What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (102 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front bumper and heavy springs. The heavy springs actually ride pretty well, it doesn’t feel super stiff. I think it might be time for a different drop.

EC4592E9-FF40-424B-AF08-A483818464F8.jpeg

What sort of trimming did you need to do to fit 285/70/18s? Looks like mudflaps are still there.
I took the front splash guard on the fender liner off then did a little reshaping with a heat gun. That was with the stock bumper. There is a ton of clearance with the Ironman bumper now.

I took the front splash guard on the fender liner off then did a little reshaping with a heat gun. That was with the stock bumper. There is a ton of clearance with the Ironman bumper now.
Did you run them without a lift at all?

Sheared off not one, but TWO breaker bars trying to do the first tire rotation after prior dealership service. Granted, one was a 3/8, but the other was a 1/2.

97ft/lbs? Never heard of her.

Caution. Others with more engineering insight might be able to offer additional details. Over torqueing can stretch the studs and lead to failure and potentially wheel separation. I had a wheel sheer off once, 68 GTO downtown Seattle. Not fun, thankfully it was low speeds. Unusual the way I drove that car.

I use a very light coat of anti-seize on the threads, but that is another can of worms regarding torque specs.

Did you run them without a lift at all?
I didn’t, they would’ve rubbed way too much. The only rub I have is at full lock the tire sometimes touches the driver side KDSS arm, but the spot is about the size of a quarter so it isn’t a deal breaker.

• bought it
  • washed it
  • cleaned the leather
  • took out 4 dings with my PDR kit
  • added Caddy train horns
  • new wipers all around
  • repaired the HVAC blower motor
  • repaired the recirc door
  • repaired floor mat hook
  • made the center console lid noise-free
  • painted grill and all emblems (bye bye gold!)
  • added cool box storage tray
  • air filter
  • cabin filter
  • painted the shift knob and console trim to cover up scratches
  • replaced battery in smart key
  • refurbished the headlights and fog lights with the Sylvania kit
  • buffed out some scratches
  • replaced a mismatched lug nut
  • cleaned the battery terminals
  • inspected radiator and serpentine belt
  • added phone mount
  • bought lots more maintenance parts (coolant, spark plugs, heater hose tees, diff fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, PS fluid, PCV, polish)
  • spent untold hours researching lifts, tires, and wheels
  • blocked out my calendar for the next 6 weekends to give this thing some more TLC
HD- what type of trailer is that? Does it fit in a garage?

Did you
Went out to Red Rock Canyon to drive the loop and decided to take an adventure onto Rocky Gap Road. Had some concerns about the Michelin tires and sharp rocks but they held their own
Did you make it all the way through?

Test fitting these bad boys...

PXL_20201212_223453676.jpg

Did you make it all the way through?

No, it was getting late and I only have limited recovery equipment so we turned around at the wash.
I haven't done that trail in 15 years and that was in a built 2003 Rubicon coming the other way so didn't know how bad it has gotten.
Maybe once I get bigger and better tires I will try it again.

Did some exploring of the southern parts of Tonto National Forest. Pretty amazing trails back in there. Made out way back into the brush to find some ruins as well. All worth the pin striping that came with it.

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

looks great, Are those the 35x10.5x17? did you get them installed ? Curious how they work out.

I’ve been happy with my kendas.
I'm not sure if these are going to work out or not. The skinny look doesn't really appeal to me so these are the 35x12.50r17s. These run a little larger as far as 35s go. Tolerances are really tight to begin with with 35s and the slightly extra diameter and width of these Kendas are proving to have a big impact on clearances. Also I'm stuck with one offset (+25) and can't really adjust that with spacers. I might decide these might take more effort than I'm willing to put in. Alternatively, I may end up going with 315s on rock warriors instead. Rock warriors would allow me some possible adjustability in the offset by using different sized spacers.

Initially these don't look too bad as far as fitment goes. There's no rubbing in normal height under static conditions but the clearances are tight. I still need to do the pinch weld mod. I did the BMC a while ago but I didn't chop enough so I'll have to redo it. The tires barely clear the UCA with about a half an inch of space. I'm sure there will be slight rubbing there under driving conditions.

Where are you going to put the spare?
I plan on going with slightly smaller tires that will fit in the stock spare location like @TeCKis300 did. I may even just use one of my existing 34s for a while as a spare.

@supercarrera Just looked up the spec's on the Kenda's @ 34.76" x 12.90". Versus my AT IIIs 34.5" x 12.5". What's a bit in the gray area is how aggressive the dimensions are at the tread, and I would think the Kenda RTs are going to be quite a bit more aggressive than the spec differences imply.

As you mentioned, compared to my setup that's @35mm offset, you're working with +10mm more offset (~0.4"). That combined with the wider tire specs makes your outer tire sidewall about .6" more prominent. Knowing how tight and close everything is in my setup, it's going to take a bit more work.

Your suspicions on additional clearancing at the BMC, pinch, and more plastics are very likely needed. Adding to your list, watch the upper fender lip as I don't think the tread will clear there.

Couple additional strategies you may need
- UCA to buy precious clearance against body mount and tire turned at full stuff
- Body lift - I think you'll need a .5" lift to make things work. Or possibly rolling the fender but that may not solve things at the mud flap pinch weld

Here's what fingernails clearance looks like at the top of the front fenderwell in my setup
1607978661805.png

I'm not sure if these are going to work out or not. The skinny look doesn't really appeal to me so these are the 35x12.50r17s. These run a little larger as far as 35s go. Tolerances are really tight to begin with with 35s and the slightly extra diameter and width of these Kendas are proving to have a big impact on clearances. Also I'm stuck with one offset (+25) and can't really adjust that with spacers. I might decide these might take more effort than I'm willing to put in. Alternatively, I may end up going with 315s on rock warriors instead. Rock warriors would allow me some possible adjustability in the offset by using different sized spacers.

Initially these don't look too bad as far as fitment goes. There's no rubbing in normal height under static conditions but the clearances are tight. I still need to do the pinch weld mod. I did the BMC a while ago but I didn't chop enough so I'll have to redo it. The tires barely clear the UCA with about a half an inch of space. I'm sure there will be slight rubbing there under driving conditions.

I plan on going with slightly smaller tires that will fit in the stock spare location like @TeCKis300 did. I may even just use one of my existing 34s for a while as a spare.
Got to give you credit for trying to make it work. That is one big tire. My experience with kendas is also that they run large. My Lt275/70r18 are measured at 33.43 x 11.22 inches. This is the tallest and widest I’ve seen in this size. Anything bigger and I’d be majorly rubbing both the driver and passenger side KDSS sway bars on my LC. I have my eye on their 35”s but I don’t see how it would clear the KDSS even worth the optimal offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom