What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While your knowledge of cars, DIY projects, and modifications are commendable, I caution you in advertising the rate at which you are exceeding the regulated and rated capability of a 200.

Yes, we can all agree that 200s are conservatively rated; however, stated weights, capacities and capabilities are stamped by Toyota for a reason.

If you were to ever be at fault in an accident, especially one with your large trailer, I suspect that you would not have the accreditation/approval to substantiate your modifications.

Between 35” tires, spacers, homemade trailer hitch welds, and 15,000# combined weights, you wouldn’t stand a chance in liability court. Particularly against someone or an insurance company with any sort of technical acumen.

My $.02

Thanks for the concern. It's a fair point. Courts have a tendency to give no quarter, even if I may have considered and "engineered" to those considerations.

So you don't think I'm outright ignoring stated capacities, the trailer GVWR (7,600lbs) is within the '09 LX stated tow capacity (8,500lbs), so on face value, I'm within spec. Trailer balance and realities do have some detail numbers exceeding thresholds, something common in the RV world. I'm going into this eyes wide open and have at least measured where I stand.

In regards to the drop hitch, where I am modifying bears little stress. It's a solid hunk of 2" steel and I made sure to bevel to get significant penetration. Could just run it as is with the trailer about 1" nose up. Once it's done and grinded smooth and painted, it may not even look like it's ever been modified. Could just buy another drop hitch, but I'd have to modify it again in a different manner to shorten for stability. It may look like I'm modding too much, but I'm modding because details matter.

Looks great. How did the OME UCAs working out? Do you know your alignment specs post lift?
Yep, aligned, all good and rides Amazing! Far better than I had expected for sure!

Mule Expedition Outfitters spec'd parts /setup, installed and aligned everything. They truly are a one stop shop and have been super reliable and helpful. They are moving to New location in Preston this week, only couple exits down on I90. I ended up a little higher than expected in rear so having lower rear spring installed so can fit in garage. Winter storms in Sammamish are less than nice to outside parking given our massive cedars and pines we live among.

It’s the mounting brackets that make the package. I’m going to contact them and see if I can buy a set of mounts. Probably use some 3/8” plywood as the shelf . . .

I wonder if this will work with the Rago window racks?

Packed up for a camping trip that ended up not happening, but I did get to put the new Kaon shelf to use. Ended up being able to stow/attach the following:

Could you please measure the distance from the top your drawers and the rack? I'm wondering if the rack will fit with my fridge back there.

Installed old man emu UCA’s and washed it. Getting ready to switch wheels to BBS 18’s . I just posted these Bronze ones in the wheel classified’s if anyone is interested.

Ps I need to add more lube to the UCA’s that’s why the caps have not been installed yet.

F0474A40-35A2-4426-A43E-DB8F22883EF7.jpeg

B12FCCE9-B584-4C22-8290-62FBC10CFFCF.jpeg

E4385F57-05F6-4036-8EC4-6EC4A21F53FB.jpeg

7615BAC8-D6F1-4833-962F-B79E588993F5.jpeg

Last edited:
@kasparaitis must be another guy......... maybe I need to paint my 80 another color now,

I ran the Dear Valley Trail with my off road club. This was the most difficult trail I've been on to date. I had some excellent spotting through the difficult obstacles so I was able to get through with only some small damage to the bumper, skids, and sliders.

_DSC8067.jpg

_DSC8068.jpg

While your knowledge of cars, DIY projects, and modifications are commendable, I caution you in advertising the rate at which you are exceeding the regulated and rated capability of a 200.

Yes, we can all agree that 200s are conservatively rated; however, stated weights, capacities and capabilities are stamped by Toyota for a reason.

If you were to ever be at fault in an accident, especially one with your large trailer, I suspect that you would not have the accreditation/approval to substantiate your modifications.

Between 35” tires, spacers, homemade trailer hitch welds, and 15,000# combined weights, you wouldn’t stand a chance in liability court. Particularly against someone or an insurance company with any sort of technical acumen.

My $.02

This thread has over 10,000 posts. So...you might wanna hit the “reply” button under whoever it is you are commenting to... Otherwise, no one knows what you’re referring to... :cheers:

Last edited:
Could you please measure the distance from the top your drawers and the rack? I'm wondering if the rack will fit with my fridge back there.

23.75 inches from the top of the Dobinsons drawers to the bottom of the shelf.

@DJCloz - lol... naw, i'd keep it the same! I doubt it was the same color, maybe similar. Out of curiosity, what do you drive more, the 200 or the 80?
I actually DD a Tesla Model 3 for work. I drive a lot. typically 30k a year. The 200 is my wife's DD/ our family car. My gift to her(this is one way to get another LC in the household). The 80 is built to wheel, but we drive it to the beach or just cruise on weekends. Its built to run the hardest trails. Unfortunately, I probably only get out to wheel 3/4 times a year.

Added a Scepter 5-gallon military-spec water container to the LC supplies. Pretty steep discount on Amazon right now through seller VM Express ($38, normally about $60). Note that a lot of sellers seem to offer cheap knock-offs, but the one I received looks legit.

Amazon product ASIN B001IV8IYA
scepter_mil_water_can.jpg
scepter_made_in_canada.jpg

Took the 200 on a 4500km round trip holiday..

Bit extreme for us in this car as it has never been off-road or even towed anything (have a 60 series that usually does those duties).

It was very nice sitting on the speed limit with cruise control and aircond...View attachment 2465593View attachment 2465594View attachment 2465595View attachment 2465596View attachment 2465597
haha your boot looks like mine when the family and I head up to Gero/Mullewa.. thanks kids.

Nice to see more West Aussies on here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom