What did you do with your trailer this weekend? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No go on getting out of town this weekend, so I installed some solar and started to rework the galley. Pulled the stove/oven combo and will be going with drawers and a slide out for the new stove. Gave it a bath too, before putting it away for another week.View attachment 1987524View attachment 1987525
What are the Jerry can holder details? Could use something like that on mine

What are the Jerry can holder details? Could use something like that on mine

Just a cheap bolted to the side of the trailer. Been working great for both fuel and water. I don't use it with the included metal strap that goes over the top, but the basket part has been just fine with a few thousand miles of bouncing around.

Amazon product ASIN B06XYZJD5Y

Short but sweet camping trip in Los Padres National Forest near Ft. Hunter Liggett. Started raining at 0300, but kept warm n dry. First time the trailer has seen rain, and no leaks! Rained the whole drive home (pretty hard at times), and not 1 drop of water inside! Pretty damn happy. Both LX and trailer did great!
20190525_160650.jpg
20190527_142352.jpg

I finally made a change to the galley after becoming increasing frustrated with high altitude, cold camping and the resulting poor performance of the RV stove I have had in the trailer for the last 18yrs. I have two week long trips coming up in September and October so this needed to happen.I also wanted more storage space as I could never really get as organized as I wanted to. This has been over the last few weeks, but I removed the stove, built in a stove slide-out, a very large drawer and cabinet, and added lighting within the cabinets so I can see inside the cabinet at night. The I covered the highest surface of the cabinet with some stainless steel that will also provide a good place to put hot pans, etc, and I also permanently mounted a HDPE cutting board just above the drawer above the stove slide out. Also gave it a fresh coat of paint.

Old
td1.jpg

In Progress
td2.jpg

Almost final
td3.jpg

Last edited:
Last weekend at the Toyota Land Cruiser Association Trail Ride at the Red River Gorge in Eastern Kentucky.

20190721_105020.jpg

20190721_115521.jpg

20190721_105020.jpg

This weekend? I'm still building it. I've run into the problem that my stock Jeep wheels have the correct bolt pattern for my 2000lb axle, but the center hub is too large and they won't fit on. Now I have to figure out what to do before I go on vacation on Monday...

007.jpg

Thursday evening, getting the axle and suspension in place.

006.jpg

The old trailer carcass- it doesn't look too bad from this angle, but the tongue and frame was bent and the floor was mangled from carrying wood pellets (one ton at a time) for the last 6 years. The axle and springs were fine.

011.jpg

As of Thursday night, I finished welding the lunette to the trailer tongue and gave it a nice little drive to shakedown and see how noisy it is. Actually, when I was using a 2" ball hitch, the hitch would rattle in the bumper's receiver and make more noise than the pintle and lunette does.

013.jpg

As of Friday afternoon the box was finally dry from assembling and painting, I was able to fit it on. I just have the spare tire to mount, jerry can holders to attach, footman loops to rivet to the lid, safety chains to weld to the tongue, fenders bolted to the sides of the box, and electrics to wire up. I should be able to do that on Sunday, it's actually not as much work as it sounds.

I may have to drive it to Florida with the 13" wheels that are on it now and just custom order an axle that has hubs my jeep wheels will fit on later. I'm still thinking about attaching my old jeep bumper to the trailer because it has a 2" receiver. That way I can use a bunch of different accessories- like a small table for cooking, bike rack, ski rack, etc.

I like this thread. Last weekend on the way home from NWOR in Plain, WA we took WABDR stage 2 from north to south.
View attachment 1738084 View attachment 1738085

As you can see I have some 80 series wheels on there. Good idea at the time when I had an 80 but now with the 100, I don't have the like spare. You might can see a spool of wire too. It's for the LED lights underneath the trailer rack and in the awning. I need a better solution, like a coiled wire that allows the rack to extend up, but for now, I just use alligator clips to a motorcycle battery. I'd like to build a portable house battery box for the trailer. Something I can remove when the utility part is needed. I'm thinking a box with some switches on top for lights in awning, trailer bed, and in the future annex and tent lights. This might be wishful thinking, but is there a way to charge a battery from the trailer wiring? The 7-pin style wiring?

I have this same issue. When I got back from this trip was the worse. In my chuck box, everything was covered in steak sauce when the bottle broke open. I took it easy on the trail and bigger bumps but the trailer still jumps around. 3500# axles. Maybe I should take a leaf out or try different leaf springs like you. Did you have to move your mounting points?

I had this issue as well but it wasn't cold. I don't have a regulator in the line I was trying to use for the stove or the propane fire pit. Not sure if that could be the cause or what, but there was no gas to either one and it was a full tank.

Good looking rig @dubyahard ...

You asked if you could get power of the 7 pin for battery box on page 1. Yes you can, the terminal in the 1 o’clock position should be power... if that was answered already my bad, I was scrolling for pics...

This was a few weeks back, landscaping...

402DBD4F-2B68-4695-8B35-096E022E48E7.jpeg

Just got back from a vacation in Florida. The trailer worked great- the pintle made no noticeable noise while towing on the highway, and only minimal noise when on the back roads. I put over 3000 miles on the Jeep/trailer combo last week, over highway, back road, and sand roads, and all I can say is the pintle/lunette setup is the best for this vehicle over everything else I've tried.

IMG_20190809_131214199.jpg

We had ample storage space for glamping. Now that we are back home, I can get to work on the things that I found that I didn't like or didn't have enough time to fix. Like the axle- I'm going to use the same axle, but with a 1 1/2" wheel spacer my stock Jeep rims will fit the wide hubs. I'm going to shorten the axle by cutting the center piece out and welding a stub inside the axle. If it doesn't work I'll just buy a custom axle with 38 1/2" between the center of the spring perches.

Then I can get rid of the 13" wheels and spare. I'm going to add a set of cables to the rear tailgate to keep it from flopping down and hitting the tail lights. One is already damaged, and I'll have to replace it someday, but it still works for now. Interior lights would be great, and I'll add a few LED's when I switch over to a 7 pin round plug. Electric brakes maybe?

IMG_20190807_205555372.jpg

The panhandle of Florida is a paradise, if you don't mind being hot and wet 100% of the time you are there. I love it, but never get a chance to stay long enough to acclimate, and am happy to get home to dry off. Beaches and dunes, fresh cold water springs, swamp trails- everything but rocks or snow!

IMG_20190808_132834802_HDR.jpg

Something that I suggest when I remember to do so is when wring/re-wiring a trailer to put a trailer light socket on the tongue. Then make up a jumper to go from it to your tow rig. Can make different jumpers for TR's with different trailer light sockets or connectors. The other bonus is that when the trailer is in storage the electrical connector isn't sitting out in the weather or laying on the ground in the mud, or both.

Camping with famn damily. 2nd trip with the A-liner and I'm really getting the hang of this thing. It is a truly luxurious setup compared to the hiker. We can stand up, we can cook inside if we wish (we don't wish), wife can take care of her daily medical routine in comfort and we can stash a toilet inside for night time use. Still compact enough to get around easily (about the same overall dimensions as the hiker when folded up), but it desperately needs a lift. It almost drags just pulling out of the driveway due to the height difference with my truck.

20190810_074327.jpg

Camping with famn damily. 2nd trip with the A-liner and I'm really getting the hang of this thing. It is a truly luxurious setup compared to the hiker. We can stand up, we can cook inside if we wish (we don't wish), wife can take care of her daily medical routine in comfort and we can stash a toilet inside for night time use. Still compact enough to get around easily (about the same overall dimensions as the hiker when folded up), but it desperately needs a lift. It almost drags just pulling out of the driveway due to the height difference with my truck.

View attachment 2059628

I almost bought a nearly identical Aliner a few months ago out of the 100-mile-house region in BC. It was the ~10ft version with the off-road package; seemed like a perfect setup, but the seller was an absolute "C U Next Thursday" to deal with, and I gave up on the idea purely because of that.

Seems like a phenomenal compromise between comfort, room, features, ease of setup, and light weight/small size.

We previously bought an older A-liner of the same size (scout lite, IIRC?) but it had water tanks, stove, furnace, etc, and proved too heavy for my 80 to pull, which is how we ended up with the Hiker (about 700lbs). This is the stripped down base model with no extras, and I think it's around 1000-1100 lbs, although I haven't weighed it. Anyway, it pulls just as easily as the hiker behind the 80 (maybe the better aero?), but it's too heavy to grab the tongue and manhandle it around by hand, so I'll just have to improve my reversing skills.

@Heckraiser or @eatSleepWoof , How many do those A-liners sleep? Especially the Hiker or other 10' one?

When I was considering that trailer I was able to find floor plans at various dealers.

Sleeping arrangements vary between models. IIRC, the smallest models, at around 10' of length, had a single sleeping area that was 75" long and around 50-55" wide (just enough for two medium-sized people). However, there was certainly lots of other interior room which could have been adapted for sleeping kid(s), and plenty of room for pets.

If I had the 10' model and kids came along, I'd adapt the trailer until it no longer worked for us (ie. kids grew too big). But if I already had kids when I was shopping, I'd go for one of the larger models with a dedicated second bed from the get-go.

Ours is a 10' box but has two separate beds, 40" and 30" wide each (the 40" wide bed converts into a table/booth, but we leave it as a bed all the time). Some of the 10" trailers have a single queen size bed or a single double size bed instead. They make larger campers that have accomodation for families to sleep 4+, but I have no experience with those. Lots of different configurations available.

There are also other companies that make hard-sided pop up trailers too, although I'm told A-liner makes the best quality. Chalet, Rockwood, etc. Some of them are downright huge and not suitable for use in the woods.

The Hiker is completely different concept--it's basically a teardrop trailer only without the teardrop shape (see post #37 in this thread)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom