What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love that rack! I am trying to figure out if that would work with my idea of occasionally mounting Thule crossbars on that. The Rhino accessory bars are not long enough for my application. I think I can mount the Thule bars on the Rhino but need to know overall height after. So I have a request.. Can you measure the height from the top of the cruiser to top of rack. If you measure at the center that would give me an idea. Thanks!
FYI, Frontrunner makes a set of adapters to mount Thule crossbars.

FYI, Frontrunner makes a set of adapters to mount Thule crossbars.

Thank you! That could be an option. My thought was using my existing bars and feet. The bars need to be wider than the rack. The feet have a ratcheting quick strap that wrap around the factory rail. If I do get a platform type rack I would typically not have the bars installed unless mounting a space case or the kayak rack. So I want to be able to mount & remove the bars easily. I may have to add the side rail option to the Rhino rack to mount the Thule feet. But then the whole thing gets higher. Always something to consider! Not sure how easy those Frontrunner adapters would be to remove. I’ll check it out more. But I am intrigued having all that flat real estate up top!

Took it on a turkey hunting mission in Northern Az.

6B90FFCC-20FD-4299-A03E-A0AD7C7599A9.jpeg

Got some recovery points for the front of the LX.

Roadsafe RPCRU200v3's, did a test fit up at the shop to make sure they were low enough and seem like they'll be fine with the deeper front bar.. if the angle gets too extreme I'm guessing I've got bigger issues that a bit of bar damage (has some anyway on the sides so no loss).

Will fit them later this week when I get a chance.

Fgnk36x.jpg

Thank you! That could be an option. My thought was using my existing bars and feet. The bars need to be wider than the rack. The feet have a ratcheting quick strap that wrap around the factory rail. If I do get a platform type rack I would typically not have the bars installed unless mounting a space case or the kayak rack. So I want to be able to mount & remove the bars easily. I may have to add the side rail option to the Rhino rack to mount the Thule feet. But then the whole thing gets higher. Always something to consider! Not sure how easy those Frontrunner adapters would be to remove. I’ll check it out more. But I am intrigued having all that flat real estate up top!

I was in a similar position...I needed the ability to get my LC into the garage, but also wanted an easy way to get our tandem kayak on the roof using our Thule Hullavator.

My first attempt was to use the FR adapter plates with Thule crossbars. That fit into the garage just fine, however, the Hullavator has mounting plates that stay attached to each crossbar, and the combined height was too tall.

The solution was to mount Yakima Landing Pads on the side rails of my FR rack. Yakima crossbars easily snap in and out of the Landing Pads, so I throw the crossbars on when we’re planning to kayak, and remove them when we get home. Plenty of clearance between the top of the Landing Pads and my garage entry.

0975ED42-AA66-461F-8388-7F56E6CB6D04.jpeg
C2D9EF90-3E05-4EE5-9761-E16641F6DB2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Got some recovery points for the front of the LX.

Roadsafe RPCRU200v3's, did a test fit up at the shop to make sure they were low enough and seem like they'll be fine with the deeper front bar.. if the angle gets too extreme I'm guessing I've got bigger issues that a bit of bar damage (has some anyway on the sides so no loss).

Will fit them later this week when I get a chance.

Fgnk36x.jpg

Those are beefy. Is it worth making the sacrificial component the vehicle frame itself though??

I like that! I also used RAM components to mount my Garmin Overlander GPS unit on the grab handle:

Overlander2_17DEC19_zpscbdx4ppj.jpg

Overlander1_17DEC19_zpsey4ibk19.jpg

Built-in Pitch and Roll, all the high end turn-by-turn nav directions of a dedicated drive GPS, built-in TOPO maps, ability to download other maps, lifetime free map updates, etc., etc.

Pitch and Roll FTW:

Overlander3_17DEC19_zpsbdgezwc5.jpg

HTH
Your installation is quite compact - I really like that. Would you post your RAM mount parts list?

EDIT: after some sleuthing on RAM's website it looks like one of the components is a RAM Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm RAP-B-200-2U. But I still can't tell what you used for the threaded ball and the rear mount to your Garmin. :)

Last edited:
Your installation is quite compact - I really like that. Would you post your RAM mount parts list?

EDIT: after some sleuthing on RAM's website it looks like one of the components is a RAM Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm RAP-B-200-2U. But I still can't tell what you used for the threaded ball and the rear mount to your Garmin. :)

The two main parts are the Ball Mount that attaches to the lower bolt on the handle (Ball for handle) and the double socket swivel arm (Swivel arm).

You will need to locally source a bolt and some spacers for the ball to replace the bolt you remove from the handle and to bring the ball out to a workable height. You will also need a suitable ball mount for the back of whatever device you are using.

HTH

Just received my Slee slider steps - looking forward to installing these on Saturday! I've never seen anything packaged so well. The foam not only conforms around the pieces, but also sticks everything in place to the bottom of the box. Took a good bit of leverage to pull the sliders out.

20201007_165140.jpg

20201007_165508.jpg

20201007_165754.jpg

20201007_170806.jpg

Those are beefy. Is it worth making the sacrificial component the vehicle frame itself though??

Good question, they've done a fair bit of testing with them and all the other ones I could find here in Aus were similarly rated but for other vehicles. The Ironman 4x4 points that the stockist also can get (but was out of stock) are also rated for 5000kg so would have the same beefiness to them.

The install went smooth and the only change I'd need to make would be to maybe trim the plastics a smidge as they're touching the rear of the point. Low enough for the front bar for most situations in my view (limited as my experience is) and subtle enough.

Test fit up, took it off and then chucked the space in for the bolts afterwards.
C0CQ7Ts.jpg

side on, sits up nicely but still accessable enough
rzzjudt.jpg

Front on
4zqcumB.jpg

and both installed now.. mate did say I should spray them black but I'm that kind of **** who used to run the white letters on the outside of my tyres on my classic car for fun.. so a bit of colour doesnt hurt.. not like it'll stay yellow long.
IuoMQCo.jpg

What’s the suspension and tire setup!?

From the prior owner's listing:

• OME BP-51 Lift – Currently Mounted 2722 Rear Coils. I also have stiffer 2723s
  • BFG KO2 305/65/18 (x4) (original mounted in the spare location, but the larger KO2 will fit)
  • Slee LX570 Sliders w/ LC200 Hardware Kit
  • Slee UCAs
  • Trail Tailor KDSS Relocation Brackets
  • Rigid Rock Lights
  • Rigid Diffused D-Series Rear Lights w/ Retro Design Custom Brackets
  • Switch Pro 9100 w/ Retro Designs Custom Mount
  • ARB Dual Compressor w/ Manifold and Air Kit – Slee Mount
  • Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
  • Blue Ridge Outfitters Attic

Last weekend a friend and I went to Rausch Creek for the first time. He has a 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road. Both are stock with mild AT tires, both have KDSS, but he has a rear locker. It was pretty interesting to see the different lines and driving styles required - I definitely had to pay more attention to my size and weight going through the tighter stuff in the woods.

We stuck to green trails on the main property but a few got pretty technical for being "easy" trails. Does anyone have experience running the trails there in stock form? We had a manual transmission, turbo, open-diffs Taco join us while we were there but otherwise we were surrounded by dozens of medium to heavily modified Jeeps.

IMG_20201003_165243.jpg

IMG_20201003_183202.jpg
IMG_20201003_183616M.jpg

IMG_20201003_162555.jpg

Now that sliders are almost done...toying with the following idea. Blacking out the lower part of the bumper (this is photochopped). The earlier LXs would make for a good hybrid bumper in this style IMO. There's no turn key solution, but probably wouldn't be hard to do with a @TRAIL TAILOR HWM and some minimal panel.

1602258661219.png

Crushed mine in Moab...was considering chopping it. Any issues with emissions tests for inspection. I know zero about exhaust. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom