What is the Best Cheapest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im askin this over in the 40/55 forum too.. but being we are 55 only I would like to ask it here too...

What is the best mod/upgrade you have done on your pig? Best bang for the buck? Cheapest or free?

For me it is:

(1) taking the 90degree angle zerk fittings off the tierod ends when going to a larger tire and replacing them with the shorter regular zerks.(free)
(2) Upgrading the stock ignition coil to an MSD Blaster 2. (35 bucks)
(3) Replacing headlamps with Sylvania Xtravisions (28 bucks)
(4) Dynamat Xtreme (ya it cost a bunch but works great.) (I am currently testing the PeelandSeal from Lowes)
(5) Reflectix (as you might remember I have only tried this recently for heat deflection and it works awesome) (20bucks)
(6) Anything I take apart using bolts/nuts gets antiseize (1 buck a tube)

Im sure there is more... just cant think of anything else right now.

Best bang for the buck so far.
(1)Buying the pig $1
(2)Welded rear free with a little reading on mud

Ive worked metallurgy as part of my job. Mostly soldering, brazing with different metals, etc. Worked electronics down to component level both miniature and microminiature. But I have never really taken the time to learn how to properly weld. My job never required me to learn welding. I did how ever want to learn for my own use. I have done what I call farm welding. You know when part of the gate it busted and you just tack the darn thing back together. How hard was it for you to learn? Oh and what would be a good welder to start with? Wire feed...

Opening up the spring clamps on the spring pack for more flex...FREE
Uprgading to later style 2F ignition/coil...can be had for cheap if used
Rain-X for windows...not really a mod...but awesome for Anemic LC window wipers

Minipig I learned to weld in HS took a few ag classes. Also have taken Sculpture here in college so did some more then. Learning wasnt to hard especially if you have someone that knows how and is willing to give you a little of their time. A 6 pack might help you get that time. Mostly its just practice though.

Today I bought another 25' roll of Peel and Seal. I am going to use it in the front and rear doors. Think I paided 12 bucks for the roll at Lowes.

For me, making door panels helped a lot. My pig didn't have any when I got it, and they cost about $5 each to make. The 4spd tranny swap, instead of my old 3sp, was very worth the money.

And minipig, don't be intimidated by welding. I'm a biochemist(not many biochemists weld) and wanted to learn welding, but didn't have the time for taking a class. So I pulled out $700, bought a mig welder, and 4 or 5 months later, I can weld pretty good and have a good idea now of what makes a strong weld. Of course a book or two helps, as does experience. Your first welds will look like cheeseburgers. It is great to start on simple projects like plant stands for outside, or a welding table. Still having a hard time with overhead welding, something about molten metal falling on you I guess.

I was reading up on some ooold threads and found this, does anyone have any cheap ideas to add?

A new dash cap and shift knob made my tired dash are look brand new. I notice it every time I drive my cruiser.

white crayon on the knobs so they stick out. clean the interior (floormat, seat, side panels, sunvisors, etc) with westley's bleach white and a scrub brush. led bulbs in the dome light, headlight switch, dash light and cluster.

Wow... I just noticed this thread was re-opened. :)

PEEL N SEAL- I need to update this information. If you clean the surfaces first with something like acetone... then it will stick much better. Annnd this stuff would only be best used in a mild climate. No to hot and not to cold. As soon as it hit over 90F it became soft and wanted to peel off. When it hit over 100F the adhesive melted leaving behind an aluminum strip with some tar still on it. When winter hit and it froze the other panels that were still intact fell off. Soooo I would like to say that I wish I had more information prior to using this stuff and posting it on the boards. Ive used it a few times but as soon as I hit some real heat and cold it did not stand up.. im a mild year around climate I think it might do ok.

As for another cheapo idea... I went a little more drastic then what you would need on your average pig... but I also didnt need most of the wiring in the wiring harness. I pulled the wiring harness, cut out all the wiring I did not need, simplified some other parts by cutting out redundant grounds and power wires. Then rerouted some of the cable to make for more room behind the dash.
It made so much more space behind the dash and my lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc.. all worked so much better and brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom