What Do You Think About My Front Fender Rust Mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We all know how these old 40s rust out on the front fenders behind the braces underneath, so I tried to come up with a cheap, easy solution to make it go away (at least for now). I have already cut out the bad metal on the sides and patched them up, but was trying to think of an idea to fix the spots behind the turn signals. This is what I came up with...

(PO filled in the rusted spots with some Bondo)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...0151699882041413_2078230395_o_zpsb98783a0.jpg

I cut out the rusted metal and the rotted upper part of the brace underneath.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...0151699881866413_1391485768_o_zps859f7d10.jpg

Made a template and had a friend cut out some diamond plate from some extra stuff he had around the shop. This is just a test fit.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...10151699881601413_573641450_o_zpsf0d06d58.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...0151699881671413_2055967883_o_zpsab10ae46.jpg

I just painted them black cause I don't like a lot of shiny stuff on my Cruiser, although I think they'd look cool either way. Also thought white might look good too so it would match the bezel and roof...
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...10151699881771413_561034416_o_zpsaff889d5.jpg

Now I know a lot of people on here hate any sort of diamond plate, but I personally don't mind it. Yes, it is a coverup for rust, but I am on a limited budget. Someday, when I have the money to do it "right", I will end up just buying some replacement fenders as well as many other parts and pieces that need replaced. For now though, I thought this was a pretty cool idea. I have been cutting out and treating all of the rusted metal so that it won't get any worse than it already is, but I still want it to look as good as it can without spending a lot. Let me know what you think.

What were you thinking? Diamond plate :censor:.

How will you attach them to the fender?

I guess with the light bolt

Diamond plate :censor:.

:meh: my truck came with diamond plate rear corners (hiding dents), diamond plate rocker panels (hiding rust) and a diamon plate bib (hides nothing except for a black painted bib) - I didn't mind, since it also provided more strength against "wheeling happens" events

now that the rear corners are gone I am also inclined to remove the diamond plate rockers, although I am not too fond of the idea of having to paint more than half of the truck - I have until the weekend to make a decision . . .

Last edited:
I cut out some 3M adhesive tape that goes all around the edges to seal them off and will probably use some sort of silicone or something around the hole I cut out and then spray the bottom side with some rubberized undercoating to keep moisture out from between the two panels. The bolt from the turn signal will secure the front section. Thought about using sheet metal screws in the corners, but my friend that cut them out suggested the 3M tape. I just want to make sure that water doesn't get in between.

not a new idea. this pic is about 11 or 12 years old ;)
P1010086.JPG

not a new idea. this pic is about 11 or 12 years old ;)

Hey! I resemble that remark! Still running strong too I might add ;)

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD at 85mph in an FJ40

Damn! I thought I had come up with something new :frown:. Seems like the majority here hate the diamond plate. I guess you probably don't want to see my next project of a full diamond plate hood and windshield cover... :D LOL!

Damn! I thought I had come up with something new :frown:. Seems like the majority here hate the diamond plate. I guess you probably don't want to see my next project of a full diamond plate hood and windshield cover... :D LOL!

yeah, sorry to the be bearer of bad news, but that's already been done too. you'll actually be hard pressed to diamond plate something that hasn't be diamond plated
diamondplate40.jpg

yeah, sorry to the be bearer of bad news, but that's already been done too. you'll actually be hard pressed to diamond plate something that hasn't be diamond plated

Damn....i LOVE it :cool:

Don't feel bad: Ige comes from the Midwest where cruisers started rusting on the dealers' lots and by the time the new owner drove it home and peeled the window sticker off, they had rust to repair. They have had decades to come up with cheap ways to hide rust.

First time I saw Ige's cruiser at a Rising Sun meet back in about 92 or 93 I had nightmares for weeks about my cruiser rusting....I washed my cruiser about 12 times over the next week.

Ige, is that an optical collusion, or are the front tires actually smaller than the rears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom