What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was putting my ‘92 back together after a deserved full paint job. Clear coat was starting to fail after 32 years. I made new door cards and upholstered them while the 80 was at the paint shop. All that’s left is repainting the front bumper, reinstalling the winch, and putting the Safari rack back on.

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

IMG_5286.jpeg

IMG_5292.jpeg

IMG_5323.jpeg

Was putting my ‘92 back together after a deserved full paint job. Clear coat was starting to fail after 32 years. I made new door cards and upholstered them while the 80 was at the paint shop. All that’s left is repainting the front bumper, reinstalling the winch, and putting the Safari rack back on.

View attachment 3598570

View attachment 3598571

View attachment 3598575

View attachment 3598576

View attachment 3598577
Phew.. Man, that makes me want to paint mine. (Same color)

@Hatari

Share the paint shop you used and the general work done / price if you don't mind, and if you think they did a good job.

I'm just up the road and may get my 80 repainted some time but finding a good shop that actually wants to paint older cars can be a challenge.

@Hatari

Share the paint shop you used and the general work done / price if you don't mind, and if you think they did a good job.

I'm just up the road and may get my 80 repainted some time but finding a good shop that actually wants to paint older cars can be a challenge.
I used: RWP Precision Paint in Clermont,GA. Don’t have the number close at hand but you can find him easy enough (Robert). I don’t off road this 80 (at least hard), I’m the second owner and the first was a Dr. that used it to go to his office. I wanted a quality paint job under my circumstances and Robert has done work on several Porsches, vintage Jags, etc. so he came recommended by some friends I have in those circles. As you mentioned, finding someone to paint an older whole vehicle can be a challenge for sure. He will do it. As far as satisfaction, I am very satisfied. Since I went back with the original Toyota color, it didn’t have to be fully disassembled but all the bumpers, flares, mirrors, etc were removed. (I refinished all the trim parts and door cards while he had the car in the shop). I drive this 80 most every day and while I wanted a good paint job I didn’t want a concourse job. All this said, he’s not cheap, but the work is excellent (IMHO) and he stands behind his work. I paid in the 10k range (and that included dent removal) but I think it was worth it for what I wanted. I did as much of the prep as I could (trim removal, etc.) as I could to help keep costs down. A color change job would have been much more (everything has to come off).

Thanks @Hatari It's good to have that contact and $10k sounds about right based on my research. As you said though, it's expensive!

Congrats, your 80 looks amazing.
Thanks much. As you know… They’re a labor of love (and a little $)! I’ll post a few more pics once I get the rack, ladder, and winch back on. I hope to install a jeep top hoist in the garage this weekend so I can install and remove the rack by myself.

View attachment 3598570

View attachment 3598571

View attachment 3598575

View attachment 3598576

View attachment 3598577
Looks great! What material did you use to fab your door cards?

Looks great! What material did you use to fab your door cards?
Thank you! I used the original cards for patterns (2 out of the 4 of them were pretty deteriorated ) and 1/8” Masonite from HD for the new cards. Had to trace the locations for the holes for the snap clips, holes for the door opener mechanisms, etc. then cut or drill all the opening out. Was sort of a pain but worth the effort in the end. I retired from the Military boot business a couple of years ago and my going away present was enough of the current Army Coyote suede leather and Coyote nylon Cordura as a retirement gift for my seat covers and door panels. I did the seats last year and just did the doors since it was getting painted. Thanks again and glad you like it.

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_3633.jpeg

Had this guy delivered today. Crawled all over it. Fixed a few small things, like the hood that wouldn't latch. Also figured out I need some gas shocks for the hood.

View attachment 3599030
Wow, CLEAN!!!! What are your plans for it? Kinda dig the wheels. Nice to see one with something different on it.

For this type of snorkel yes, but the long version is much more cutting. Mine is the short version
This is the long version cut.
Screenshot_20240404-124515_Gallery.jpg

Wow, CLEAN!!!! What are your plans for it? Kinda dig the wheels. Nice to see one with something different on it.

Thanks! To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I've actually got my eye on another one. IF I get it, I will probably put this one up for sale. To answer your question, I will probably go with some 33 or 35 inch tires that are a little more aggressive. (although not my first choice, will probably go with BFG KM3's. I'm limited because I like skinny tires) Would like to do a 3" exhaust on the inside of the frame rail, Front and rear bumpers, winch, skid pans, rock rails, lower t-case gears, etc....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom