What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My '99 LC with an automatic trans that has a problem where the car intermittently has trouble cranking but will eventually run and once it starts to run it may turn off or it may not. I am having trouble diagnosing the problem because every time I try and crank the car I never know if the car will 1) crank on the first try and 2) how long it will be before it stalls out. I have a video of the car cranking the first try but within a minute of the car running it stall and the engine cuts off. I can't upload the video but if you think it'll help if you see it I can send it via email. I just had the fuel filter replaced by a mechanic because that's what he thought was causing the problem but it didn't fix it. Any suggestions or similar situations that have been resolved?
Definitely sounds like a fuel issue. You can have your mechanic test fuel pressure or maybe try some fuel injector cleaner for a tank of gas and see if it helps.

Or spark plugs if they have over 80-100k on them.

Last edited:
Mine looked fine. Swapped it. Problem fixed.
I wish I knew why it fixed it. I read several threads on here saying to do that before replacing a fuel pump etc. My LC has had most everything replaced related to the fuel except the pump. It was definitely worth doing vs. putting the pump in first.

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue. You can have your mechanic test fuel pressure or maybe try some fuel injector cleaner for a tank of gas and see if it helps.
That's what I initially thought the problem was. I saw a couple of videos on how you can test the pressure of the fuel system of other cars. I couldn't find one for the model I have but they were talking about a Schrader valve that you can hook the gauge to but I can't find one on the fuel rail. Another thing that they sell is a converter kit for a bolt you take out and can hook the gauge up that way but again I don't see any specific bolt for that.

I wish I knew why it fixed it. I read several threads on here saying to do that before replacing a fuel pump etc. My LC has had most everything replaced related to the fuel except the pump. It was definitely worth doing vs. putting the pump in first.
Ok, I'll definitely see what I can do about replacing it because it a good chunk of money to replace that fuel pump for sure.

Took the cabin-fevered family west into the mountains—George Washington National Forest has some surprisingly interesting forest roads...

B538E91B-4716-4B4D-9186-70DC9DAA2CD1.jpeg

58669343-23A1-44BB-8AA3-9389752C00B0.jpeg

D1FF3B02-5EB8-4696-8FE0-5A22C464BC2E.jpeg

Did some cleaning before I replace the front suspension. Only the AHC related parts will remain. No rust.

1586480867586.png

1586480935102.png

1586481024198.png

Remove the factory rack in preparation for the Prinsu that's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Removed the weather-stripping/molding as well, I think I have a good idea of what I need to do differently to account for the 2 factory mounts on the LX vs the 3 on the LC. Not like I will be in a rush...
1586483473240.png

I've been on the reservation for the past three weeks with the exception of grocery store and gas station runs.

But this week went paddling twice with my buddy when the weather was actually spring-like.

IMG_20200407_155732.jpg
IMG_20200407_165436.jpg
IMG_20200407_165051.jpg
IMG_20200407_173143.jpg
IMG_20200407_173353.jpg

I really appreciated my time on the water and behind the wheel.

Almost got everything back together today. Drove from friend to friend-of-friend’s house looking for a ball joint press, but no luck there. The lower ones tapped out pretty easily with a 4lb hammer. Soaked in penetrating fluid for a day 1st. All four new ones are in the freezer, waiting. Looks like I’ll have to take a 53 mile trip into town to rent one, and make sure I have enough diff oil. Meanwhile, the diff is back in, thanks to some help from my 9 year old daughter (getting the breather to point the right way while also holding 90 lbs of metal was tough). Thanks to @saucebox and @bwell for your help! Spent the time I would have been installing the CVs and ball joint just cleaning more goop underneath.

708853C7-5411-426A-B22D-9D9040C06CA1.jpeg

DEF68F9A-9ECB-41FE-9A9D-7C441D81BFE7.jpeg

D22767EA-2630-4076-87BB-0BCE53E5EDF2.jpeg

35FC311F-16C3-49A4-BF1E-5EAE26151EB5.jpeg

Almost got everything back together today. Drove from friend to friend-of-friend’s house looking for a ball joint press, but no luck there. The lower ones tapped out pretty easily with a 4lb hammer. Soaked in penetrating fluid for a day 1st. All four new ones are in the freezer, waiting. Looks like I’ll have to take a 53 mile trip into town to rent one, and make sure I have enough diff oil. Meanwhile, the diff is back in, thanks to some help from my 9 year old daughter (getting the breather to point the right way while also holding 90 lbs of metal was tough). Thanks to @saucebox and @bwell for your help! Spent the time I would have been installing the CVs and ball joint just cleaning more goop underneath.

View attachment 2266856

View attachment 2266857

View attachment 2266858

View attachment 2266859

I have no idea what I did, but it's looking good!

Ah, n/m. Duh, in too many threads today. Glad it was of some use.

Today at 374xxx kms, i replaced/serviced the following:

Replaced fuel filter (oem)
Replaced Fuel pressure regulator (oem)
Fuel injector service performed (lexus)
Fuel additive for moisture removal in tank (oem)

butt dyno feels good

Unscheduled time off allowed for some garage therapy. I spent the past week replacing valve cover gaskets, new plugs and the infamous timing belt replacement.
timing.jpg

It was last replaced at 119,000 on 5/2009 so I replaced more due to age than mileage. I was on the fence whether to tackle this myself. Given the opportunity of plenty of time to complete, I'm glad I did it. I was able to take my time, check & double check and have piece of mind it is done correctly. I didn't realize how noisy the old pulleys & bearings were. Much more quiet under the hood now.

And here's another heater T replacement testimonial pic.....
tees.jpg

Finally, while waiting for parts to be delivered I came across some plasticoat & red paint on the shelf. I like the black grill but the verdict is still out on the red emblem.
grill.jpg

My '99 LC with an automatic trans that has a problem where the car intermittently has trouble cranking but will eventually run and once it starts to run it may turn off or it may not. I am having trouble diagnosing the problem because every time I try and crank the car I never know if the car will 1) crank on the first try and 2) how long it will be before it stalls out. I have a video of the car cranking the first try but within a minute of the car running it stall and the engine cuts off. I can't upload the video but if you think it'll help if you see it I can send it via email. I just had the fuel filter replaced by a mechanic because that's what he thought was causing the problem but it didn't fix it. Any suggestions or similar situations that have been resolved?
Sounds like fuel pump/fuel filter perhaps?

Decided I don't want a clunking and creaking front end anymore. Ripped out these Nitro UCAs (the uniball type ball joints have become loose and squeaky!). Replaced them with a pair of used OEM UCAs. All is nice and quite now and the steering centers itself quickly after the turns.
Out with the old ones:
Nitro 2.jpg

In with the new-old ones.
20191217_095431.jpg

[
Decided I don't want a clunking and creaking front end anymore. Ripped out these Nitro UCAs (the uniball type ball joints have become loose and squeaky!). Replaced them with a pair of used OEM UCAs. All is nice and quite now and the steering centers itself quickly after the turns.
Out with the old ones:
View attachment 2267307

View attachment 2267306

My Total Chaos UCAs are squeaky too, especially after it rains or I drive through water. They require a lot of grease.

Out with the old ones:

how much lift do you have? and did you re-align after going back to stock? just wondering if you needed the nitro UCAs in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom