What if I stick a wire down the sun roof drain hole? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a wet floor problem. I have a new windshield the PO had installed. Based on a Search of the archives, improper install on a replacement windshield is one possible cause. Another possible cause is problems with the sun roof drains.

In spite of an archive search, I don’t really understand how the drain system is supposed to work properly, or where common disconnects with the drain system are located

If I try and trace the drain lines with a soft piece of piano wire, is that a reasonable way to locate & follow the drain lines ?

Where would I find common disconnects in the plumbing ?

You can test the plug by pouring some water in the sunroof channel with the sunroof open. You can see it dripping underneath the truck. It takes a few seconds for it to drain. If not, I think you’ll need something stronger to “fish” the line. I used weed whip line. Feed it slow to start for the first 6 or 8 inches so you don’t accidentally push the drain tube off the drain hole.

So the common disconnect in the system, is the connection to the floor pops off somehow ?

Since the PO had the windshield replaced I'd start there first. If the windshield isn't installed correctly it can leak. The best gasket to use when replacing your windshield is a factory Toyota one, plus the FSM states that a sealant needs to be used when installing the windshield. Many aftermarket glass installers are not aware that a sealant is required along with a new gasket, they skip using the sealant, leading to the possibly of leaks.

Reactions: RFB
The only real way to properly access those drain tubes for inspection is to drop the headliner at the A Pillars. But yea also don't write off the windshield gasket. It should be OEM and the sealant needs to be applied in a very specific way as described in the FSM. I fished my drains with weed wacker strings just last week as I have had moisture seeping through near my rearview mirror. I just replaced my cracked sunroof glass, hoping that solves the issue, cause I really don't want to get into dropping an early headliner.

Sunroof drains are connected in 4 corners of sunroof and the hose can be pushed off fittings if you try and use to much pressure to clean out.

Front ones go down the a pillar, Rear go back and down by the second row seatbelt if i remember and out the quarterpannel

Where does the drain come out? My rocker panels fill up with water.
Into the rockers. There are small slits in the rocker, Take a flat ziptie to try and clear them out. They are pretty small and hard to see.

Into the rockers. There are small slits in the rocker, Take a flat ziptie to try and clear them out. They are pretty small and hard to see.
That, and/or there are a couple of rubber plugs you can remove.

Weedwacker string may be safer. The drain hoses for the front drains dump into the rocker panels then trickles out from the slit drains located at the pinch welld on the bottom of the rocker panels.

The string will not come out anywhere if pushed down the drain holes, it will
bottom out inside the rocker panels.

Do not get really aggressive, you don't want to push the drain hoses off their nipples. Drain hoses for the rear drain directly out on the ground from the inner aspect of the lower quarter panels.

IME the leak is more likely from a poor windshield installation. You can check
it using a garden hose and a strong flashlight; start at one corner of the windshield, then look for water drips under the dash or behind the kickpanels, then move to another corner of the windshield, etc,etc.

A missing or torn vapor barrier behind the door cards can also lead to a wet floor.

Since I wasn’t around for the windshield work, I’m not really in a position to throw a fit, and have the installer redo properly. But I can lay on the floor, while the outside is hosed, and at least confirm one way or another, if that is where the water is coming from. I was hoping if it was the sunroof drains, it would be something I could fix myself

I have noticed, after a rain, when I back down the hill of my driveway, there are water trails as the rig tilts at different angles. So that would indicate, I might need to clean out the drains in the pinch weld.

Thanks all for the input

That's the sign of rockers being full of water. You might even hear water sloshing around too.
I've bought weedwacky line before from home cheapo and the the thickest stuff was a real pain to fish all the way through. It was not really stiff enough.
As mentioned pouring water from a cup or such down each of the four drain holes and waiting for water to drain will give and indication of them being clear and at least mostly connected.
I added simple green to the water too hoping it would clean em out some.
I've also used the the air gun to blow them out before. Too risky though if its really clogged.

I've also used the the air gun to blow them out before.
Just a word of caution, using an air gun to clear those drains can turn what would be a simply drain cleaning project via a weed wacker line. Into a dropping the headliner project to reattach the sun roof drain lines, even with a one piece headliner, that's not a job I'd be looking forward to doing anytime soon. In my case my truck has the older fabric and bow type headliner which would make removal of the headliner an even more unpleasant task.

After gently pouring water from a container into every possible area that might leak onto the front floor areas, all drains worked fine. Then hosing the same areas it all seemed leak proof. Then I sprayed the windshield gasket edges and found both lower corners leaked. The windshield was replaced 14 months ago, using a new OEM gasket. I guess its another trip to the glass place to see what they can do.

I would take an OEM gasket and a copy of the relevant pages out of the FSM with you. I reviewed the FSM pages with the Safelite guys and to their credit, their installation procedures more or less matched. They were also kind enough to treat a small rust area before reinstalling the gasket and windshield.

At least you know what the problem is and it's very solvable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom