What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Total Chaos UCAs are squeaky too, especially after it rains or I drive through water. They require a lot of grease.

I had been able to quiet down the polyurethane bushings with a generous helping of marine grease. But the ball joints are worn out plain and simple. I couldn't source the replacement joints otherwise it would have been a lot less work and more cost-effective to just replace them.

how much lift do you have? and did you re-align after going back to stock? just wondering if you needed the nitro UCAs in the first place.

I have barely 2" of lift (prolly more like 1.5" with the big fat bumper) and am still running the Toyota torsion bars. I don't really needed the nitro UCAs but found a good deal on them last year. Also, they allow about 2.5" caster which made the truck track better at highway speeds.
As for the alignment - I marked the adjustment cams with a paint pen before taking off the old UCAs and just matched those marks when I put on the new ones. So far she tracks straight.

My steering rack is leaking slightly and the bushings are deteriorated. I am saving up for a new rack and will get her aligned after that.

With new driveshaft, both CV Axles, all rear control arms, panhard bar and ball joints and tie rod ends replaced - the steering rack is the only thing left that I bought the truck with!

Need I say more? At 240k she is driving sober again. Machine gun sound is gone on rough roads as well.

20200410_115204.jpg

Need I say more? At 240k she is driving sober again. Machine gun sound is gone on rough roads as well.

View attachment 2267572
Have no idea what that is!
Just realized you are in Madison WI!! I know a couple of others in the area - perhaps we can go social distancing some time?

How was the replacement? I have one sitting in my garage waiting for me to install it.
Replacement was ok. Overall not hard just time consuming. Took about 3 hours. The only thing I messed up was installing the steering wheel tilt pin. I ordered a new one and broke it during install. I had to use the old one. Think egg shells when touching it. It is all about the angle to remove with breaking.

Very happy with the results. I was worried at first as I could not find the sloppy/worn places on the old when testing the joints by hand.

I could probably do it again in 1.2-2 hours if needed. Maybe at 500k:)

You shouldn't have any worries.

Have no idea what that is!
Just realized you are in Madison WI!! I know a couple of others in the area - perhaps we can go social distancing some time?
That is the the steering shaft. It get worn out to the point where the truck wanders in lane and needs constant correction.

There is a VERY good write on in here on how to replace. It is a 3 beer job (takes 3 hours). Well worth it.

I actually took my first day off in 3 weeks to get this done. I am considered essential as my company repurposed production in one of its facilities to bring in healthcare ppe. Good time!!!

Always like to get together with a fellow cruiser owner. We can stay in touch!!

Got this done.
989B6A02-58A7-4C62-904B-6D54B9D58C76.jpeg

Also cleaned out the AC condenser drain and installed a hose extension in preparation for the summer.

Hey man, love the color on those rims. What color is your rig (I have a black lx that im thinking about going "heritage colors" on and bronzing the rims, but I'd love to see it first!) and what spray did use?
Mines gold (no pun intended). Going to mount them tomorrow afternoon so I'll be sure to post up a pic and let you know. Going to remove the running boards too so should look dramatically different.

Well the brake booster motor gave out on me the other day. Managed to find a wrecker with one out of a 2002 4runner. Just swapped out the motor like for like. Easy job. Got lazy and kept the drivers side panels under the steering column on and just used a wobble adapter and some extensions. Here's a pic of the old ones insides vs the new to me one. I think I'm going to re build this one and keep if it decides to act up again.
20200409_150913.jpg
20200409_153054.jpg

had some extra time today and drained diffs and transfer case and replaced with brand new gaskets... let’s just say it was very stinky. i also had some extra time and went ahead and decided to give a shot at fixing my sunroof. i knew the motor worked and toyota told me the cables were seized. in reality, i just found out the motor and cables weren’t connected and slipped off from each other. easy fix and now got myself a working sunroof! cleaned and regressed and put it all back together within 2 days. phew! :cheers:

6F81530D-3FC4-46C9-A5E3-6C3B4DF51E51.jpeg

CFD0E428-C17E-4918-8AE2-DF6B1B74F624.jpeg

F7FC5AF4-9FF5-411D-B98F-C0AB9195AE65.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom