For those who have had the OEM roof rack holes welded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to get my roof rack deleted as it appears to be a source of water leakage. With my luck there will likely be rust on the roof. I'm planning ahead with a fabricator to weld the holes shut and weld in new sheet metal as necessary. This is a 1996 so headliner removal shouldn't be awful. Did anyone have to remove the sunroof assembly to prevent damage to it during welding? More so for the front holes, I don't see any risk of interference with the rear holes.

My sunroof was removed when welding in sheet metal for the front roof rack holes. It was years ago but IIRC the rear portion of the assembly was in the way.

Found this pic. Kinda shows how close it is
1708267965284.png

@tmxmotorsports : got details on the process used for welding up the holes?

Welding

I removed mine and filled the holes with fiberglass impregnated Bondo.
I did not have to remove the headliner, and I didn’t burn the paint off the inside of the roof, so no paint was needed on the inside.
When I removed my flares in 2015 I filled the holes using same method not one has pop loose.
Using a small, sharp cold chisel, holding it at a 45° to the roof lightly hit it. This will cause a slight dimple and a little Nick in the hole. I did this in four places in each hole giving the bondo something to bite onto.

Last edited:
I used one of these:

1708298288024.png

It has a copper pad, which weld does not stick to. Set it up underneath, where the copper pad covers the hole. Then weld above and smooth flat.

I used a kit from Eastwood that came with pre made circles and a step drill bit then tacked the circles in place all around and ground spot welds down with air grinder with various grit pads took m6 time not to take much material from roof. Then used automotive primer scuffed it down cleaned it then another coat of primer. Owner will be taking it in to a paint shop for respray on the roof I don't claim to be a paint guy but can do sheet metal work..
I would share pictures but have a different phone than what I had when doing this process. I think I posted some pictures on my ig page. My page is private but if you have ig and want to check it out you can send me a follow request to tmx_motrsports.
Tommy

I do have 2 Wits End roof rack elimination kits I'd be willing to part with if you didn't want to get them welded and painted so soon.
If the rust isn't bad or no rust this is a great option. The company that actually makes those elimination kit still makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom