What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the O2 sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1). The location of this one is frustrating, but I got it eventually.
E9636E16-CEB6-4029-9698-61C7595101A1.jpeg
I also removed the 20 yr old pin-striping.
19E9503E-0D0D-498E-BB64-AB0D58F390FB.jpeg

Then removed the roof rack for repainting and rejuvenated the rubber trim on the mounts. A heat gun will make them look almost brand new again
1A6197FC-575D-4701-97AA-907EFBF695BD.jpeg

I took the temporary oil plug out of my 100 and re-tapped the hole to M13x1.25 and it worked perfect! The hardest part was getting the toggle bolt out. A magnet and and very slim pair of needle nose pliers was the trick. Amazon sells a tap kit with 6 drain plugs and a tap for $13. Perfect.

20190203_135751.jpg

Airlift 1000 airbags. Got them open-box off Amazon for $40! Work awesome! Will install a compressor and gauges down the road.

PKM4mSN.jpg

My bags popped with the first speed bump, maybe I did something wrong

Airlift 1000 airbags. Got them open-box off Amazon for $40! Work awesome! Will install a compressor and gauges down the road.

PKM4mSN.jpg

Nice score! I've had some good finds in Amazon's open box/ used section. I got my SPC uca's for about $350.

Last month is replaced my leaking battery with an Interstate 27F from Costco. Today I installed a new fusible link as the connections on the original one were corroded, a new battery clamp and clamp bolt and associated hardware.
0DA3FDA3-0556-4C53-B04A-499556DBE320.jpeg

66D59924-6B76-41E6-9B3A-7D9B3042E98C.jpeg

Upon upgrading the rear rotors and pads, I found the previous owner did the rear brakes wrong. He had the pad retainer clips pointed IN at the rotors and over tens of thousands of miles they wore a deep groove into the cast iron and also splitting the pad material. Hence why that side worn faster than others. It had MUCH less surface area to brake.

46913706032_fd9c6a281a_b.jpg

46913706292_22ac044643_b.jpg

DBA t3 4000 series slotted rotors and Hawk LTS semi metallic pads. Front will be here on Friday for another party in the garage.
Oh so nice to have some stopping power!!
46913706162_636edc759e_b.jpg

Installed 2 new OEM Toyota CV axles plus new drive flanges this weekend. After 200k miles and a few reboots it was time.

I also installed a set of Rhino Rack Vortex bars and a Rhino Rack Sunseeker awning. I’m really digging the new look:cool:

E241A75C-6DE4-4C76-800F-BA3E83BD19B5.jpeg

3B365D78-C215-45CB-BBFB-CF78AB071D05.jpeg

DDF3886D-434F-4F3A-A1D8-B98801BE5C07.jpeg

The kid & I took his vehicle on a 20+ hour 1000+ mile road trip over the weekend. My DD is a mostly stock 06 LX. My son’s DD is a typically modified 00 LC. For me, driving his vehicle is a familiar, but slightly different experience. Since he’s gone off to school, I don’t get to drive his vehicle all that often.

It was somewhat interesting, comparing/contrasting the 00 vs 06, TLC vs LX, and modified vs relatively stock, over the course for 20 hours and 1000 miles.

Even though his vehicle has more miles, squeaks, and rattles, overall it gives a general sensation of being "simple", "heavy", "sturdy", and with a less creature comforts, when compared to the LX.​

At slower speeds, the slower non-VGRS steering feels slow and sluggish, but at freeway speeds, the steering felt better with more (pleasant) feedback than my LX.​
His aftermarket steering wheel (from Taiwan) seemed too thick, and felt a little weird to me.​
At “in town” speeds, the OME suspension felt “harsh” compared to the AHC in the LX. At freeway speeds, the OME suspension felt “more planted” than the AHC in my LX.​
There were a few times that I had to pass other vehicles on a hilly 2 lane blacktop highway. I kind of missed the 5 speed and VVTI, from my LX, in those instances, but for the most part it wasn’t that much of a difference except in those situations​
At dawn/dusk, I found the non-illuminated (without the headlights on) gauges somewhat annoying.​
Traveling through fog, in the dark, in the deer infested Texas Hill Country, his ARB bull bar was somewhat comforting, although I think I prefer the low beam pattern of my OEM LX projectors and OEM fogs, over his aftermarket Depo lights and ARB fogs.​
My son’s cheap Chinese ARB LED knockoffs were nice to have, on some of the lonely dark stretches of blacktop highway. On some of the more populated areas with deer, the Nightview of the LX was missed.​
The angle of the aftermarket head unit had more “glare” issues than I am accustomed to with the factory nav screen in the LX. That beautiful high resolution aftermarket screen also means tiny little buttons, that are hard to hit, compared to the big buttons on the low resolution OEM LX screen. I was surprised how much I missed the steering wheel audio controls of my LX.​
I prefer my leather seats to the neoprene Wet Okole seat covers in my son’s vehicle, but the Wet Okole covers aren’t that bad.​
I missed the telescoping steering wheel of the LX.​
When switching drivers, I really missed the “memory seat” from the LX​
The HVAC knobs were easier to manipulate while driving to get exactly what you want, but it seemed more fiddling was required than with the LX on “auto”.​
I learned my kid has no idea when his wiper blades are useless and ineffective, and I got to replace the blades mid-trip when it started raining.​
I probably would've been a little more comfortable driving my LX, but I enjoyed driving my son's LC. Most of all, I am reminded that I like the 100 series vehicle, in a variety of of its different forms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom