What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Upgraded taillights to red LED. Rock auto was $5 cheaper shipped than amazon. About $33.

0AAD9E9A-9AF1-4F68-9585-AC6884760784.jpeg

I did the big one last saturday, the all the bananas in the world job, and it did not disappoint. Put in a Detroit axle steering rack but with new 555 inner and outer TRE's, new high and low pressure lines, and all polyurethane bushings and new nuts and bolts. I used the engine lift method which worked fairly well though it is still extremely tight working quarters. I had a hell of a time getting the old rack off the steering column, gave up one night and then went to town with a pry bar and BFH the next. High pressure line was impossible so I cut it. Wrasstled the old steering rack out for probably an hour, the 20 yr old grime down there gave my arms hives. Took almost another hour to pop in polyurethane bushings and washer because everytime I got one in the other popped out. i ended up using a wood clamp to squeeze them in together. Wrastled the new one in for another hour before I realized I should probably manually push the inner rods all the way to one end. Then finally after all that and the new lines, the line from the reservoir to the power steering pump had a leak (a line I didnt even touch) had a nice slit in it. Well I was desperate for an alignment, so I took it off, degreased, let it off, and put flex seal tape over it lol but it worked so who cares.

Probably would have been loads better if I had someone to help, or at least suffer with me, but it does drive like a dream now. Even at 496,000! which we crossed last night going to a drive in and sitting in the back. It was great.
IMG-2974.JPG
IMG-3015.JPG
IMG-0814.jpg

Not having known the history of my heater T's and seeing this:

IMG_20190717_153158240.jpg

I though it best to replace them. Turns out they look almost new. Good trail spare(s). Top is old, bottom new.

IMG_20190718_105407862.jpg

laying on stress mats makes this job easier than reaching from the fender. Weight on the intake manifold and body at the front, not the grill or fan shroud.

IMG_20190718_103751757.jpg

Nice towel placement. smh

IMG_20190718_111049001.jpg

Last edited:
I took the day sweating my butt off snaking wires down my Shadow awning... let there be light!

Not bad for $30. I got 3 60” lights for a truck bed. These are quite a bit sturdier than the peal and stick strip LEDs
BCD741B5-D834-4F7D-83C5-2B5633CB65F4.jpeg
A643AB88-4F1C-4D22-8E2B-51625E5CA407.jpeg
F740D823-AE50-460B-9FD6-B0BD9D797C10.jpeg

Last edited:
The color matching on your front is really sharp. Very nice.

Thanks!

I also got a rotation done which turned up a puncture close to the sidewall so that got me a new tire. That's 2 replaced tires and the truck has never been off-road yet.

My rear bumper is black now thanks to my poor planning and a minor mixup, but Ben at dissent came though at the 11th hour and delivered me a powdered black one for the event that'll get the same color match treatment once I'm back home.

Replaced steering rack bushings. ~5hrs. Can’t tell a difference at all, FML.

View attachment 2034645
Are they poly? The difference in mine was profound! Significantly tighter afterwards. Sorry to hear you did all that work for not much difference, I understand the frustration! I did rubber first time around and they did not last long. I got about 1yr out if them but realistically needed them replaced after about 6mo.

Are they poly? The difference in mine was profound! Significantly tighter afterwards. Sorry to hear you did all that work for not much difference, I understand the frustration! I did rubber first time around and they did not last long. I got about 1yr out if them but realistically needed them replaced after about 6mo.

Yes, they’re polly. That said, my front swaybar is off the truck because it’s being repainted/repaired - so maybe that’s why I can’t feel a difference. Or some other stuff is loose in my steering (more likely)

Replaced wipers and attached fairing today. I wanted to remove skid plate but l saw where a bolt has already been sheared off so thought I'll wait. It's 90° here in mi today so ya. I'm a noobie or nobody , just wanted to dive in l

Took it to BBQ for my grandma.

20190720_155857.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom