The 4x6 expo trailer build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking and drawing plans for a lot of months now. Late last night I jumped in and ordered the Timbren 2000k suspension and 6x5.5 hubs. Today, I started the full size 2x4 based wood mock up. The plan is to fine tune the tounge length and throw the axles on for some testing.

Basics:
4x6’ bed with extendable tounge say 3’6 to 6’
Timbren 2000k with 4” Lift suspension
Chassis of 2x3, .120 wall ASTMA-500
Tounge made of 2x3, .120 wall
Receiver tube for the receiver tube 3x3, .250
Extension tube 2.5x2.5, .250
CU offroad max coupler xl
2’ tall sides steel frame (tbd)
Tailgate (tbd)
Fenders (tbd)
Custom size tonneau vinyl cover
Removable pneumatic rtt lift
6 on 5.5 spacers to convert to 5x150’s
Spare tire underneath
Rear receiver for toys

What’s not planned: (already in the 100 series)
Kitchen in the trailer
Fridge in the trailer

I’m on a deadline so I want to outsource some jobs like the welding and maybe powder coating. I’ll be getting the steel cut to length where it makes sense.
62A64E75-D630-438A-80B4-5A6687DF9AB3.jpeg

Timbren 2k Axless Suspension arrived. It sure is beefy stuff. Here is it sitting on a 33” tire and wheel to give you the size.
899B08E9-C080-463B-91D1-080DB6630173.jpeg

The tongue supports the frame and ties into the second cross member. Like the wood model, I’ll be using 90 angle brackets to join the frame to the tongue.
D42052E3-F57C-4EFA-BD2F-B4F8C22ED38B.jpeg

The wheel spacers are going on today, 6 on 5.5 to 5x150, for my 100 Series Land Cruiser wheels. I will have a rolling chasis today! I plan to test basic trailer manners and the adjustable tounge length for the final design.

Rolling test chassis. The main check points are the tongue length making sure the shortest 4.5’ and the longest 6.5’ back in a predictable manner. The results were great, both tongue lengths backed up fine. I added some wood clamps, to help in seeing the trailer during backing. The swing out cleared the trailer. The trailer jackknifed cleared the bumper.
22835725-5AE9-41A2-B1D9-EF9D2C274BA7.jpeg

4EECEFA6-9251-4239-911A-3CF0565B35D4.jpeg

D18DDEA6-36DA-4252-9433-3CD69D53B792.jpeg

I forgot to order lug nuts, but fortunately I had the PO’s 4 keyed nuts and the key.
B47A89FD-3D13-48C1-9454-22303736960E.jpeg

Rolling confirmed many aspects of the design and I can proceed with the bed box.

Decided on 22” high sides after making sure the lifted RTT will be above my head.

Placed the CVT Mt Shasta on top of the trailer box, for a look see. This is almost exactly the lowered ride height with a planned 22 gas lift setup planned to clear my head when setup in camp. It will open up over the tire and the annex zips on below that making about a 6x9’ enclosed area.
685B77F9-0601-454C-9D5D-3BC59E42D06F.jpeg

I have been finalizing the parts needed. The max coupler has arrived. The mig welder has been assembled.

More parts:
Tail Lights
Side Lights
7 way wire
Spare Tire Winch (reusing the 100 series one)
Latches
Hinges
Pistons

After some consideration I have decided to reduce the weight and change complexity by not using a nested 3x3 and 2.5x2.5 double sliding tongue extension. Instead I am planning a fixed 3’6” 2.5 receiver and a 30” extension receiver. I can use the extension for the smooth road drives and drop it and use the shorter one piece for off road.

I felt that instead of a weighty adjustment feature the reality would be on the short to long end most of the time.

Next steps get all the parts, finalize the steel and practice welding some more.

Looks good, but to me the lower welds are a bit flatter, better penetration. Don't let weld build
up on you. Gas is always better. Get a face mask respirator, don't get stuck in a garage with
fumes and smoke building up. I always keep a 12" fan oscillating in the corner just to keep it moving.
Keep an upper window open.
I'm glad you're not building out of wood. LOL!

Looks good, but to me the lower welds are a bit flatter, better penetration. Don't let weld build
up on you. Gas is always better. Get a face mask respirator, don't get stuck in a garage with
fumes and smoke building up. I always keep a 12" fan oscillating in the corner just to keep it moving.
Keep an upper window open.
I'm glad you're not building out of wood. LOL!

+1 on the welds, looks like solid penetration on the lower 3. if you have a band saw and can cut a section down the center of your test plate you should be able to get an actual visual on how well your welds are penetrating (depending on the plate thickness). Did you adjust the machine any while you were doing those test welds? some of them look like you weren't turned up high enough.

I’m placing the steel order for the chassis and the cargo box frame tomorrow. Wahoo! I have Saturday and Sunday to work on the build.
Placed the order today but delivery is Tuesday. More prep and practice is never a waste.

I just had to build a stand for the vice with a place for the grinders. The real work starts this weekend. I will be starting with location of the Timbren axles, drilling for the bolts and the inset led side and brake lights.
AFCA6266-B5C6-4F3C-8F7F-A4827E497795.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom