What did you do with your trailer this weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a 100 sitting there so I bet is does just a tad better than the 80:)
My 80 series friends say the 100 is smoother and has more punch. When towing this trailer, it takes about 30 minutes to forget it’s there. It does down shift outta overdrive on the hills to maintain speed.

For the last few years I've been looking for a camping solution to pull behind my Cruisers. I have a low mile 89 FJ62 converted to a new H55F manual and a 96 FZJ80. For years I've towed all manner of campers up to 28ft with my trust Ford Super Duty. Bought a larger popup camper with a 14.5ft box and it was a high wall (3,000lbs plus and that's dry weight) a couple years back hoping to pull that with my cruisers but it's a losing proposition. There's some pretty big hills between Phoenix and the much cooler north country up I-17. After lots of searching I finally found this gem a 2006 Fleetwood Yuma. It's a 9.5ft box, about 14ft overall, with no AC, no hot water heater, but it does have a furnace and a water pump. Just wanted something simple and light. It's 1500lbs dry weight. Can't wait to try it hooked to my FJ62. If that'll pull it then the much more modern inline six in the 80 series should pull it okay. Any predictions?

00H0H_8rJ3rKcBGmO_1200x900.jpg

Any predictions?

You'll have no problem with the 80. I have been pulling trailers for decades with an 80. It may be a bit slow on the way to Flag from CampVerde, or from Black Canyon city to Sunset Point, but just put it into second gear and enjoy the ride.

I picked this up to hopefully solve having to kick the tongue jack around in order to make it swivel. This thing supports 500lbs and has a bearing in the swivel with an 8" solid rubber wheel.
IMG_3865 (1).JPG
Should work better the relying on the entire shaft of the jack turning.

Last edited:
I picked this up to hopefully solve having to kick the tongue jack around in order to make it swivel. This thing supports 500lbs and has a bearing in the swivel with an 8" solid rubber wheel.View attachment 1758635 Should work better the relying on the entire shaft of the jack turning.
hey where did you get this bad boy? could you post a photo when you get it installed? thanks

You'll have no problem with the 80. I have been pulling trailers for decades with an 80. It may be a bit slow on the way to Flag from CampVerde, or from Black Canyon city to Sunset Point, but just put it into second gear and enjoy the ride.
hey thanks for the input that's encouraging. I tried it with the 62 last night and it was fine on the flats not bad at all, but hard to maintain any speed on uphills at highway speeds. I'm sure the 80 series motor will make the difference.

hey where did you get this bad boy? could you post a photo when you get it installed? thanks

Found it on Amazon after doing tons of googling about tongue jack wheel issues. I am pretty optimistic this will solve the issue. I will most definitely update everyone once it's on. Hopefully that will be this weekend.

For the last few years I've been looking for a camping solution to pull behind my Cruisers. I have a low mile 89 FJ62 converted to a new H55F manual and a 96 FZJ80. For years I've towed all manner of campers up to 28ft with my trust Ford Super Duty. Bought a larger popup camper with a 14.5ft box and it was a high wall (3,000lbs plus and that's dry weight) a couple years back hoping to pull that with my cruisers but it's a losing proposition. There's some pretty big hills between Phoenix and the much cooler north country up I-17. After lots of searching I finally found this gem a 2006 Fleetwood Yuma. It's a 9.5ft box, about 14ft overall, with no AC, no hot water heater, but it does have a furnace and a water pump. Just wanted something simple and light. It's 1500lbs dry weight. Can't wait to try it hooked to my FJ62. If that'll pull it then the much more modern inline six in the 80 series should pull it okay. Any predictions?

View attachment 1758539
Here's the camper hooked to the 62 for size.

camper2.jpg

camper1.jpg

Took the trailer to the local wheeling spot for the club picnic. It worked as a test for the wire lift and was a great low key event.
2A9CF3C4-C1D3-4C22-8058-64FEF1A44089.jpeg

EC7BA4F0-EB62-41F8-B1EE-B37004D73985.jpeg

FD6D3B27-517F-4D2B-8210-D31225A7298C.jpeg

8D8CA660-D439-43C3-9F6F-1488C2F5F8CE.jpeg

548BC495-D138-4849-95C8-804C30E248D6.jpeg

View attachment 1758539
have now had a chance to pull this my 60 series AND with my 80 series and the latter larger motor and truck makes a BIG difference over the FJ62. Not winning any races but I think it'll get me there.

Bought it from a 'mud member and towed it 150 miles home with the F150. It's a 7x? Datsun bed I believe with a Wildernest shell. Project and camping rig for my son (but I may have to test things out occasionally). Once home spent some time learning things and hooking it up to the 80 and Tacoma checking lights, etc... Gonna pull it around town tomorrow with both Toyotas to identify any quirks (if any). Pulled easy with the F150. So many ideas bouncing around in my and my son's heads about this trailer we're gonna have to prioritize and make a master plan. Possibilities seem endless

20180825_094552.jpg

IMG_20180825_143141.jpg

Just thought I would post up in here to subscribe. We've actually owned this trailer for a year, but only used it three times so far. It's a Hiker (teardrop layout). If we keep it long term, the plan is to upgrade the axle, put on some 16" tacoma steelies and 235/85r16's, and maybe a little bit of armor here and there or an awning room. We have done some light off-roading in it and it does just fine except for the fact it is very light and bounces around on stiff springs and probably too much air in the tires. :hillbilly:

20180812_163350_resized-jpg.1766663

Last edited:
Last edited:
Built a little table for each side of the galley. It will be nice to easily have a bit more counter space, or simply somewhere to sit things. I still need to stain and seal it, but there is plenty of time before next weekends trip.

tble-2.jpg
tble.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom