What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For better or worse, it's in my grubby hands. Going to keep expectations low. I want to be able to read Gaia with more fidelity when off-road!

Gasp** But its not OEM!!! 😛
Is the sky falling?

I put 4,800 miles on her driving from CLT to CO and back on a hunting trip ... OK, it was actually 1,898 miles over 2.5 days out ... 0 miles over 3.5 days ... and 1,865 miles over two days back ...

A pic from a fuel stop in Colby, KS .... lots of flat relatively straight sections of I-70 ...View attachment 942782

A shot coming down into the clouds out of the Snowy Range in WY 130 towards Centennial, WYView attachment 942783
You've been hauling if your average was 74.1mph. Hope your hunt was successful.

Yesterday, applied Aerospace 303 to all the plastic and noticed that I was missing a middle section of the rubber drip rail moulding on the roof so ordered that. Looking for more highbeam light than the stock headlamps which are a disappointment compared to the ones I had on my Land Rover. Thinking seriously about a lower grill insert combined flood/driving lightbar.

Gasp** But its not OEM!!! 😛
Is the sky falling?

Oh man, do you know it. That's why I'm keeping my expectations low.

Pulled the running boards, easy peasy!

received_1845562849148455.jpeg

20230328_165809.jpg

Took a step back down from the OME 2724 springs to the OME 2723 and added Airbag Man HP5051 kit.

View attachment 3281017

Also removed my Gamiviti roof rack and replaced it with a factory rack.
Do you plan to part with the Gamiviti?? I have one on my 100 series and I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for the 200. You know, for the sake of symmetry.

Stock amp? If not, what are you driving that with?
Stock amp. speaker doesn't buy much but I had the panel off anyways. Same impedance and similar efficiency to stock, so just a higher quality part.

Stock amp. speaker doesn't buy much but I had the panel off anyways. Same impedance and similar efficiency to stock, so just a higher quality part.
Don't want to be a party pooper, but the posted efficiency seems to be optimistic. This speaker was reviewed on "Erin's Audio Corner" where he uses a Klippel to measure drivers.

Here are his results: (TLDR - 91db advertised vs 86db measured)

Frequency Response:

• Since this is designed as a woofer and not a midrange/woofer, the average sensitivity is calculated from 40Hz to 300Hz rather than my usual 300Hz - 1kHz. From 40-300Hz the average sensitivity is 80.1dB at 2.83v/1 meter at 4-ohm. At 1-ohm nominal the sensitivity is raised about 6dB to an average of 86.1dB at 2.83v/1 meter.
  • On-axis response linearity is not reasonably within ±1.5dB thanks to the resonance at ~80Hz.
  • On-axis response linearity is ±3.0dB from 32Hz to 300Hz.
  • There is a 5dB drop in output from 100Hz to 300Hz.
  • Upper frequency response is limited to 500Hz where a strong resonance occurs. But, again, this drive unit is not intended to be played above 300Hz per the manufacturer. This data simply points to agreeance with that and a cautionary tale should someone wonder if they can push the upper end limit above the 300Hz recommendation.

Although, possibly being able to get the 1 ohm load and fit the enclosure may make it best aftermarket option anyways.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but the posted efficiency seems to be optimistic. This speaker was reviewed on "Erin's Audio Corner" where he uses a Klippel to measure drivers.

Frequency Response:

• Since this is designed as a woofer and not a midrange/woofer, the average sensitivity is calculated from 40Hz to 300Hz rather than my usual 300Hz - 1kHz. From 40-300Hz the average sensitivity is 80.1dB at 2.83v/1 meter at 4-ohm. At 1-ohm nominal the sensitivity is raised about 6dB to an average of 86.1dB at 2.83v/1 meter.
  • On-axis response linearity is not reasonably within ±1.5dB thanks to the resonance at ~80Hz.
  • Upper frequency response is limited to 500Hz where a strong resonance occurs. But, again, this drive unit is not intended to be played above 300Hz per the manufacturer. This data simply points to agreeance with that and a cautionary tale should someone wonder if they can push the upper end limit above the 300Hz recommendation.

Although, possibly being able to get the 1 ohm load and fit the enclosure may make it best aftermarket option anyways.
So this begs the question what does the OEM speaker produce and for how many minutes before the paper cone disintegrates into distorted mush.

Frequency Response:

Measurements (freq. response) have relatively little influence on tonality and musical performance.

This is actually a positive here. ^

And both these points are irrelevant

Last edited:
Measurements (freq. response) have relatively little influence on tonality and musical performance.

This is actually a positive here. ^

And both these points are irrelevant

There is quite a bit of data and research out there that suggests otherwise about measuring of speakers and determining overall performance, but to each their own...The audio reproduction industry in general has functioned on false narratives and snake oil for decades, so this probably isn't the best venue for that discussion.

I was really only speaking to the discrepancy in efficiency since one of the OPs goals was replicating the efficiency of the OEM speaker. I agree for a car audio sub, the other factors listed are not meaningful faults. But, also, I don't think the listing was ever intended to be a "list of faults" as much as a description of the characteristics of the speaker. To be fair though, the reviewer did have an overall negative review of the driver, at least relative to some much more expensive drivers that also don't fit the OPs size requirements, so his overall analysis doesn't really apply to this situation.

There is quite a bit of data and research out there that suggests otherwise about measuring of speakers and determining overall performance, but to each their own...The audio reproduction industry in general has functioned on false narratives and snake oil for decades, so this probably isn't the best venue for that discussion.

I was really only speaking to the discrepancy in efficiency since one of the OPs goals was replicating the efficiency of the OEM speaker. I agree for a car audio sub, the other factors listed are not meaningful faults. But, also, I don't think the listing was ever intended to be a "list of faults" as much as a description of the characteristics of the speaker. To be fair though, the reviewer did have an overall negative review of the driver, at least relative to some much more expensive drivers that also don't fit the OPs size requirements, so his overall analysis doesn't really apply to this situation.
Speakers are like spouses: What is a good spouse for one is not good for another. I have been asked by friends, family and such what do I consider the best speaker. (I am one of those idiots that spent entirely too much on my home system) I always tell them that the best speaker is the one that sounds the best to them. The only time I have given any attention to speaker efficiency is to make sure my amp can drive them without going into clipping. Lower impedance requires more current. Also, impedance is frequency dependent.

Hit a deer on the way to work this morning.

Dang! No injuries I hope?

Gotta give the obligatory cheer up, new bumper fairy just came.

New tires!!!
(5) - Michelin Defender LTX M/S 285/60R18 120H XL SKU: Michelin 46009
(5) - FITTING KIT, TIRE 04423-330
(5) - VALVE SUB-ASSY, TIRE 42607-48010

They're very quiet*, at least they're as quiet as the OEM tires and very smooth and stable.

*of course with the roof rack and awning I'm not sure I could really hear the tires anyway!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom