What did you do with your trailer this weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If we keep it long term, the plan is to.........

20180812_163350_resized-jpg.1766663

I would highly recommend putting some good long leaf springs and shocks under it at a minimum. My teardrop was running pretty standard trailer springs for about 15yrs and its like a new trailer both on and off the road after putting FJ60 leafs and some simple shocks under it. It is soooooo smooth now! No bouncing what so ever. Probably the best mod I have ever done to it. If you ever want to see it in person, let me know. I live in the Springs and am in Denver often.

I would highly recommend putting some good long leaf springs and shocks under it at a minimum. My teardrop was running pretty standard trailer springs for about 15yrs and its like a new trailer both on and off the road after putting FJ60 leafs and some simple shocks under it. It is soooooo smooth now! No bouncing what so ever. Probably the best mod I have ever done to it. If you ever want to see it in person, let me know. I live in the Springs and am in Denver often.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking some mini-truck leaf springs would be a good match (maybe take out a leaf). What kind of shocks do you use for a light trailer?

I wont make you drag your camper up here, but we might hit you up some time when we head down south :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking some mini-truck leaf springs would be a good match (maybe take out a leaf). What kind of shocks do you use for a light trailer?

I wont make you drag your camper up here, but we might hit you up some time when we head down south :)

I think mini truck springs would be just fine. I was lucky enough to run across some FJ60 springs for a song, but if that didn't happen I would have done any spring longer than about 40", then just add/remove leafs to get the height you want.

I know a bunch of guys running these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COSAGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so I followed suit.

I think mini truck springs would be just fine. I was lucky enough to run across some FJ60 springs for a song, but if that didn't happen I would have done any spring longer than about 40", then just add/remove leafs to get the height you want.

I know a bunch of guys running these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COSAGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so I followed suit.
I have my FJ62 leaf springs. Would those work under a popup camper you think?

I have my FJ62 leaf springs. Would those work under a popup camper you think?

I bet they would. If I had those I’d use them for sure. Nice thing is that they are 2.5” width so there’s tons of brackets out there to make them work.

I’ve loaded with 400ft of fencing material. Only went 4 miles with it.

D9F85D62-BB06-4D4E-8A99-3E173FA8EA8E.jpeg

369CA800-DEAE-4DF0-A1DC-A7CC0249DE6D.jpeg

A wire lift is something I saw was used to raise “popup” campers. I figured it might work to raise my rtt from low while driving to higher than my head in camp.

In my build thread I have more more details, a few drawings and photos.

The 4x6 expo trailer build.

Two weeks ago, bought an A-liner. Last week, dragged the A-liner to Yellowstone (convinced the wife to go with a little buddy heater and a CO alarm). This week, sold the hiker and put the A-liner in storage at the rental house.

The A-liner is a little heavier and much lower to the ground--definitely not off-road friendly at all in stock form. It is the stripped down version with no furnace, no fridge, no water tanks, etc, and is definitely lighter than the one we got rid of last year. It has a nice torsion axle that really smooths things out, and I think lifting it a few inches will be as simple as two blocks of rectangle tubing between the frame and axle mounts. This thing is kinda big and unwieldy for my tastes, but the overall dimensions are actually very similar to the hiker. Really it's for the wife, not for me, so whatever makes her happy.

20180930_180147_resized.jpg
20181005_105316_resized.jpg
20181005_112950_resized.jpg
20181005_125827_resized.jpg
20181005_131748_resized.jpg

lifting it a few inches will be as simple as two blocks of rectangle tubing between the frame and axle mounts

It will be easy. 2x2x1/4 is normally a perfect fit. Last one I helped on was a Casita and using the blocks worked perfectly.

Man....I love the Teton's and Yellowstone, your pics make me want to go back:(

Last edited:
Took it out for the weekend. First time really driving for a long time on dirt roads with the new long springs under the teardrop. Almost nothing shifted in the trailer which was really nice for a change.
pwiretd.jpg
pwiretd3.jpg
pwiretd2.jpg

The A-liner is a little heavier and much lower to the ground--definitely not off-road friendly at all in stock form. It is the stripped down version with no furnace, no fridge, no water tanks, etc, and is definitely lighter than the one we got rid of last year. It has a nice torsion axle that really smooths things out, and I think lifting it a few inches will be as simple as two blocks of rectangle tubing between the frame and axle mounts. This thing is kinda big and unwieldy for my tastes, but the overall dimensions are actually very similar to the hiker. Really it's for the wife, not for me, so whatever makes her happy.
Grand pictures!
If you do lift it I will suggest adding shocks to it. The ride gets even better and if my hypothesis is correct you considerably lower the risk of the rubber de-vulcanizing like AT claims they do.

No go on getting out of town this weekend, so I installed some solar and started to rework the galley. Pulled the stove/oven combo and will be going with drawers and a slide out for the new stove. Gave it a bath too, before putting it away for another week.
IMG_4626.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom