What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (64 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helped my buddy install a car play stereo and removed wood trim

20191110_173039.jpg

Last edited:
Great Pics, what trails were you on, I am in SW VA and am looking to explore.

Thanks
FR227 & FR85, Flagpole Knob and Reddish Knob.

...Steel wool fibers rust in about .6 seconds when wet, so make sure it's ALL been flushed.

Really like your Rock Warrior Wheels.

FYI, stainless steel wool is available - usually Amazon is my best bet. I also find for this job that an original Scotch Bright (green) pad works very well and has no rusting fibers. Just put painters tape on any exposed paint surface AND the glass as I've seen it scratch the window coating.

Looks good!

Cross the half million mile mark yet?
Yes! but its was pretty anti-climactic, was just out for a Sunday drive through the valley. And I still haven't figured how to celebrate or what I'm gonna do about stickers/badges. 499999 looks pretty cool on the dashboard i must say. Actually over 501,000 now I guess we drive a lot.
03C5D233-3323-4CB7-805F-82F0F07779B5.JPG

Is that an all-the-time thing, or just when you're geared up for a trip?

Any rattling from it?

Were you asking me about my dash setup? If so, no rattles at all....even bouncing around rocky terrain and washboard gravel. The only piece that stays up for daily driving is the iPad. The iPhone mounts to a magnet mount on the dash. That magnet mount works great for around town. But it can't hold the phone at all when bouncing around offroad. The t-slot mounts are super quick to twist and remove. The iPad is mounted such that it angles down to reduce overhead glare on sunny days.

Really like your Rock Warrior Wheels.

FYI, stainless steel wool is available - usually Amazon is my best bet. I also find for this job that an original Scotch Bright (green) pad works very well and has no rusting fibers. Just put painters tape on any exposed paint surface AND the glass as I've seen it scratch the window coating.

Looks good!

Thanks!

That is good to know. Makes sense that SS wool would be a thing, but I've never seen it before! A scotchbrite pad would have actually been ideal here. :doh:

I did the masking and spraying today. Again, I was chasing sunlight around my driveway and front yard so I looked like a redneck parking on my own grass. I hate that... For the masking, I dropped all the side windows and affixed my tape to the inside of the rubber lip, then rolled the windows back up and taped that first piece to the glass above. This gave me a perfect line, no risk of overspray, and it was way easier than having to trim with a blade. For the fart-ejector windows, I popped them open and wrapped the tape around the bottom edge so I could get paint 'inside and under' the window.

Anyway, the trim and bumper paint is thick and comes out thick. Definitely be sure to mask well beyond the trim line as there will be some splatter. Also be very sure you've gotten a smooth surface on the trim prior to spraying. ANY imperfection will show through. I ended up doing like 5 coats. 3 lighter, 2 heavier. It looks 95% better, IMO. Not going to be as nice as brand new trim, but I don't imagine it'll ever catch anyone's eye and be apparently re-done. Maybe I'll replace the trim pieces themselves in the future, but low priority.

(Don't mind the truck being filthy outside)

20191111_111258.jpg

20191111_114904_HDR.jpg

20191111_125505.jpg

20191111_125511.jpg

Not just this week, but the last few-
Flushed AHC
Removed “security” wheel nuts and replaced with standard.
Replaced AC box gasket, filters, and cleaned out as it was leaking.
Prepped and painted 4 wheels semi gloss black. I’ll be blacking all chrome eventually.
Replaced front and rear brake pads with OEM.

2A791A71-1C9F-4B49-BAC7-7B8B662CC428.jpeg

Waiting to go camping...

20E9F236-295D-4186-B3A9-D74B783CBF2B.jpeg

Hate those.

B55B3C57-31E6-455B-A0C6-D0A0645F90B3.jpeg
2E2162CD-AA04-4DC5-9FAE-F636F4E3CFBE.jpeg

Nope. No soccer mom here...

@TRAIL TAILOR Hidden Winch Mount installed with a ComeUp Seal 9.5rs Slim

View attachment 2119330

That’s exactly what I’d like to do to my LX. I do have a question. What year is yours, my 2004 LX does not have a spot on the front bumper for the front license plate and I didn’t think they made one like that?

That’s exactly what I’d like to do to my LX. I do have a question. What year is yours, my 2004 LX does not have a spot on the front bumper for the front license plate and I didn’t think they made one like that?

I think it's maybe the difference between the 98-03 and 04-07, maybe? I just bought a flip up mount for the license plate mount on amazon. Check out this thread, there's an example of a 2005: Trail Tailor LX470 Hidden Winch Mount

New radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and gasket. Old radiator was super brown and had tons of “micro cracks”. Reused the foam by gluing it back on with RTV. Also got a good start building and mounting a first aid kit. Mounted a second fire extinguisher in front of the drivers seat and remounted the rear extinguisher up higher and more out of the way. I like it much better than where it was. I don’t like using the stock seatbelt hardware but I know if I don’t the hardware will disappear from my garage.

2B3DE282-442F-4378-9075-4538BDD486CE.jpeg

E1D68884-703D-4EB6-BF59-2B364281AFD1.jpeg

8AA167B6-B374-417B-84D2-2CB77F66F3DE.jpeg

1B7E74FA-E686-4251-B5F5-8053D213B649.jpeg

MORE PICS! I hope it is okay to double post.

7fQ9xAM.jpg

spMMXEI.jpg

39T1Ewi.jpg

u3ui6eP.jpg

xLTJ2ue.jpg

GQ7oOHA.jpg

FTFHRcS.jpg

YgBAhrr.jpg

cV96AC9.jpg

Gojkjgu.jpg

rQ0LLzK.jpg

Fy5l0qD.jpg

rMqgqAT.jpg

7gecWEz.jpg

hWosMGw.jpg

E7Pgv74.jpg

mUKUbLI.jpg

Sf9V7PU.jpg

f9dBgx1.jpg

YVVyHFh.jpg

You mentioned in one of these posts that you wished you had a more built truck for this trip. What Mods do you think would have been beneficial?

Pictures were AMAZING! Looks like an awesome Trip.

For some reason 222,222 miles seemed like a good point to change out the original shocks and springs. Went with OEM shocks and OME springs. Both rear shock nuts were rusted like crazy. Hit them PB blaster and nothing. Hit them with heat and nothing. Got pissed and drilled a hole through them and left the drill in for leverage. After what seemed like an hour if small turns to the wrench, I was able to get the passenger . Driver side i was able to get the nut about halfway and it got stuck. Luckily the reciprocating saw fit perfectly and I was able to lob it off. Got everything done just before the cold front hit here in San Antonio. Now i just gotta re-index the torsion bars to deal with the large amount of rake going on.
20191111_111600.jpg

20191111_111959.jpg
20191111_135510.jpg
20191111_162417.jpg

20191111_111959.jpg

protecting the rear, holds 350 pounds and comes with pin lock and anti rattle stabilizer, weighs 21 pounds and is stout. powder coated , 2 inch tubular. The mrs and grandma were rear ended on mothers day in the minivan with Florida drivers usually lacking in both driving skills and insurance

20191112_084241.jpg

20191112_084225.jpg

Last edited:
New radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and gasket. Old radiator was super brown and had tons of “micro cracks”. Reused the foam by gluing it back on with RTV. Also got a good start building and mounting a first aid kit. Mounted a second fire extinguisher in front of the drivers seat and remounted the rear extinguisher up higher and more out of the way. I like it much better than where it was. I don’t like using the stock seatbelt hardware but I know if I don’t the hardware will disappear from my garage.

View attachment 2131076

View attachment 2131077

View attachment 2131078

View attachment 2131079
I love the location of the rear extinguisher. Great idea. I removed my rear seats and seatbelts, so this would be ideal. Did you fab the bracket yourself which mounts at the top and bottom? It looks to be a perfect fit.

View attachment 2131076

View attachment 2131077

View attachment 2131078

View attachment 2131079
I am a believer in the fire extinguisher now about 2 months ago my neighbors 2013 bmw caught fire while parked in the driveway and totalled. Oddly enough the 4Runner I bought from a retired fireman had an extinguisher in the back side compartment that his wife said he left for me. Great idea to have 2. Is the white one and the red one for different type like chemical or electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom