What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

listed it for sale. The 80 series is taking up my time, I barley drive my LX and I am limited on parking...….
LX Utah 2.jpg

4.jpg

This week I inspected two different 1999 Land Cruisers, with similar mileage (175ish K), for my brother who recently had his 2004 4Runner totaled. By the ads in Craigslist, one would expect similar vehicles "extensive maintenance records", "great shape". The first one - had oil dripping out of the steering rack area - dirty fluids - signs of overheating, and coolant missing from the reservoir - and coolant barely covering the top of the tubes inside. The records were "accidentally thrown out by the detail shop". They denied that they were aware of anything dripping. Denied any overheating history. By this time, we didn't believe anything they said. We walked away.

The second one, bought today, had clean fluids, actual folder full of maintenance records, absolutely new looking underside. Great paint, - a cream puff. Couldn't talk them down on price, brought home for a fair bit over high Kelly blue book (Not my truck so I don't feel comfortable giving precise price). Sellers: Father (original owner) and son, were polite, truthful, and pleasant. When they said they had others interested, I believed them. Looking forward to helping my brother get it more trail ready and spend some time in Mojave, Death Valley, and Anza Borrego. (I've already related to him the saga of the heater tees - someone should really set it to music some day.)

(Helping someone else shop is in some ways more difficult than buying one oneself!)

All in all, a good day in Land Cruiser land!

Gil
00707_fZpL1NZRY8r_600x450.jpg

This week I inspected two different 1999 Land Cruisers, with similar mileage (175ish K), for my brother who recently had his 2004 4Runner totaled. By the ads in Craigslist, one would expect similar vehicles "extensive maintenance records", "great shape". The first one - had oil dripping out of the steering rack area - dirty fluids - signs of overheating, and coolant missing from the reservoir - and coolant barely covering the top of the tubes inside. The records were "accidentally thrown out by the detail shop". They denied that they were aware of anything dripping. Denied any overheating history. By this time, we didn't believe anything they said. We walked away.

The second one, bought today, had clean fluids, actual folder full of maintenance records, absolutely new looking underside. Great paint, - a cream puff. Couldn't talk them down on price, brought home for a fair bit over high Kelly blue book (Not my truck so I don't feel comfortable giving precise price). Sellers: Father (original owner) and son, were polite, truthful, and pleasant. When they said they had others interested, I believed them. Looking forward to helping my brother get it more trail ready and spend some time in Mojave, Death Valley, and Anza Borrego. (I've already related to him the saga of the heater tees - someone should really set it to music some day.)

(Helping someone else shop is in some ways more difficult than buying one oneself!)

All in all, a good day in Land Cruiser land!

Gil
View attachment 2161982
That was a Pasadena CL listing, right? I was scheduled to look at it yesterday at 3 and got a text from owner just before saying he’d sold for full price. Glad it went to a MUDder.

Had to pull tbe LX out the stable to yank the LS home that decided to die in the middle of the road across three lanes during rush hour traffic..
IMG_20191221_134733.jpg
IMG_20191221_134723.jpg

What caused the LS to die like that? They are pretty bullet proof too.
I think it's the fuel pump. I need to view some service information but pump gets signal with little to no pressure at the line. I did find a system immobilizer dtc so I need to confirm my pin check for the pump and what could throw that dtc. Lucky for me it died less than a mile from the house.

And to keep it relevant
PSX_20180722_142402.jpg

I think it's the fuel pump. I need to view some service information but pump gets signal with little to no pressure at the line. I did find a system immobilizer dtc so I need to confirm my pin check for the pump and what could throw that dtc. Lucky for me it died less than a mile from the house.

And to keep it relevantView attachment 2162578
Very nice. What size wheels, 18 or 20? Also, what size tires?

I fixed the Intermittent starting issue I had for over a year. Replaced my starter with a Denzo reman. I took my time, and other than a (I believe) split crank case breather hose everything went smooth. Took me 6 hours with a lunch and a few phone calls.

Replaced the parking brake cable. The main cable coming from the brake lever. Also the shorter cable running to the passenger side of the rear axle. I would say 2 bananas. The painful: Taking the console out is a pain. Plan time to clean while it’s out. The main cable comes into the inboard side where it has to be slotted into a grove and cable in termination.
There is on cable retention bolt that has to be done by feel. It is in a cross member just above the front passenger corner of the fuel tank.
Key things I learned: You need slack to anchor the cable into the lever so leave it all loose. Run it from the back to the front the fasten it from the front to the back. Leave it loose from the shoe levers to do the 1st of the brake shoe adjustment. It’s in the FSM BR-36 or if you need it I’ll snap some photos.
Final outcome: The parking brake works as it should for the 1st time is well, let’s say a long time.
B72668D6-07BC-4629-83C7-4228C6729BE8.jpeg
AE820A6D-936E-4842-9D09-4176F8D7A754.jpeg
654D36DB-C7C8-4498-8DC9-6069362A6E58.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got the LX back with new timing belt and everything else associated. It definitely feels like it runs better. May just be me though. My mechanic did the job for $380. I had about $320 invested in parts, mostly toyota. Getting some KO2's tomorrow in 305/70/16. Hopefully they don't rub in "N" on the AHC.
Gotta baseline the rest of the fluids and change rear pinion seal, front seat bottoms and rear liftgate because of rot, and then I'm done (yeah right) and ready to hand over to my son for his 1st ride.

While chasing my tale in an effort to cure p0170 code, I pulled the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. Spliced a Denso one in and found that it had zero impact.
20191220_210529.jpg

Also, after stuffing about 4 feet long stripping of 2 x 2 inch dense insulating foam around the blower motor area behind the glove box, I still definitely get cold wafting out from the passenger footwell.

I am getting desperate now. Perhaps the next step is to pull the dash and see where this sucker is leaking from. It just seems silly that a truck of the caliber of a freaking Land Cruiser will fail on something basic like this!

With this issue, its basically unusable for roadtrips in midwest winter :bang:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom