What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed my sway bar bushings and links. I was hoping that it would cure the creak I get when I go over speed bumps (or rocks/ruts!) but alas, I will have to keep looking for the culprit.

Changed my sway bar bushings and links. I was hoping that it would cure the creak I get when I go over speed bumps (or rocks/ruts!) but alas, I will have to keep looking for the culprit.
Dang. Let me know what you find. I am chasing a similar thing.

How do your ball joints look? On my last LX, I had a terrible squeak like you described. Stuck the needle for some lubricant into the ripped BJ boot and the noise went away.

How do your ball joints look? On my last LX, I had a terrible squeak like you described. Stuck the needle for some lubricant into the ripped BJ boot and the noise went away.
I have done both lowers and one upper BJ and that hasn't fixed it. There is still the other upper I haven't replaced (waiting to see if I can add aftermarket UCAs and it doesn't seem too bad. I think it could be UCA or LCA bushings...

full

went boatin’

Dang. Let me know what you find. I am chasing a similar thing.
I just changed out my rear sway bar links and those fixed my squeaks and rattles.

Nice setup! Have fun with the TW... :D
Having lived in Wisconsin for over a decade I have never attempted Trans WI trail. From what I have seen it is pretty mild (Subaru level mild). Post some pics when you get back.
@Dparo How was Trans Wisc Trail? Any good/fun sections? Any pics? Thank you!

Switched from BFG for the first time in like 8 sets of tires. I will say, these are a LOT quieter.

View attachment 2032219
What load rating did you go with?
My BFG KO2 have maybe 3k miles on them and I can tell they are louder that Wildpeak AT3 before them which were louder than the Michelin street tires before them!

20190717_085421.jpg

20190717_085430-1.jpg

Put together a mister for those hot summer trips. The pump is for my onboard shower, havn't mounted it yet as I'm waiting for some belly armor. Mister hose is like 10 ft long and has 9 nozzles. To conserve water and because we don't need that much coverage I cut it down to 4 nozzles. Plan to use tarp clips to attach to awning.

265k update. It’s not a 25-year service life on my 2000 LX470, it’s a 20!
Replaced front diff again. Somewhere along the way (probably at last CV joint update)? The fluid made its way somewhere else. Was driving on the highway and started hearing a horrible whirring. Stopped at an autozone to replace the fluid. Opened the drain plug. Nothing came out.
Did the steering rack (Detroit axle) lower ball joints and upper control arms).
Replaced broken rear shock.
Replaced power steering lines, both had a small leak.
New front bearings inside and out, washers and a wheel stud and hub that broke in process.
Replaced ac condenser; realized compressor was also going; replaced that. Blew ice cubes, 41 degrees f at the vents. After a long weekend it struggled; found leak in rear evap, replaced that. Picked it up; the rear fan stopped working; gonna take it back and they are eating the 4 hours to take it apart again and check the fan connection. Blew nearly a liter of oil out of system most likely from a few dozen cans of Freon. (It’s florida!)
Replaced alternator.
Replaced battery (red top).
Replaced brake switch.
Replaced (under warranty) one CV axle - one year old - with torn boot. Ate the labor time (mine).
Other one now has torn boot.
Never buy aftermarket from cruiserparts.
Wish I’d have listened.
This ones out of warranty.
Remaining:
Replace steering wheel; looks like gophers ate it.
Unstick sunroof.
Tires have about a year left (wow!)
Replace passenger side cv axle with OEM, reboot the s***ty one for a spare.
Somehow find the tulip key that discount tire lost so I can drop the spare; or just take all the bolts out and cut the damn thing off.
I could have bought a 200 with what I’ve spent in the last 3 years, or just a low-mileage baby without the issues.
Here’s to hoping for another 260k, and another 20 years!

265k update. It’s not a 25-year service life on my 2000 LX470, it’s a 20!
Replaced front diff again. Somewhere along the way (probably at last CV joint update)? The fluid made its way somewhere else. Was driving on the highway and started hearing a horrible whirring. Stopped at an autozone to replace the fluid. Opened the drain plug. Nothing came out.
Did the steering rack (Detroit axle) lower ball joints and upper control arms).
Replaced broken rear shock.
Replaced power steering lines, both had a small leak.
New front bearings inside and out, washers and a wheel stud and hub that broke in process.
Replaced ac condenser; realized compressor was also going; replaced that. Blew ice cubes, 41 degrees f at the vents. After a long weekend it struggled; found leak in rear evap, replaced that. Picked it up; the rear fan stopped working; gonna take it back and they are eating the 4 hours to take it apart again and check the fan connection. Blew nearly a liter of oil out of system most likely from a few dozen cans of Freon. (It’s florida!)
Replaced alternator.
Replaced battery (red top).
Replaced brake switch.
Replaced (under warranty) one CV axle - one year old - with torn boot. Ate the labor time (mine).
Other one now has torn boot.
Never buy aftermarket from cruiserparts.
Wish I’d have listened.
This ones out of warranty.
Remaining:
Replace steering wheel; looks like gophers ate it.
Unstick sunroof.
Tires have about a year left (wow!)
Replace passenger side cv axle with OEM, reboot the s***ty one for a spare.
Somehow find the tulip key that discount tire lost so I can drop the spare; or just take all the bolts out and cut the damn thing off.
I could have bought a 200 with what I’ve spent in the last 3 years, or just a low-mileage baby without the issues.
Here’s to hoping for another 260k, and another 20 years!

This kind of mirrors my experience too, except I chose to put Toyota OEM for every part I replaced so I had to do it only once! I agree that a lot seems to go wrong with 100 series around this age. Mine has lived in the rust belt (IL and W) it's entire life so I have the added fun of busting every bolt that I touch.
So far in the last year of ownership I have replaced the springs, shocks, rear control arms, front ball joints, tie rods, timing belt, water pump and brackets, all pulleys, starter, plugs and coils, brake booster, brakes and brake lines, front bearings and hub flanges, etc. etc. And I found out that these trucks aren't as easy to work on in at least some areas.
But the flip side is that I have also spent a fair amount in modifying/upgrading my truck and I use it to go on off road trails and have had a lot of fun with my wife and 3 kids. All said and done my truck is still cheaper than a 200 series by at least $10k.
Also I am too cheap to take a $25k+ truck on off road trails that have potential of body or suspension damage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom