What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front end refresh. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer bearings, axle needle bearings, axle bushings, seals, drive flanges, pads, rotors, 1 caliper (3/4 pistons seized!).

View attachment 2659339View attachment 2659344View attachment 2659340View attachment 2659341View attachment 2659342
Nice work! I have had new UCA's, lower ball joints, new red inner cv boots, and front wheel bearings in my garage for 6 weeks while I procrastinate at an elite world championship level. You have partially motivated me to finish the job. :)

I have been staring at my 98's saggy bottom for too long. Today I brought down the front end from 23.5" center-to-fender to 22". Rear has mysteriously sagged a hair over 22" - that with the OME 2865 springs with 1" spacer. Looks like it is time to spend on heavier springs.

Spring cleaning, preparing for Las Vegas valley triple digit temps. This is to address the condensation leak on the front passenger floor coming from the evaporator catch basin (only happens when AC is on, not heater).

Took off the glove compartment and removed this plastic panel/door for the evaporator; need to remove the door for the cabin filter as seen on the picture it has already been removed. This plastic panel it has 7 screws.View attachment 2658624
The removal is tight but doable, just bring extra patience so as not to damage any plastic tabs. Slide down a bit and once upper edge of this plastic panel has wiggled thru, pull it upwards and away from the dash.

Next was the rubber gasket inspection:
View attachment 2658627
This has seen better days, 253k miles on the clock and I bet this is still the original one from 2006.

Next is the dirt assessment, cleaning procedure (used a toothbrush taped on a wood stick for extension, purple power degreaser, 1” paint brush on the other end of the stick to get under the evaporator and get that dirt at the bottom), before and after.
View attachment 2658629

Assembly and resealing time. Figured that the best sealer is the liquid version to get into those curves, corners and bends. I opted to use FIPG since I still have lots left from my timing belt and water pump project 6 months ago.
View attachment 2658645
The old gasket on the top photo, it has served its purpose, he looks so happy and finally out Lol.

Cabin filter is also due for replacement, will do that in a few days when I get the new part from the mail. But for now I can say it was a good day. Give or take, I spent around 2 hours on this job.
Thanks for posting this. I have an intermittent mystery leak of some sort (just water, not coolant) in the passenger floorboard, as well, and coincidentally haven't seen it since last year when it was still warm enough out for heavy AC use. Similar miles/ age, so I wonder if my gasket's all crumbly too, with the condenser full of trash.

Nice work! I have had new UCA's, lower ball joints, new red inner cv boots, and front wheel bearings in my garage for 6 weeks while I procrastinate at an elite world championship level. You have partially motivated me to finish the job. :)
Ha, yeah I was sitting on mine for a while, but the balljoint noise was starting to scare me and I started getting an intermittent vibration from what I suspect was a needle bearing(has not come back since). The offending balljoint had ~2mm up/down play...

Make sure you get the press kit with more than a few adapters in it, I gerry-rigged some stuff I had around for the first side of the LBJ, ordered more adapters before I tackled the second, which was MUCH easier.

Another benefit is that I think I'm going to repurpose my old drive flanges into 2wd spares.

Ha, yeah I was sitting on mine for a while, but the balljoint noise was starting to scare me and I started getting an intermittent vibration from what I suspect was a needle bearing(has not come back since). The offending balljoint had ~2mm up/down play...

Make sure you get the press kit with more than a few adapters in it, I gerry-rigged some stuff I had around for the first side of the LBJ, ordered more adapters before I tackled the second, which was MUCH easier.

Another benefit is that I think I'm going to repurpose my old drive flanges into 2wd spares.
Was the BJ noise you had the faint knocking when accelerating from a stop? And maybe the same when slowing?

Was the BJ noise you had the faint knocking when accelerating from a stop? And maybe the same when slowing?
Nah, well that might also have been happening, but my concern was the quite loud screech when turning or going over bumps. I have a not so feint knock coming from my rear control arms when accelerating and braking which is next on the list.

In the last 2 days:

Grease driveshaft zerks
Transfer case fluid
Engine oil change
Doing rear sway bar links

20210428_152349.jpg

20210428_155657.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I have an intermittent mystery leak of some sort (just water, not coolant) in the passenger floorboard, as well, and coincidentally haven't seen it since last year when it was still warm enough out for heavy AC use. Similar miles/ age, so I wonder if my gasket's all crumbly too, with the condenser full of trash.
Yup I bet that’s it, unless you have a leak by the sunroof or windshield. Improvement is significant after the AC cleaning. Not only it is essential from where I’m from but this maintenance procedure will extend the life of each component of your AC system like the compressor clutch, condenser and expansion valves.
4719B007-BBD4-40F9-A8F3-F0D73463B021.jpeg

For a full water flush, I used this makeshift. Sprayed dishwashing liquid on the funnel before pouring warm water. What was collected:
F6573FE9-27FB-41B9-B7B5-7EC49F28A1EF.jpeg

Water is now clear but sediments and dirt is still visible, warm water helps soften that accumulated dirt in between the fins and the base of the box. Repeat the same procedure until clear water is dirt-free.

got stuck in a dinky stream for an hour and gained some panel damage. Yes it looks like you can drive right out, the ice on the edges breaks and makes a nice little wall taller than 2/3 of my tire.

View attachment 2659929
Whoops! Great view in the background there. I could think of worse scenery to be stuck in!

got stuck in a dinky stream for an hour and gained some panel damage. Yes it looks like you can drive right out, the ice on the edges breaks and makes a nice little wall taller than 2/3 of my tire.

How did you end up getting out? Looks like you had a winch so I am guess not good anchors nearby.

Yup I bet that’s it, unless you have a leak by the sunroof or windshield. Improvement is significant after the AC cleaning. Not only it is essential from where I’m from but this maintenance procedure will extend the life of each component of your AC system like the compressor clutch, condenser and expansion valves.
View attachment 2659901
For a full water flush, I used this makeshift. Sprayed dishwashing liquid on the funnel before pouring warm water. What was collected:
View attachment 2659903
Water is now clear but sediments and dirt is still visible, warm water helps soften that accumulated dirt in between the fins and the base of the box. Repeat the same procedure until clear water is dirt-free.
AC is required here in Bama as well, both for temps and to suck some of the water out of the air. I'll (carefully) tear into this one soon.

How did you end up getting out? Looks like you had a winch so I am guess not good anchors nearby.
You sir are right. The only anchor point was a friends 4runner and I would just drag it on the snow. Eventually after trying to just drive out in multiple spots we figured out a position where he had a couple tires on some rocks, traction boards under others, traction boards under my poorly footed wheels and crawled out. Now I've got a 100' winch extension line and 2 more traction boards coming.

You sir are right. The only anchor point was a friends 4runner and I would just drag it on the snow. Eventually after trying to just drive out in multiple spots we figured out a position where he had a couple tires on some rocks, traction boards under others, traction boards under my poorly footed wheels and crawled out. Now I've got a 100' winch extension line and 2 more traction boards coming.
And a pull-pal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom