What did you do with your trailer this weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Step one get the rust out of the Virgin receiver! I am looking to get a rear coil conversion with the Firestone bags inside. This limits me to 1000lbs tongue weight I believe.

Are there other options I should look at in a GX?

IMG_20190819_190146106.jpg

Spent the last week dragging it around Utah and Colorado, somewhere around 250 miles off road and 700ish on road.

Canyonlands-2.jpg
Canyonlands-14.jpg
Canyonlands-28.jpg
Canyonlands-32.jpg

Canyonlands-78.jpg

Nice rig. That's what I want for the ol lady and I. What make is that? Did you rework the suspension?

Thanks. We homebuilt it in 2001. I have reworked the suspension putting on FJ60 springs and some Monroe shocks. It made a world of difference. It just glides over all kinds of terrain. No more messed up drawers or gear that has bounced around.

Picked this up from a local club member and beginning a refurb to get it back on the road.

It's been in storage for years. I got very lucky and it shows no signs of mice and no tears in the canvass.
20190918_090132[2].jpg

Slowly getting the canvass to stretch out so I could attach the snaps. Ended up getting them all but the ones by the doors.
20190918_092838[1].jpg

Fits a small queen bed and has enough room for a folding chair and I can stand up in it too.
20190918_091047[1].jpg

Water system will need to be replaced for sure.
20190918_093434[1].jpg

Has storage under the bed and a slide out for sink and counter area. Also came with 2 other boxes that house a power system and storage for food or fridge.
20190918_093406[1].jpg

It will be a process getting it up to snuff, but looking forward to using it in the future. Step 1 is getting the new axle mounted. the old one bent after some heavy off road use.

Picked this up from a local club member and beginning a refurb to get it back on the road.

It's been in storage for years. I got very lucky and it shows no signs of mice and no tears in the canvass.

It will be a process getting it up to snuff, but looking forward to using it in the future. Step 1 is getting the new axle mounted. the old one bent after some heavy off road use.

Nice, I have always liked the KampaRoo's.

A few months ago, actually whilst out in the middle of nowhere Utah I got a shred of cell service...to be informed an Escape 15A I had been looking for came up for sale in Texas. South Texas to be exact. Long story, a good buddy volunteered to co-pilot with me for the ~3600 mile round trip...now THAT'S a good buddy :D

I just added a nose box with a LFP Prismatic 6500w power center...Sterling B2B BB1260 to keep it happy while rolling and a few other items checked off the list of mods to be done. Maiden voyage starts tomorrow.

A few months ago, actually whilst out in the middle of nowhere Utah I got a shred of cell service...to be informed an Escape 15A I had been looking for came up for sale in Texas. South Texas to be exact. Long story, a good buddy volunteered to co-pilot with me for the ~3600 mile round trip...now THAT'S a good buddy :D

I just added a nose box with a LFP Prismatic 6500w power center...Sterling B2B BB1260 to keep it happy while rolling and a few other items checked off the list of mods to be done. Maiden voyage starts tomorrow.

Pictures?

Dragged it across Wyoming a couple times for no good reason on our annual trip to Yellowstone (ended up staying in the newly refurbished Canyon Lodge instead). Also busted off the spare tire carrier. Behind the world's flimsiest bumper lives a pile of bird s*** weld. Thankfully I caught it before it fell completely off and killed someone. I'm thinking this is not the first time this thing has broken :eek:

20190925_154451.jpg
Spare tire busted.jpg

Last edited:
For now, I'm just going to weld up a real bumper. Eventually more, but I'll have to think about how far I want to go. The A-liner has two pretty beefy 2x6 boxed frame rails that run the length of the camper, much like a truck frame, but all the laterals are pretty light gauge 2" angle iron except the one above the axle. That piece of 2x2 where the bumper broke, for instance, is just welded to a piece of angle iron at the other end (which is now a little bent). Just putting in a real bumper will probably significantly improve the strength. Then I would need to put some thought into just how far up the trail I would actually want to drag this thing. It will get a lift and bigger tires probably next year so I don't have to run a massive drop hitch.

Hacked off the side rails and boards in the morning, then drove 9 hours for an 80 body, then took the kiddos camping. I almost got stuck on a forest road well after midnight, had to back down a narrow mountain fire road in the pitch black over a 1/4 mile solo, then decided to camp in a developed campground since it was almost 3am. Finally got it home safe and the kids had a short but fun (and cold) camping trip.
Pics are crappy-after-dark, but I was exhausted and needed sleep. I will try and get some better pictures in daylight

IMG_20190929_191407.jpg

IMG_20190929_191500.jpg

Got the new beefier axle mounted under the Roo and the electric brakes sorted and wired (still no way to control them from inside the truck yet).

Next on the list was freeing the rusted in place leveling legs. Took a dead blown hammer, block of wood and a couple of beers to get them sorted.
20191010_125016[2].jpg

Moved on to hopefully making it water tight when closed, so off with the old weatherstrip on on with new.
20191011_150536[1].jpg

20191011_150550[1].jpg

20191011_155918[1].jpg

20191011_155952[2].jpg
20191011_155952[2].jpg

Slowly making progress .... very slowly.

After tripping over them for the last 6 or 7 years, the giant Cruisin' Off Road-built fenders are finally getting mounted on my 101. 35s with no lift.
48892063662_abe4a9713c_b.jpg

Thanks. We homebuilt it in 2001. I have reworked the suspension putting on FJ60 springs and some Monroe shocks. It made a world of difference. It just glides over all kinds of terrain. No more messed up drawers or gear that has bounced around.

Man, your trailer is so cool. Did you design it yourself or purchase plans somewhere? I'd love to build something like this some day.

Man, your trailer is so cool. Did you design it yourself or purchase plans somewhere? I'd love to build something like this some day.

Thanks.

We designed and built it just about 20 years ago. We found some plans in a magazine and basically widened and lengthened that design. It has worked out really well and has travelled thousands of miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom