What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (57 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow thanks! Didn't even know they carried them. Do you know what gauge the plate is? Description doesn't state...
It's 3/16 thick. How to cut a couple notches out for the frame rails and it's pretty dang thick went through 2 grinding wheels just to make a few cuts

Painted my wheels black to match the rack and bumper, switched the tires to white walls out and added a new Warn 87914 fairlead ($15 in my local classifieds) to replace the old rusty 84308.
Sanding and painting took quite some time but turned out perfect after 5 coats each wheel plus one coat of primer.

20180707_221517.jpg

IMG-20181216-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190120-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181216-WA0012.jpg

Hey all, just "picked up" my 100 Series - it's a 1998, and as my username suggests, it's a hand me down from a family member who got too old to drive it. To age myself a bit, I was driving this thing through the mountains of Pennsylvania when I was 17 - my Aunt picked it up in 2002 with 60k miles (2nd owner), and when she'd visit from D.C. for the holidays, I'd sneak it out to rummage through snow and dirt as often as I was able.

Fast forward from 2002 to now, and it's mine! 3rd owner and just about to hit 251,000 miles. I've had it for 2 weeks, and washed it about 8 times already to a ton of grime off the entire rig, as it sat for months and months under a tree in front of her house. My first few bits of cleaning it up were "installing" the 3rd row seats that had been sitting in her attic for 17 years, then replaced the front fog light housing that fell out somehow. I PDR'd a few dents from the body as best I was able, and removed the running boards this past Sunday. The only aftermarket mod I currently have waiting to be installed are some rear mud flap deletes - they should go on tomorrow.

Otherwise, I doubt this bad boy will see much off-road time, as I've got an 8-month old, and another one on the way (oh, and a wife who likes to spend time with me) and live in the middle of Dallas. However, I'd really like to do a 1.5" to 2.5" lift (still debating height, brand, and setup), add some TRD Rock Warriors with 33's, and maybe an ARB front bumper and roof rack of some kind. Beyond that, I'll likely re-work and paint the rear bumper, and paint the fading plastic side trim on the doors. Not sure it'll make it much farther than that modification-wise after I'm done working through all of the regular and preventative maintenance items.

Should I black out the gold emblem on the grill and/or the entire grille + the gold rear badging? I'm torn...

At any rate, I've been lurking for a while here, so it's good to finally join, and I've got to say I'm glad to finally be a member of the community. I'm looking forward to learning a ton, and meeting some great folks along the way.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
My long struggle getting the MVCI software to work in Windows 10 x64bit seemed to be resolved using the advice of Michael (XesyCool) on the LCOOL thread “Techstream, Win10 64bit, and MiniVCI”.

However, my results are “empty” – as depicted on the attachment!

My suspicions are

• Even though connection between laptop and vehicle were achieved, there may be something incorrect about my installation?
Or,

• The 1HD-FTE 4.2 litre turbodiesel LandCruiser 100 Sahara with AHC (as distinct from similar 1FZ-FE 4.5 litre petrol engine vehicles) may not have been made OBD2 compliant in June 2006 manufacture of LandCruiser Sahara (VX) for deliveries in Australia. Instead, Toyota’s own MOBD may have continued?
Different to USA and some other countries, OBD2 was not mandatory under Australian law on this class of diesel vehicles until 1st January 2007 – and by this time the LandCruiser 200 series had been released.

So the request is .....

If MOBD, I am looking for help on what scanner, reader or software would work on the MOBD system?

Any comments and advice would be most welcome. I am trying to avoid the messy arrangements required if pressure gauges are are the only way forward to test AHC system pressures front and rear. There must be another way.

Attachments

• Unsuccessful MVCI connection.pdf
    192.8 KB · Views: 222
More like what I have done this month...
  • Spent 40 hours on Mud.
  • Replaced the leaking radiator with a Denso. Full coolant flush.
  • Sealed the sunroof weather stripping with flowable silicon.
  • Greased the propeller shaft and spiders.
  • Tried out the local Lexus dealer shop, and i'm not sure if I trust them. They told me I had 1mm left on my brake pads. There was half a pad left. Replaced the brake pads anyway since I had everything disassembled. I need to tackle the rotors and bearings after the next 40 hours on here.
Big thanks to this community. Y'all are invaluable.

Last edited:
I’ll try to post up a few more. Waiting on piano hinges...

Also thinking about topping them with 24” foam tile squares from Costco.
Nice! That would be easier on your knees if you had to climb around on it. I have the same thing in my hundred and when I put my dog's back there they just slide around so I need to figure out something to give them more grip. The foam squares from Costco seems like a good idea

I’m very glad to say that I finally bought another 100 series after I missed my old 1999 black LX 470 , I count myself very lucky to a found a 1998 white Land Cruiser with the optional rear locker and a perfect service history with no deferred maintenance and it’s been in Marietta Georgia it’s whole life and have us never seen salt. I have owned my 200 series for about four years now and love it very much but there’s a special place in my heart that the 100 series just touches I look at it like a nice worn leather glove that fits just so perfect.

These 100 series trucks are getting so hard to find in good shape if you have a nice one don’t sell it like I did because your work very hard to find another one below is a picture of the one I should’ve never sold

Finally tore into my recently purchased 2000 w/ 179K on the clock. 2 owner PA truck so some as expected rust scale underneath but surprisingly solid overall (wouldn’t have purchased otherwise). The rear bumper reinforcement & impact pad did need attention IMO so I pulled it apart and ordered new Toyota replacements. Applied POR15 to the rear section of the frame while it was accessible. Rig came with an OME 2.5”’ kit installed with Slee dif drop. I swapped out the 860 coils for 865 to level it out & soften the ride a bit. I only haul ski gear, mountain bike & golf clubs! And finally a set of Tundra wheels with 275/70-18 Duratracs. Installed 1”’BORA wheel spacers on the front. Ride drives handles great. Scheduled for a trip from PA to CO in the fall so still some preventive maintenance & baseline work to be done.

61CFAF6E-76DF-4731-8F22-706D718E6459.jpeg

4C169AB0-6A2E-4F76-BD02-DCB5135B3163.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally tore into my recently purchased 2000 w/ 179K on the clock. 2 owner PA truck so some as expected rust scale underneath but surprisingly solid overall (wouldn’t have purchased otherwise). The rear bumper reinforcement & impact pad did need attention IMO so I pulled it apart and ordered new Toyota replacements. Applied POR15 to the rear section of the frame while it was accessible. Rig came with an OME 2.5”’ kit installed with Slee dif drop. I swapped out the 860 coils for 865 to level it out & soften the ride a bit. I only haul ski gear, mountain bike & golf clubs! And finally a set of Tundra wheels with 275/70-18 Duratracs. Installed 1”’BORA wheel spacers on the front. Ride drives handles great. Scheduled for a trip from PA to CO in the fall so still some preventive maintenance & baseline work to be done.

I’m sure

View attachment 1911968

View attachment 1911969
Perfect stance!

I miss my 865’s - they had a great ride without the huge tire to fender gap in the rear.

Those tundra wheels look right at home. What are your thoughts on the duratracs ?

Registered the first 50 miles on the tires today. Much better ride over the BFG KM2 that they replaced. Drove home from the slopes in a mix of snow & sleet and they performed well.

After a few Rock impacts I finally decided to swap my rear lower control arms. I saw Slee recommend SPC , and thats what he sells so that's what I got. Look a little larger than stock but way way heavier. And added some insurance to my control arm mounts since they were getting bashed pretty regularly. Still need to drill the holes and out the self taping bolts in, but I'm super happy with them! Thanks @TRAIL TAILOR! Now you have me wanting the rear shock guards too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom