What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious what kind of rope or strap were you using? Kinetic rope preferrably?

Curious what kind of rope or strap were you using? Kinetic rope preferrably?
Yes the 3-1/4"x30' 24Klb ARB snatch strap, but I wasn't giving it any real energy. I thought about trying to give it some inertia but the attachment to his trailer was my poly lifting sling in a "basket" around some beefy 3x3 to a shackle then my snatch strap. Thing is the shackle under tension was really close to one of the cars and I could imagine it whipping and doing some damage.. let alone if any of that came loose. Wasn't worth the risk for how low likelihood there was of me moving him. That rear wheel so far in the air was a bit of a game changer.

BTW.. that 6' poly lifting sling is a good addition to a recovery kit. In a basket config it is good for 26.4K lbs. Has a built-in protection sleeve to help with sharp edges and such, and wasn't very expensive at $54. I carry it in lieu of a chain with hook cluster.. for when a vehicle might not have good recovery points, this can get wrapped around an axle or crossmember or whatever. I might still add a chain eventually but this is pretty forgiving and safer if you run into problems.

^Nice. You were probably his best best short of a commercial recovery outfit. And if that didn't do it, he indeed needed professional help to get him out.

Good for you that you had the sense to know when call it quits rather than continue the recovery effort and risk damage to property.

I do have a tree-saver strap in my kit to use as a bridle and help with an improvised recovery point. Along with d-rings and soft shackles. Hadn't looked into lifting slings but I'll check it out.

Last edited:
^Nice. You were probably his best best short of a commercial recovery outfit. And if that didn't do it, he indeed needed professional help to get him out.

Good for you that you had the sense to know when call it quits rather than continue the recovery effort and risk damage to property.

I do have a tree-saver strap in my kit to use as a bridle and help with an improvised recovery point. Along with d-rings and soft shackles. Hadn't looked into lifting slings but I'll check it out.
His next step was to unload the trailer and that’s what he was doing when I left. Still, I bet he needed a wrecker to pull him off that hump.

I’ve found the lifting slings better at dealing with irregular surfaces and off-angle pulls. The flat webbing of a tree saver is great for protecting trees by spreading out the forces but if you aren’t pulling perpendicular to the part it is attached to it can bunch up which isn’t as good for flat webbing. Also every once in a while the spot you are pulling on isn’t wide enough for the webbing to sit flat, which can cause bunching as well.

That said, a tree saver would probably have worked for this pull if I had the weight & traction.

Great install. Can you share which panel and mounting brackets you have? I have a Frontrunner Slimline and plan to mount a panel up top as well.
I just finished putting some solar panels on my Frontrunner. Not as slick an install as on the Dissent but I am happy with it so far.

IMG_1164.jpg

I have two Renogy 100W panels. I used the Renogy mounting brackets. I am using them to charge my Aux battery with the REDARC 1225 BCDC. The Aux battery is powering my Snomaster fridge in the back.

IMG_1167.jpg

I just finished putting some solar panels on my Frontrunner. Not as slick an install as on the Dissent but I am happy with it so far.

View attachment 2266155

I have two Renogy 100W panels. I used the Renogy mounting brackets. I am using them to charge my Aux battery with the REDARC 1225 BCDC. The Aux battery is powering my Snomaster fridge in the back.

View attachment 2266165
Thanks for sharing. This is almost identical to what I have planned. Redarc BCDC1240, LIFEPO4 aux battery, solar, SnoMaster EX75.

Last edited:
Put a jack under the pinion flange and jack up or down. It will swing the arm front to back and ONLY DO ONE ARM AT A TIME.

J
This tip would have been useful to me a week ago ;). It's okay, I had the time and doing things the hard ways is my style. Installing my RLCA skids took me about 3 hours the first time. After I tightened up the bolts they no longer lined up perfect and I then realized they were on the wrong sides before I did any drilling. The next day I spent another 3 hours switching them and struggling to get the bolts back in because I removed both at once. I ended up using a few ratchet straps to pull the axle in line. I had fun being outside, got fresh air and enjoyed wrenching on my vehicle. Afterwards I coated the whole area with Amsoil HD metal protector.
IMG_20200405_170747.jpg

@TRAIL TAILOR if you have any tips for installing the rear shock guards I'd appreciate it. I plan to do those this coming weekend.

Great install. Can you share which panel and mounting brackets you have? I have a Frontrunner Slimline and plan to mount a panel up top as well.

Here is the panel. I went with black to try and blend it in, but they have several models. And the prices on them fluctuate greatly, usually there is a sub $100 option. Also, they all have slightly different dimensions, so pick which one works best for your mounting position.

Amazon product ASIN B07Q6L8HQ9
I had 4 of these laying around McMaster-Carr that i drilled out to accept 5/16 - 18 hardware to match the rest of the rack. I only needed a small amount of spacers to have the rack fit between the parallel rails.

Just a heads up, but the panel I used had a double side wall construction that rendered my plan of using rivnuts to connect the panel to the angle mounts not feasible, so i just bolted it together.

Here is the panel. I went with black to try and blend it in, but they have several models. And the prices on them fluctuate greatly, usually there is a sub $100 option. Also, they all have slightly different dimensions, so pick which one works best for your mounting position.

Amazon product ASIN B07Q6L8HQ9
I had 4 of these laying around McMaster-Carr that i drilled out to accept 5/16 - 18 hardware to match the rest of the rack. I only needed a small amount of spacers to have the rack fit between the parallel rails.

Just a heads up, but the panel I used had a double side wall construction that rendered my plan of using rivnuts to connect the panel to the angle mounts not feasible, so i just bolted it together.

Yours looks great with the panel down low between the rack bars.

I think I used the same panel. I got mine from Renogy. 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Black Frame)(Back Order)

These are the mounts I used. Amazon product ASIN B00W49ZPPK
I was almost thinking about using this one from Overland Solar but it was a lot more money. Overlander 160™ ETFE Semi-Flexible Solar Panel with Top Mount Junction Box

Messing around with grilles, trying out the typical eBay blacked out Bentley style, and a OEM 70 series emblem.

I dig the 70 series logo, but the white letters stand out on my otherwise muted car. So, I picked up some decals from TVD Decals and made them grey. He has all kinds of colors, I figured grey would be a good start. I think I may see if he has or can do one in a darker shade of grey, maybe like a charcoal color?

White 70 Logo.jpg

Halfway Done.jpg

Grey Closeup.jpg

Grey 70 Logo.jpg

Messing around with grilles, trying out the typical eBay blacked out Bentley style, and a OEM 70 series emblem.

I dig the 70 series logo, but the white letters stand out on my otherwise muted car. So, I picked up some decals from TVD Decals and made them grey. He has all kinds of colors, I figured grey would be a good start. I think I may see if he has or can do one in a darker shade of grey, maybe like a charcoal color?

View attachment 2266341
View attachment 2266342
View attachment 2266343
View attachment 2266344

Are those the letters that render the radar useless, or is that feature still available. I've read thru the grill thread a couple times and it seems that some still work and some don't.

The radar and PCS work (although if I am to be honest, I would disable or remove them in a heartbeat).

The 70 series badge is all plastic - the smaller 40 series is metal, and seems to cause problems for some people.

Spun all 4 tires on concrete in low range trying to pull a high-centered car hauler off the bump it was stuck on. 1-ton pickup with 5 cars on a 5th wheel, not a tractor-trailer. I actually thought it would work as the side of his truck I could see had the drive tires touching the ground at least. Turns out the other side was 4 inches in the air.

Just not heavy enough! Never thought I'd say that about this rig
I wonder what the pulling force is with a 200 on concrete in low range. Just prior to the tires breaking loose, I'll bet it's few pounds.

The radar and PCS work (although if I am to be honest, I would disable or remove them in a heartbeat).

The 70 series badge is all plastic - the smaller 40 series is metal, and seems to cause problems for some people.

Thanks for the info. Don't know if i could ever go back to not having radar controlled cruise control.

This tip would have been useful to me a week ago ;). It's okay, I had the time and doing things the hard ways is my style. Installing my RLCA skids took me about 3 hours the first time. After I tightened up the bolts they no longer lined up perfect and I then realized they were on the wrong sides before I did any drilling. The next day I spent another 3 hours switching them and struggling to get the bolts back in because I removed both at once. I ended up using a few ratchet straps to pull the axle in line. I had fun being outside, got fresh air and enjoyed wrenching on my vehicle. Afterwards I coated the whole area with Amsoil HD metal protector.
View attachment 2266230

@TRAIL TAILOR if you have any tips for installing the rear shock guards I'd appreciate it. I plan to do those this coming weekend.

Install all the bolts loose. Tighten the main shock bolt and then the long through bolt.

J

Bought some used mats off a guy thinking they were 08-12 ones. Received them, lo and behold they're 13+. Ordered the new style retaining clips and threw them in.
IMG_20200409_141236.jpg
IMG_20200409_142127.jpg

Decided to try this mounting location initially for the antenna. With minimal/none experience with Ham radio, it seems mounting on a vehicle is a compromise with every position. Certainly not cutting a hole in the roof and didn't want it on the hood as I hit enough branches on my A pillar as it is. So rear bumper it is...for now.

IMG_5132.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom