What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (59 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New OEM LCAs.

OEMpartsource.com doesn’t know how to pack things though. For $651 you’d think they’d bubble wrap them before tossing them in a box with wadded up newsprint. Unsurprisingly, they banged against one another during transit.

The best part? No castle nut or cotter pin included. Thanks TOYOTA 😩

View attachment 2913488

View attachment 2913489
Think of it as being 5 minutes ahead of your next off road adventure 🤪

Sticky caliper bolts/slides. Make sure you clean and grease them during install.
Clean and Grease yep. Bore out the existing thread in one side! yes. Off to buy a new calipre. That was amazingly easy. Budget is growing lol

VHB tape the pillar/snorkel for the million time. Gonna try magnets next.

20220203_152327.jpg

Magnets work really well, but they have been wearing the paint down on my A pillar. There must be just enough shimmy.
Cool thanks for the info! Gonna see if I can put a strip of clear vinyl and still get enough hold from the magnet.

Finally got around to removing my awning brackets to replace the stripped mounting bolt and cut down the brackets since there was an awkward overhang, especially the front one that hit the sun roof when popped up.

These also came in the mail while I was out grindin’.

EA1A69B7-8FE9-40D4-9C07-B150566E9BAA.jpeg

VHB tape the pillar/snorkel for the million time. Gonna try magnets next.

View attachment 2913597
I have tried magnets, they fail miserably the very first time snorkel arm experiences any kind of force.
The only real solution is to man up and poke holes in the A pillar, put rivnuts in, seal it with rtv and bolt up

I have tried magnets, they fail miserably the very first time snorkel arm experiences any kind of force.
The only real solution is to man up and poke holes in the A pillar, put rivnuts in, seal it with rtv and bolt up
I'm also on magnets still, need to check the state of the paint once I get back in town in a couple of weeks. Btw, LC is parked inside the garage for about 6 weeks by the time I'm back. I'm willing to replace the battery and hoping for no other issues to deal with.

Learned that the front diff will run for approximately 88.8 miles with no oil. Luckily I had some friends also driving home from the ski slope about 20 mins behind me, so I didn't waste too much time being stranded.

Hoping the shop that just installed my new CVs will be legit and own up to their poor installation. Saw this a few days after I got it back from the shop, so I checked/topped off all fluids up front besides the gear oil. She took a good amount of fluid and there was a small drip out the bottom of the lower radiator hose connection, so I just threw some extra coolant in the truck and hit the road, checking all fluids along the trip. Again, besides the diff oil. :bang:

IMG_20220131_171415.jpg

Well, sounds like it's about time for a front locker... Other crucial lesson, always take your insurance! I thought about taking my tools, but didn't. So that's obviously the root cause. haha

Last edited:

Have run magnets successfully for years, but in the last month or so...it's clear they're no longer working. And like others, my pillar is all scratched to hell now.

Shoulda listened to @ClassyJalopy!

Have run magnets successfully for years, but in the last month or so...it's clear they're no longer working. And like others, my pillar is all scratched to hell now.

Shoulda listened to @ClassyJalopy!
Your pillar may be scratched now, but imagine drilling holes into it :cringe:

I'm also running magnets perfectly fine for almost 2 years now.

Done, 2x rotors, all new brake pads + new calipre. Both rears

272638690_479953913708266_7749234392907122005_n (1).jpg
272357114_889549508407956_5746819415449137488_n.jpg

Wondering what this grease is on the left rear wheel. Looks like some diff oil ? not sure. Rotor appeared to sit a little angled, wobbled slightly also.
262153277_537270314001124_1450069133510459623_n.jpg
272333001_301836128664486_8047019013920133232_n.jpg

View attachment 2913887View attachment 2913888

Wondering what this grease is on the left rear wheel. Looks like some diff oil ? not sure. Rotor appeared to sit a little angled, wobbled slightly also.
View attachment 2913889View attachment 2913890
Leaky hub seal? Does it smell like gear oil—sure looks like it, in a picture, thousands of miles away…

Your rear axles are full floating, right? If so, not that hard to r&r with a new seal and check the surface, and ensure bearings are in good shape and preload is good.

Your pillar may be scratched now, but imagine drilling holes into it :cringe:

I'm also running magnets perfectly fine for almost 2 years now.
Interesting how different our experiences have been with the magnets. I guess the first time I saw magnets fail was when I was out on the trail. FWIW, I have wheeled my truck a lot since putting on the snorkel.

View attachment 2913887View attachment 2913888

View attachment 2913889View attachment 2913890
Looks like your rear axle seal is leaking. They typically get damaged by bad bearings. Unfortunately you need some special tools to R&R the assembly since it needs to be pressed off the axle. There are some posts on here that go over the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom