What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went wheeling with a local group today. This was the first real test of rear locker, it absolutely made a world of difference.
Went down a hill so steep that I wouldn't have tried it on foot o_O
Started slipping side ways in the middle of the hill and was certain we would roll over, until I hit a couple of strong trees and finally was able to get off the hill with just a few scrapes.
Earned these character stripes
View attachment 2106133View attachment 2106134

Dude! We talked about this! 😂

@ClassyJalopy, how many extra chromosomes do you have?
Damn!

How does one “buff” the orange peel? To actually remove orange peel, sanding and heavy paint correction is required.
A typical wet sand 1500 to 2500 grit depending on how course the surface is. And then use the firm foam on the rotary polisher should smoothen the surface and make it glass-like.

MT4x4 sliders installed

7iN58s1.jpg

EYR0OtE.jpg

1. Find Jesus
2. S*** pants
3. Just try to get the front end swung back around
Couldn't do the first one, but another few seconds and I would've made a deposit in my lower garments.
Having a screaming wife and three young kids all freaking out doesn't help either!

I did unlock the rear diff before starting the descent because I don't know s*** about wheeling and was later told that it could have made a huge difference 🤷‍♂️

Couldn't do the first one, but another few seconds and I would've made a deposit in my lower garments.
Having a screaming wife and three young kids all freaking out doesn't help either!

I did unlock the rear diff before starting the descent because I don't know s*** about wheeling and was later told that it could have made a huge difference 🤷‍♂️
Soooooo.....the lesson is keep the rear locked? I would think that on a descent you'd be on the brakes the whole time so lockers wouldn't matter much, but then again I don't really know chit about it.

What is the proper maneuver if you start sliding down a hill sideways?

the right answer is don’t start going sideways downhill...

Put tranny in low and tc in low and turn on whatever lockers you have. Engine brake the whole way down

Or just go on a bypass

Installed a Yellow Box, took the slack out of the throttle cable, cleaned the front and rear ac with the Toyota refresh kits, replaced the front evap gasket, replaced the cabin filters and scrubbed the front blower fan clean with misc brushes.

Saturday at Southern Cruiser Crawl I did some body work.

Screenshot_20191013-213028_Gallery.jpg

20191012_180157.jpg

I finally cleaned the garage and put the boat in hibernation in the third bay for the winter to give the Cruiser a place to sleep at night. I was tired of parking outside!

Chris

20191012_165620.jpg

Replaced the steering rack bushings on my ‘02. Took about three hours. Wow, what a world of difference. No more wandering, steering is now precise. I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends two weeks ago which removed some of the play. now with the new rack bushings, no more play at all when wiggling the wheel at 3 and 9 o’clock. Old bushings were disintegrated, I didn’t even need to use a jack to push them out.

I then had the power steering fluid flushed with fresh ATF and added about 40ml of AT-205 since the rack was leaking at both left and right sides. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Also installed a 200mm Toyota size 2 DIN Android radio. Fits in the LX470 radio opening since it has a wider hole. There are small gaps around but hardly noticeable.

View attachment 2085977

View attachment 2085978

View attachment 2085979

View attachment 2085980
Hi HRTROB. I was able to replace the passenger side D bushing but the driverside is PITA. Can you share how you did yours please? I have 2002 LX470. Thank you sir!

Hi HRTROB. I was able to replace the passenger side D bushing but the driverside is PITA. Can you share how you did yours please? I have 2002 LX470. Thank you sir!

what part are you having trouble with? The driver side bushings easily popped off by hand because they were disintegrated. You can use a screwdriver and a jack to pop them off. Then I used a 6” long threaded rod with nuts and washers on both ends to press the new bushings in.

Took my boys (2yo and 3yo) and my father in law and his youngest son (15yo) up a fairly difficult trail closer to home and then camping up on top about a mile off the blue ridge parkway. Vehicle definitely is pretty overloaded with that many people and cargo, thinking of putting OME 2865 springs in place of the old sagging OEM springs since I often have several adults who all overpack. This pick was at the end where it dumps onto the BRP and a bunch of people were bear hunting.
IMG-3488.JPG

Anyway, lesson learned. Wednesday before the trip I figured I should actually order some straps, snatch block, and d links (already had the winch on the bumper just never got around to the tree savers and such) hoping Amazon would get it to me in time. And Friday about noon while I was securing everything on the roof to leave the mailed showed and I threw everything in the back still in the boxes. Well about 4 hours into the trail towards the top of the ridges got real stuck in a mucky sandy water pit up to the door seals, so i had to crawl out the window on the hood, My brother in law climbed on the rear passenger tire and opened the lift gate and everything out. First tried winching with a tree strap and D-link but just not enough, so put the snatch block on and hooked the winch back to the truck and that pulled the truck (with a foot on the gas) out of the pit pretty easily...but not before getting my hand pretty good when I pulling the winch line out. So not only did I almost not have much recovery equipment, I was too in hurry (and scared for the sinking almost underwater truck) that I didn't grab my leather gloves. Got zero pictures because I try to hurry to get my truck out of that dirty water as fast as I could.
unnamed.jpg

It was also as I got to our campsite that I realized I dont have a first aid kit in the car. So we used thing we had with us to clean it...bourbon. Campsite was great, but my floridian relatives got a little chilly when it got down to 45. I really do need to get away from the air mattress to a foam pad and to some winter sleeping bags. Also hit a good milestone on the way home and trashed the freshly cleaned and tuned engine bay.
IMG-3484.JPG

IMG-3487 (1).JPG

IMG-3515.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom