What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This gonna seem like I’m being overly frugal, but how does this clutch look-View attachment 2490309View attachment 2490310
The friction plate looks good to my eye. I’m debating if I can reuse this for my lm7. The clutch has maybe 8k miles on it and I’d like reuse it on my sm465. I have new flywheel for back of the lm7, but I’d like save some money on the clutch.
Is it flat? If you put a straight edge on it, radially, then can you see light under it? Try a feeler gauge under the straight edge, but I imagine that the thinnest feeler isn't going to find anything. 8K is nothing for age.
Usually, there are specs for the thickness of the friction plate, thickness and depth of rivet head.

Resurfacing a flywheel reduces heat generated. Heat causes glazing and warping (surface hardening), which in turn causes more slipping, and more heat and subsequent cracking. A frequent flywheel resurfacing (maybe two digits in expenditure) would be proactive, preventative maintenance, reducing cracking and glazing. But the pressure plate and friction disc are most often, simply, replaced when needed. You will find discussion about catastrophic flywheel failure, but, I don't know if the same is true for the pressure plate. If I was winging it, I'd professionally resurface the flywheel, and random orbit sand the pressure plate at home - but, also, I never recommend others to just, 'wing it.'

Went wheeling on Saturday with a local group.

Finely put the correct oil cap on, thanks to @ToyotaMatt.
A3FDF330-1A25-4CB5-94F7-FAF78735BD5F.jpeg

Went wheeling on Saturday with a local group.

It always seems the newer vehicles suffer more carnage than our old 40’s. Hearing all the metal grind on the 200 will make anyone cringe 😬

It always seems the newer vehicles suffer more carnage than our old 40’s. Hearing all the metal grind on the 200 will make anyone cringe 😬

It seems so. Not much on a the bottom of a 40 to hurt if you have a skid plate. He was looking for an excuse for a new rear bumper anyways.

ordered a Dirt Road troll hole soft top in stay fast with zip off windows and real steel bows. can't wait to get them on and then will start the hardtop restoration.
Please provide photos before/during/after..I plan on doing the same next year

I went to take my little girls for a ride and immediately noticed a very stiff brake pedal. I had to practically stand on it to get the vehicle to stop in my driveway. So I watched a bunch of YouTubes and did all the diagnostics and am about 99.9% sure it's a bad brake booster. And no one carries them anymore. Do any of you have a suggestion on a proper replacement? I appreciate any help I can get.

I went to take my little girls for a ride and immediately noticed a very stiff brake pedal. I had to practically stand on it to get the vehicle to stop in my driveway. So I watched a bunch of YouTubes and did all the diagnostics and am about 99.9% sure it's a bad brake booster. And no one carries them anymore. Do any of you have a suggestion on a proper replacement? I appreciate any help I can get.

I went with a City Racer unit, very pleased. But very difficult getting the rod clearance correct, once setup properly(my mechanic Eric) it works awesome.

With an H42, there is no second gear on brutal washboard. You either creep, or fly over it.

Took some time this afternoon, and visited the local batholith.
IMG_8905.JPG

It is deep and narrow here, so the November shadow really creates a sense of place. The rocks at the top are stacked in such a way that there are cavities, many of which are explore-able. It is an other world up there.
IMG_8930.JPG

Just to put it in scale, about two-thirds up on that wall is a rock climber in light clothing.
IMG_8913.JPG

Awesome, cold sunny day and a hot thermos.
IMG_8974.JPG

The perfect time of year to be down here. I'm thinking an evening camp with all the provisions, fire and propane stove, and pack out after dark to sleep on a real matress.
IMG_8916.JPG

Then I took a quick side-trip. Uncharted, by all means other than doing it in person. This is where I segue.
IMG_8982.JPG

Awesome, after a dead end road with the truck in four-low. I find a new track, and a perfect secluded campsite, with a perfect view - which is kinda a contradiction for so close to civilization.
IMG_8989.JPG

I'll have to come here in the middle of winter just to see the lights from the snow groomers, like twenty miles away. That, and coyotes love arroyos. Every evening you get a good chance to hear what you can, most often, not see.
IMG_8988.JPG

Not bad for a rotted rear sill.

Beautiful autumn day in central KS... Perfect day to finally replace the rear transfer case and pinion seals. Also replaced the parking brake shoes. And since I had the drive shaft off, went ahead and replaced the u-joints (they were a bugger to press out!). Gave everything a quick shot of paint prior to reinstalling. Topped off the transfer case and rear diff with amsoil 80w-90. Drove like a champ after everything was done... and the best part, no drips so far on the garage floor!!🤞

Took her out on the hwy over the weekend and thought I noticed a vibration from the driveshaft. Since I have a CCOT lift and 33” tires, I’ve always assumed a little vibration was normal (and the PO told me that it had always driven that way as long as he had owned it). For peace of mind I pulled the drive shaft and dropped it off at my local driveline shop Monday. Picked it up today and they told me that not only was it way out of balance, but it was also slightly bent. They straightened it and spot welded on a couple of strategically placed weights and said it then spun true (not sure how they straightened it).

Gave it a fresh coat of POR15 tonight and will get it reinstalled after work tomorrow. I’m eager to see how she drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom