears the (this) 8274-50 is built in the USA. My only issue, is the build date is 05/2009, so this 8274-50 has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for close to two years before I got it...I'm just looking forward to putting it on.

Good luck...

Last edited:
It may not have any bearing on where they are made now, but when Warn decided to keep the 8274 in production, they sunk several hundred thousand dollars into upgrading the "production line" for this winch. The fact that it has little in common with any of their other winches played a part in the abandoned plans to discontinue it.

Mark...

8274 has superior spur gearing instead of panetary gearing. Compact but tall and very fast. Look cool.

Actually planetery gearing is far superior to spur gears , infact the spur gear is one of the oldest designs and weakest due to the fact only one tooth is in full contact at a time , spur gears have to be fairly large to manage large loads and ratio's under higher speeds there also noisy . Planeterys are compact offer 7 outcomes , light weight and distribute the load over several gears equally instead of a heavy thrust in one direction that actually forces the gears away from each other

Im not knocking the 8274 but i am saying planetery gear sets are superior to normal spur gears an yest most planeterys use spur gears inside them

Spur gears are significanctly more efficient than planetaries.

You can build the components strong enough to make up for any strength difference in the design, but you can't beef up efficiency.

Does anyone really care if their winch is noisy?

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom